PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I grew up in SE Texas where alot of differend cultures came together. There is amazing food and music down there and while I miss it, I now call NE Ohio home.

Around the Cleveland area there is a heavy population of Polish & Irish descendants. As such we have some pretty uniqe food around here too.

Perogies, a potato dumpling... Webp.net-compress-image-2-735x735.jpg

Paczkis, a filled Polish donut HMU53MVJOREVZAPATNJOVVFNFQ.jpg

The Buckeye, a peanut butter candy dipped in chocolate buckeye-candies-05-735x1103.jpg

... and my personal favorite, the Irish eggroll... cornbeef & cabbage served with 1000 Island dipping sauceReuben-Egg-Rolls-8.jpg

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Here in NE Wisconsin we have a few:

The Danish Kringle pastry
1638375379972.png

Booyah (long cooked stew made in huge batches):
1638375472383.png

Friday Fish Fries at almost every restaurant with Walleye and Lake Perch,
TONS of Brats and Beer (and beer brats)
and of course the ubiquitous Cheese Curds, aka "Squeaky Cheese." If they aren't still warm-from-the-dairy-fresh, they aren't good ones:
1638375837774.png

Last edited:

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
In no particulair order.

The liquor is a jenever or gin but stored for 3 years (they even have older, I prefer the 3 years old). The fish is called haring, which is caught, gutted on the ship, stored in salt and then served raw with onions, typically from a food truck kind of stand on farmers markets or at malls. It also sold in a yar in vinigar like pickels. The cookie is stroopwafel, which is a thin cookie made from dough and syrup. And the candy is dubbel zoute drop, double salted liqorice, if I buy it while doing groceries or at a gasstation ill eat the bag in a blink of an eye and have an unhealthy bloodpressure which you instantly regret.

specialty oude jenever.jpgspecialty haring.jpgspecialty stroopwafel.jpgspecialty zoute drop.jpg

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
and then there's this:
At Canal Park in Akron, OH (home to the AA Akron Rubber Ducks) one of the food vendors serves something called the 3 Dog Night, which consists of a standard hot dog stuffed inside a bratwurst stuffed inside a kielbasa, served on an enormous bun and topped with sauerkraut and stadium mustard. I like mine with peppers.IMG_1682.JPGcanal-park-food-three-dog-night.jpg

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Taylor Ham (Pork Roll to the dirty south Jersey residents). I buy it as a 6 or 7 pound full log and slice it myself. The pre boxed stuff is not as good, but suitable in a pinch. I have tried to eat it at deli’s outside NJ who try to make it and I have yet to find a place outside the state that knows what to do with it correctly. If you find yourself NJ, you owe it to yourself to go to a good deli and get a sandwich.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
At Canal Park in Akron, OH (home to the AA Akron Rubber Ducks) one of the food vendors serves something called the 3 Dog Night, which consists of a standard hot dog stuffed inside a bratwurst stuffed inside a kielbasa, served on an enormous bun and topped with sauerkraut and stadium mustard. I like mine with peppers.View attachment 112083View attachment 112084
I really like stadiums have their own stadium food. The major sport here is soccer and you can usually get some fries or fried snack with it but that's it.

This hun makes me think: I forgot the honorable mentioning of the frikadel speciaal, which is a kind of sausage from pork and beef, fried, cut open and mayo, ketchup or curry (not the Indian curry, but more a ketchup like sauce which is more spicy than sweet) and onions in it. Fast food chains like BK, McD and KFC are a thing here, but the mom and pop fast food restaurants are still very populair.

frikandel-speciaal-550x550.jpg

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
What kinds of food are specific to where you are, and can't be bought anywhere else?

I cant speak for Ontario exactly, but recently it came to my attention that the following items were unavailable in the US, and may be Canada only.

1. Ketchup Chips

91GSJSJbWCL._SY741_PIbundle-3,TopRight,0,0_SX560SY741SH20_.jpg

2. All Dressed Chips

View attachment 112019

3. Vernors (a regional thing in Southwestern Ontario, think Ginger ale with more punch)

719UXZw5bqL._SL1500_.jpg
We get Verners in Pennsylvania. But I think this is a great idea for a thread!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
We get Verners in Pennsylvania. But I think this is a great idea for a thread!
Where about?

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts. It cuts down on posts or PMs asking where you are.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
1638367590039.png

Mrs. Fisher's Chips
I love that logo, and the fact that it looks like the potato is struggling to control those kids.

No mention of poutine??
Poutine, which is pronounced (poo-tin) is a decidedly Québec treat. But since no member from there has posted yet, here ya go:

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__serious_eats__seriouseats.com__recipes__images__2015__03__20150327-poutine-joshua-bousel-2d4d31bbf89a441baff9a8c4011959d7.jpg

Saskatoon pie

What if I told you that about 2 years ago I discovered these existed and was very curious to see how they tasted. You can find them anywhere here. Something like a raspberry blueberry taste?

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
photo3jpg.jpg

Cincinnati style Chili. Very different than Texas Chili. No beans. Original recipe came from Greece, has cinnamon and is more like a heavy soup.

Served 2 different ways.

Poured over a hot dog with mustard + onions and then covered in cheese

Poured over spaghettis, then covered with onions, beans and/or cheese.

Great drunk food that will clean out the pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.