PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
It ain't new and it ain't true!

Well, a number of folks think of pipe smoking as a hobby, but it's a hobby only if you believe it so for you. For me, it's not a hobby.

How about this: we come to the conclusion that it is a hobby for some people but may not be so for everyone.

For me it's absolutely my hobby.

Or could it be that I'm a mythological being myself? Could this be the truth? My reality is shattered...

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I'm a hobbiest for sure right now. For me and with most avocations, it starts as a hobby and evolves into something I know how to do. The same was with my other hobbies and I have a dedicated closet of tools to prove it...LOL!!

Reactions: ofafeather

cramptholomew

Lurker
Jun 6, 2018
Maryland
www.instagram.com
Pipe makers, for whatever reason, are completely persuaded, almost to a man, about the necessity for coating chambers, which to me is unfounded and unreasonable.

Italian makers leave their chambers alone. I've yet to hear that Castello warns their customers to build cake slowly or suffer the consequences. A maker told me that bowls so flawed that seemed destined for burnout didn't, while bowls without blemishes do. Any large gathering of data on the subject shows that burnout is rare, perhaps 1/3000.

Despite that any number of us make our feelings known about buying pipes with uncoated chambers, and despite that it is our patronage that affords their living, they insist on making the decision for us.
I don't coat chambers.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Cosmic, I feel for you, but if all the people I know, you are the one to bear up under the weight of accursed handsomeness and to be oppressed by the humility of humidity.

Go forth, live large and conquer!

I quit smoking and drinking, and thus am left rudderless by an accounting of vices.

But then again, what about hunting church mice, in a church of course, with a hammer?

Destroying children with a flamethrower.

After helping little old ladies across the street, abducting them and making them star in snuff films.

So I guess I do have a few vices left.

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
Myth: One can define what a "real" tobacco is based on the type of blend it is.

Myth: One can define what a "real" pipe is based on it's brand or retail price and/or what material it is made from.

Myth: One can define what a "real" pipesmoker is based on their years of pipesmoking experience, how often they smoke their pipes, the number of pipes they own, quantity of tobacco cellared, quantity of tobacco they have ever smoked, and/or what blends they prefer.
I asked my carpentry mentor one day what qualifies a man as a carpenter. He said "doing carpentry". Since that man knows more about carpentry than anyone alive, I'm sure we can use his wisdom to explain what makes a man a pipe smoker.

Smoking a pipe and having a penis. What makes a lady a pipe smoker? Probably quite similar standards!