PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I really like stadiums have their own stadium food. The major sport here is soccer and you can usually get some fries or fried snack with it but that's it.

This hun makes me think: I forgot the honorable mentioning of the frikadel speciaal, which is a kind of sausage from pork and beef, fried, cut open and mayo, ketchup or curry (not the Indian curry, but more a ketchup like sauce which is more spicy than sweet) and onions in it. Fast food chains like BK, McD and KFC are a thing here, but the mom and pop fast food restaurants are still very populair.
My late brother in law we used to call "Frikkadel" (meat ball), as his name was "Frikkie" or "Frederik"

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
photo3jpg.jpg

Cincinnati style Chili. Very different than Texas Chili. No beans. Original recipe came from Greece, has cinnamon and is more like a heavy soup.

Served 2 different ways.

Poured over a hot dog with mustard + onions and then covered in cheese

Poured over spaghettis, then covered with onions, beans and/or cheese.

Great drunk food that will clean out the pipes.
Wowza. My pipes would be squeaky (and squeaking) clean after a helping of that!

Reactions: briarbuck

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
In no particulair order.

The liquor is a jenever or gin but stored for 3 years (they even have older, I prefer the 3 years old). The fish is called haring, which is caught, gutted on the ship, stored in salt and then served raw with onions, typically from a food truck kind of stand on farmers markets or at malls. It also sold in a yar in vinigar like pickels. The cookie is stroopwafel, which is a thin cookie made from dough and syrup. And the candy is dubbel zoute drop, double salted liqorice, if I buy it while doing groceries or at a gasstation ill eat the bag in a blink of an eye and have an unhealthy bloodpressure which you instantly regret.

View attachment 112078View attachment 112075View attachment 112076View attachment 112077
I think I might be one of a few foreigners that likes the salted licorice. It's not an instant reward candy. Kind of harsh and then wonderful. But once you find that out suddenly the first part tastes great too.

Reactions: yohanan
One food type that seems to be more numerous in Huntsville than Baptist Churches are home owned BBQ restaurants and/or take out.
Yeh, down here, almost every gas station or parking lot come summer, will have a trailer with a huge smoker on it. Selling ribs to anyone within smelling distance.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Boiled peanuts... the caviar of the South. Don't knock it, till you've tried it.
Fried Okra... if you have never tried okra, then you have no idea what you are missing.
Fried Green tomatoes... people down here love them, but they give me the runs, so...
Grits, I love when friends from up North or abroad tell me that they think grits is gross, but then go on and on about polenta... it's the same thing!!! We use lye to turn the corn to hominy, and then grind that into cornmeal, and the larger particles are filtered out to make grits/polenta.
I'd echo all of these for my home town regional exclusives. Now that I live out west, two things that I've only seen around here are "fry sauce"(mayonnaise and ketchup mixed together in its own official packet) and Steak Fingers.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I grew up in Boston and after 33 yeas I moved to Rhode Island an hour away. R.I is a great food state as was Boston and Mass..
Rhode Island has it's own clam chowder and it is amazing. It is a clear broth with clams potato's, celery. That's all that is in there and it is impressive. They also sold these wieners with meat sauce , onions, mustard and celery salt. The hot dog box said grade D but edible. R.I's loved them. I had to be real drunk to eat one.

I am now stuck in food hell and I cannot believe one city could suck so bad.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
My late brother in law we used to call "Frikkadel" (meat ball), as his name was "Frikkie" or "Frederik"
The spelling of the snack is different for some ppl and even in different regions of the country it's called different, just like in the south and Belgium we call fries Friet, where North of the major rivers its called Patat from Potato. A frikadel is indeed a meatball, some German regions call it that way if I remember correctly.

Our local Walmart sells Stroopwafels. I like to place a cookie on my cup of hot tea to warm them.
View attachment 112117

And that's the classic way to warm them! Even better is buying them warm and fresh at a stand on a farmers market or at a mall or shops, just like the haring.

I think I might be one of a few foreigners that likes the salted licorice. It's not an instant reward candy. Kind of harsh and then wonderful. But once you find that out suddenly the first part tastes great too.

I've heard more ppl that enjoy double slated liquorice. A former Co worker of me is South African, she almost took a suitcase full when she visited. The Taiwanese at that same job were also fond of it, but that took time.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Kevin does run a foodie blog also. Maybe he would join in, if he wasn't on vacation in NYC.
Oh great just what we need. Even more reason to tell our diets to fuck off. :)
I've heard more ppl that enjoy double slated liquorice. A former Co worker of me is South African, she almost took a suitcase full when she visited. The Taiwanese at that same job were also fond of it, but that took time.
It is a great treat but it's off putting to a lot of people at least at first.

Reactions: sablebrush52
Status
Not open for further replies.