PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Coffee Crisp has a light coffee / mocha flavour. @scloyd knows what I'm talking about.

View attachment 112140View attachment 112141

Crush Cream Soda

I remember this being hot pink when I was a kid. @SBC is a fan I think.

View attachment 112143

Crispy Crunch

Similar to Butterfinger, but more, I don't know, flaky and less peanut buttery?

View attachment 112144View attachment 112145
Recently a friend sent me some ketchup chips, Coffee Crisps along with other great candies. The Coffee Crisps are amazing. I love coffee even though I can't drink it. Thanks Mike.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well, it's L.A., and while you're mostly out of luck when it comes to pipe tobacco, food is different, and you can find pretty much everything else, from all across the planet.

The supermarket was invented here, so no surprise.

The French dip sandwich was invented here, either at Phillipe's or at Cole's, both still going strong for well over 100 years. And we have Langer's, literally world renowned for their Pastrami.

San Francisco is the birthplace of Cioppino.

Leave us not forget the California Roll.

Most supermarkets (invented here) carry Vernor's

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I see a number of other NC folks have mentioned the BBQ. I also saw fried okra was mentioned and that was an ever present side at my grandma's and it always reminds me of her.

I didn't see moonshine mentioned though. While I love a good aged whiskey whether it's scotch, rye, bourbon, or Irish, there is something special about a mason jar full of crystal clear shine.

Another delicious NC snack is a MoonPie and Cheerwine. It's like the two were made to accompany one another.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
There are a lot of people posting in this thread that make me wish there was an Annual Pipesmagazine BBQ
I hope its not my cuisine; raw fish, snacks made of waste products in the food industry and a bunch of sugar and salt. Ok, I can take the liquor! I would commit a murder for a quality Southern BBQ restaurant near the city I live in. Not to brag, I can BBQ quite ok myself, but I really don't have the time to make pulled pork (or beef, which I prefer), brisket or ribs...

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
We spent many vacations in Michigan's UP and eating pasties was a treat. If I remember correctly, they were meat, potato and carrots in a dough like pocket. The story goes that miners years ago cooked them in their metal hardhats and ate them for lunch. Not sure if that's a regional thing or if they're even available anymore in the UP.

Definitely still available up there. I'd eat more of them when we visit up there if I could year myself away from world class freshwater fish

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
White barbeque sauce, started at Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur, Alabama, in the 1940's, but you can now buy it in any Alabama grocers. It is a vinegar and mayonaise barbeque sauce used on barbeque'd chicken, mmmm mmm good.
Boiled peanuts... the caviar of the South. Don't knock it, till you've tried it.
Fried Okra... if you have never tried okra, then you have no idea what you are missing.
Fried Green tomatoes... people down here love them, but they give me the runs, so...
Grits, I love when friends from up North or abroad tell me that they think grits is gross, but then go on and on about polenta... it's the same thing!!! We use lye to turn the corn to hominy, and then grind that into cornmeal, and the larger particles are filtered out to make grits/polenta.
Im going to keep this list goin
Brunswick stew
Muscadine grapes
Red eye gravy
Pulled pork and slaw
Texas Pete
Sun Drop soda
Pepsi and salted Lance peanuts
Fried corn bread
Sweet iced tea
Shrimp n Grits
Gizzards
Collard/ Mustard/ Turnip greens
Fat back
Chittlins
Chicken bog
Hush puppies

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
Blood sausage
ATQLu70l.jpg

Salty pork fat
DM15y5el.jpg

Herring under a fur coat
Oavbea3l.jpg

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Crush Cream Soda

I remember this being hot pink when I was a kid. @SBC is a fan I think.

Hands down the best cream soda! (eh?)

@mikethompson -- having learned that I was jonesing for the goodies of my Canadian childhood -- recently sent me ketchup chips, pink cream soda, and a truckload of other Canuck delicacies. What a guy!

Mike, keep your stick on the ice!

We spent many vacations in Michigan's UP and eating pasties was a treat. If I remember correctly, they were meat, potato and carrots in a dough like pocket. The story goes that miners years ago cooked them in their metal hardhats and ate them for lunch. Not sure if that's a regional thing or if they're even available anymore in the UP.

I live on the border of the UP ("Yoopsconsin") -- as in, I walk down to the river from my yard, so literally on the border -- and yes, pasties are as much a thing as ever (maybe more than ever, for touristy reasons). Everybody has their opinions about who makes the best pasties.
I've never seen one with carrots, but the normal choice is between potato and rutabaga.
The hard hat thing is a tall tale, as you suspected, but it is true that miners' wives sent their husbands to the iron mines with these, as the thick ridge of a crust served as a handle that could be discarded (so as not to ingest overmuch ore and filth).

They are certainly available in Cornwall, where, I reckon, they were "born".

That's correct, John -- the southern UP's iron mines were populated by Cornish immigrants, even as the northern UP's copper mines were populated by Finnish immigrants. My wife was born and raised here, and is of Cornish descent (maiden name "Kimbrough"). The Cornish brought over the pasty with them.

The Danish Kringle pastry
Friday Fish Fries at almost every restaurant with Walleye and Lake Perch,
TONS of Brats and Beer (and beer brats)
and of course the ubiquitous Cheese Curds, aka "Squeaky Cheese." If they aren't still warm-from-the-dairy-fresh, they aren't good ones:

Mike, how have we not met up yet!? My kid just had a dentist appt. in GB today.
Well anyway, since Mike already covered NE WI, I'll just second his post. Everything he said!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I've never seen one with carrots,
It's been a long time since I've had one. I wasn't sure about the carrots. My sister lives in Eagle River, WI., so I might have to venture further north when I go to visit.

Reactions: SBC
Aug 1, 2012
In no particulair order.

The liquor is a jenever or gin but stored for 3 years (they even have older, I prefer the 3 years old). The fish is called haring, which is caught, gutted on the ship, stored in salt and then served raw with onions, typically from a food truck kind of stand on farmers markets or at malls. It also sold in a yar in vinigar like pickels. The cookie is stroopwafel, which is a thin cookie made from dough and syrup. And the candy is dubbel zoute drop, double salted liqorice, if I buy it while doing groceries or at a gasstation ill eat the bag in a blink of an eye and have an unhealthy bloodpressure which you instantly regret.

View attachment 112078View attachment 112075View attachment 112076View attachment 112077
I love all of these...except for that damnable licorice.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
There are a lot of people posting in this thread that make me wish there was an Annual Pipesmagazine BBQ
Let's do it. I've got ten acres and access to a BBQ trailer. ?

Attachments

• 236940173_353558466225947_6375648597307323344_n.jpg
    236940173_353558466225947_6375648597307323344_n.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 217399352_348037480111379_6811793117348886326_n.jpg
    217399352_348037480111379_6811793117348886326_n.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210812_194607.jpg
    20210812_194607.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.