PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Dry tobacco is good. Never can dry too much..

OK. I agree drying to a point is good. But bone dry tobacco suck donkey dick. Got a tin and the seal was broken. The vendor was very cooperative and sent me a new tin. They said to enjoy the tin that had broken seal. Why not? I figured the seal would have broken while getting to me. Open the tin and it looked dry. I had bad experience with bone dry tobacco before, so I was gonna dump it. Then decided, why not? Load a pipe and went outside. It was too harsh for my taste. Probably the seal was broken long before getting to me. Thought about pouring some whiskey in it and let it sit. Not sure if I want to waste whiskey.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Dry tobacco is good. Never can dry too much..

OK. I agree drying to a point is good. But bone dry tobacco suck donkey dick. Got a tin and the seal was broken. The vendor was very cooperative and sent me a new tin. They said to enjoy the tin that had broken seal. Why not? I figured the seal would have broken while getting to me. Open the tin and it looked dry. I had bad experience with bone dry tobacco before, so I was gonna dump it. Then decided, why not? Load a pipe and went outside. It was too harsh for my taste. Probably the seal was broken long before getting to me. Thought about pouring some whiskey in it and let it sit. Not sure if I want to waste whiskey.
Fresh bone dry is great though. Left for long periods it does ruin but just as it gets to that point is perfect.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I've lived with a myth before I started pipe smoking that I have debunked for myself in my very short time as a pipe smoker; pipe smoking is hard, has a very steep learning curve, you will get bitten.

Pipe smoking isn't hard and does in my opinion not have a steep learning curve, its how much you learn from every experience you have, if your stubbornly proceed with what ever you do "wrong" it will never work. Analyse the factors around everything that went "wrong", adjust your process and reset. I've not been bitten yet, but I also don't like straight Virginia blends, which also is a myth on its own.

I really LOL'ed at some remarks by the way.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I don’t know that they were happy, but the old men who smoked a pipe 60 years ago usually had one brand/blend.
I have one preferred blend. Yes, I am happy smoking it. I have others as well, but if I could smoke only that one blend, life would not in any way be diminished.

depriest1022

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 6, 2021
Arkansas
www.researchgate.net
One myth I have hard over and over is that if you smoke a pipe, your testicles will shrink, dry up and fall off and you will become impotent. Of course, since its my wife who has been saying it, I've ignored it.
Oh, the old “if a man makes a statement and there’s no woman around to hear it, is he is still wrong?” conundrum.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
One myth I have hard over and over is that if you smoke a pipe, your testicles will shrink, dry up and fall off and you will become impotent. Of course, since its my wife who has been saying it, I've ignored it.
Only if you smoke in the garage, the shed, or outdoors in all kinds of inclement weather. Your balls will actually grow more robust if you smoke in the house. Man up!

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Fresh bone dry is great though. Left for long periods it does ruin but just as it gets to that point is perfect.
That's a nice way of putting it, thanks, will adopt!

In terms of myths, I haven't seen it mentioned yet so here's mine: bringing a reamer in the same room with a pipe will cause a black hole to spawn at the location of the pipe and destroy the solar system. That is, unless the person bringing it has 20 years' experience in pipe restoration and has written at least 3 books about it. I regularly ream all cake out, and flush with water. The first smoke on nearly bare wood is always caviar.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Skip, who owns the Briary doesn't smoke. The other pipe shops in my area also are owned by non-smokers or rare occasion cigar smokers. There are two cigar shops owned by non-smokers in my area also.
While they know how to sell a pipe or a stogie, they usually are just saying shit they've heard over the years. These pipe things are usually more of a magical anomaly to them than they are to us, so yep, they say stupid shit.

And cigar guys... why can they not shut the hell up? I really don't know nor care about what famous cigar rolling expert made those stupid stogies. I don't even know the different names of the brands. I just want the strongest damn sticks in the store, pay my money and get out of there, before they start showing off their dicks and pissing against the walls. I think it is standard procedure to hire the most obnoxious, ugly sons of bitches with face tattoos and beards to their belts to set in these cigar shops saying shit to expose shoppers for not knowing as much as they know about cigars. YOU WIN, I don't, and I don't care. Just let me pay for these and get the hell away from the Hells Angels serial killer you've hired to run your register. A face tattoo just expresses to the world how much you hate humanity. I think you have to be a complete moron to open a cigar shop and the choices of employees proves it.
These days, I just order cigars from smokingpipes, so that I don't have to deal with the complete assholes that work and hang out in these shops. I'd rather be stabbed in the eye than hang out in a cigar shop.
Finally reading through this thread and stumbled across this gem. This is the content that keeps me coming back. Bravo.

How about the myth that Balkan Sobranie is good and worth the money?

Or that a pipe has to rested, and cleaned meticulously, or it’s not worth smoking?

Finally reading through this thread and stumbled across this gem. This is the content that keeps me coming back. Bravo.

How about the myth that Balkan Sobranie is good and worth the money?

Or that a pipe has to rested, and cleaned meticulously, or it’s not worth smoking?
I guess I should have prefaced my part with "Cigar guys in cigar shops" not just any "Cigar Guys."

Balkan Sobranie was a famous blend that gave us the term Balkans for a whole genre. But the stuff they sell in the stores now... I wouldn't even pay half of regular retail for that stuff, much less scalper prices people are paying.

Briars resting is more of an opinion than myth. But, yeh, when people push their opinions off on you, it becomes a myth.

Well, maybe.... but the resale of your house may well take a hit.
I don't even understand this. Just repaint, and shampoo the carpets... I'd challenge anyone to smell pipe tobacco smoke beyond that.

And, why own a thing you can't use. Just owning a house that you limit your life around because one day you may sell it is worse than being a renter, IMO.