PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Taylor Ham (Pork Roll to the dirty south Jersey residents). I buy it as a 6 or 7 pound full log and slice it myself. The pre boxed stuff is not as good, but suitable in a pinch. I have tried to eat it at deli’s outside NJ who try to make it and I have yet to find a place outside the state that knows what to do with it correctly. If you find yourself NJ, you owe it to yourself to go to a good deli and get a sandwich.

Working in Jersey for nearly 20 years, I got an education on Taylor Ham. I found most places buy a sub-quality no-name pork-roll vs the real deal Taylor brand (which is about $6/pound!).

In Maryland, we worship at the alter of the Chesapeake Bay Blue Crab - steamed of course (who in the hell boils seafood????), with plenty of Old Bay (Louisiana: you can keep your Zatarans)

1638409446025.png

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
What if I told you that about 2 years ago I discovered these existed and was very curious to see how they tasted. You can find them anywhere here. Something like a raspberry blueberry taste?
I think it's close to blueberry with a bit of black currant

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
White barbeque sauce, started at Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur, Alabama, in the 1940's, but you can now buy it in any Alabama grocers. It is a vinegar and mayonaise barbeque sauce used on barbeque'd chicken, mmmm mmm good.
Boiled peanuts... the caviar of the South. Don't knock it, till you've tried it.
Fried Okra... if you have never tried okra, then you have no idea what you are missing.
Fried Green tomatoes... people down here love them, but they give me the runs, so...
Grits, I love when friends from up North or abroad tell me that they think grits is gross, but then go on and on about polenta... it's the same thing!!! We use lye to turn the corn to hominy, and then grind that into cornmeal, and the larger particles are filtered out to make grits/polenta.
I am as yankee as you can get and I really love grits (polenta too). I'm sure that there are southern cooks who knock it out of the park in a way that few cooks in the north can. But, still love it and order grits any chance I get and make it at home frequently. Real comfort food.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Yeah, some nice eats in here and all, but do you guys have bagged milk?

View attachment 112245View attachment 112246
Not for many, many years but yes, for several weeks after the birth of each of our daughters we had a steady supply in the refrigerator - not from a cow! As wonderful as all the miracles of nature are, it just wasn't what I wanted to see when I opened up the refrigerator though I did my share of warming it up in the middle of the night, lol. Oh the many mammaries of those days . . . .

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just recently introduced, just for Canada - timbiebs, a special limited edition of Timbits™ produced in collaboration with Stratford's favorite son.

images

There is also a line of merchandise as well:

_1_timbiebs_composite.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
N.C. seafood specialties that make it inland, but are best sampled at the coast, include shrimp, flounder, soft-shell crab (which is a seasonal form of regular crab), mullet, bluefish, sea bass, etc. One distinct delicacy is Spanish mackerel, that come in runs. They have a recognizable flavor, not everyone's favorite, but delicious to me. When I'm at the coast around Moorhead City, I like Bogue Sound clam chowder at The Sanitary Fish Market.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
King Crab, Copper River Reds, and maybe muktuk which is an acquired taste. Geoduck pronounced (goo-ey duck), which is a Pacific Northwest clam, the best ones are Alaskan of course. Geoduck makes a great fritter.
Not a Muktuk fan, but the King Crab, the Reds, and almost any wild caught salmon, and the Geoduck are among my all-time short list favorite things to eat!

Ohhh, biscuits with chocolate gravy. Actually, I HATE them, ha ha. As a kid I would stay with other friends whose mom would make them for us for breakfast, and I remember going hungry tioll I would get home to get real food.
But, I cannot eat sweets for breakfast at all. I can't even stomach waffles or pancakes. But. my wife, when the mood hits her, I have to make it for her. But, I never eat it.
The gravy is actually a pudding... which is double blech from me, as I can't stomach chocolate pudding or even chocolate pie (which is essentially a pudding also) at all either.

Reactions: FurCoat and JOHN72

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
White barbeque sauce, started at Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur, Alabama, in the 1940's, but you can now buy it in any Alabama grocers. It is a vinegar and mayonaise barbeque sauce used on barbeque'd chicken, mmmm mmm good.
Boiled peanuts... the caviar of the South. Don't knock it, till you've tried it.
Fried Okra... if you have never tried okra, then you have no idea what you are missing.
Fried Green tomatoes... people down here love them, but they give me the runs, so...
Grits, I love when friends from up North or abroad tell me that they think grits is gross, but then go on and on about polenta... it's the same thing!!! We use lye to turn the corn to hominy, and then grind that into cornmeal, and the larger particles are filtered out to make grits/polenta.
Love fried okra. But it's horrid when boiled. Yeah, some people actually do that. Comes out a slimy green gob of nastiness.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Where about?

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts. It cuts down on posts or PMs asking where you are.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.
Done! I agree it is useful to know when reading people’s posts. My friend in the city (Philly) seems to always have Vernor’s on deck for mixing whiskey gingers. But I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it in various grocers north of the city, up my way. I don’t honestly pay it much mind because I prefer my ginger ales to be really hot/spicy. Plus I usually drink my brown neat, and I don’t drink soda alone much …sugar doesn’t agree with my body chemistry unfortunately.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.