PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That's a nice way of putting it, thanks, will adopt!

In terms of myths, I haven't seen it mentioned yet so here's mine: bringing a reamer in the same room with a pipe will cause a black hole to spawn at the location of the pipe and destroy the solar system. That is, unless the person bringing it has 20 years' experience in pipe restoration and has written at least 3 books about it. I regularly ream all cake out, and flush with water. The first smoke on nearly bare wood is always caviar.
Nice one. And the reamer is likely to lose you a finger or two!

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
Honestly and respectfully, as a wine ... it’s not so good. However, at that time I was more interested in its P. R. abilities than its plummy, fruity bouquet.
If we are talking about wine...Night Train is the only real option. It's notes of rancid Koolaid fortified with rubbing alcohol are best enjoyed at room temp with no glass so you don't miss out on any subtleties...there are none.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I don't even understand this. Just repaint, and shampoo the carpets... I'd challenge anyone to smell pipe tobacco smoke beyond that.
I've been told that won't do it. But I simply don't know.
And, why own a thing you can't use. Just owning a house that you limit your life around because one day you may sell it is worse than being a renter, IMO.
It surely depends on how long you'll be there, layout, and the market. In the hot market we have now, not a problem. But I want my heirs to have a very marketable property when I go.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I don't even understand this. Just repaint, and shampoo the carpets... I'd challenge anyone to smell pipe tobacco smoke beyond that.

And, why own a thing you can't use. Just owning a house that you limit your life around because one day you may sell it is worse than being a renter, IMO.
For me, I don’t want the interior of my house smelling of pipe tobacco. Same with the 99 Tahoe and beloved Suby.

I used to have a soap stone wood stove and I used cured red oak. If there was smoke when lightning or adding wood, there is also dust and that’s going to settle everywhere.

For me, we make a choose of how to use our stuff and it’s not about not having access because doing everything you want and thinking that will necessarily result in something positive overall is self delusion.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I understood all but this part. Can you elaborate.
Well, sure fellow Alabamian!! You made a comment about being overly concerned about using your pipe indoors saying you could just repaint and clean the carpet. While that’s partially true, there is also a place of just making the decision not to smoke inside. Sort of keeping two good things separate while fully enjoy both.

I just know that right now is totally a seller's market. You could crap in the floor of each room and still sell at way above your asking. The neighbor behind me started remodeling, then the tornado hit, and tore away half of his house. Just on a whim, he put it on the market for 50% above what he paid five years ago, and got 100% more than he thought, and with walls missing and such.

I know this sort of market won't last forever, but for the last five or so years it seems silly that someone would scoff at a little smoke smell, when houses have been being sold at way over market sight unseen.

My thoughts on that turned out to be "All a renter has to show for it at the ending, is a wastepaper basket full of old calendar pages."
I don't know about everywhere, but renters here pay twice what a regular mortgage payment would be. When I talk to my kids about buying, they seem to have this idea that they wouldn't be able to afford it. But I keep trying to tell them that the mortgage on that house they rent would most likely be about $700, whereas their rent is $1250 a month.
If I want to knock a hole in a wall, I own the damned wall. If I want to let goats sleep in the living room, by gosh a goat will sleep in the living room, ha ha. Anything done can be undone. I don't know about everyone else's town, but houses keep going up like crazy.

As for cars and trucks, I have NEVER EVER EVER had someone tell me that I couldn't trade in my vehicle because of a smell of smoke. Ever! I think there's a little irrational fear going on in here.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I don't know about everywhere, but renters here pay twice what a regular mortgage payment would be. When I talk to my kids about buying, they seem to have this idea that they wouldn't be able to afford it. But I keep trying to tell them that the mortgage on that house they rent would most likely be about $700, whereas their rent is $1250 a month.
If I want to knock a hole in a wall, I own the damned wall. If I want to let goats sleep in the living room, by gosh a goat will sleep in the living room, ha ha. Anything done can be undone. I don't know about everyone else's town, but houses keep going up like crazy.

As for cars and trucks, I have NEVER EVER EVER had someone tell me that I couldn't trade in my vehicle because of a smell of smoke. Ever! I think there's a little irrational fear going on in here.

Reactions: ofafeather
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA

One of the concerns right now is that buyers are in danger of owing more than the house will appraise. Having cash is a plus in any offer and contract. Why wait to see if the buyer can qualify?

Reactions: ofafeather
I find this article to be complete bullshit. Have you actually had someone say that they wouldn't take your car as a trade in because of smoke? I trade cars and trucks every year, because of kids, wife and my business. Never, has anyone mentioned smoke. NEVER. That is from 6 car and one truck in the last two years.
Maybe if you are selling outright and you run across an asshole.

One of the concerns right now is that buyers are in danger of owing more than the house will appraise. Having cash is a plus in any offer and contract. Why wait to see if the buyer can qualify?
It has not been what I am seeing. We refinanced the second year of owning, and came in to the good already. And, as I've said, people are throwing money fast site unseen. We have people knock on our door occasionally asking if we are interested in selling.
We bought at $125 6 years ago, and right now, we appraise at $225. And, farmland. I am so itching to sell off the farm, because I might not ever have to work again in my life. People are crazy right now.
I know it won't last forever, but damn... no one is having an issue selling here.

Maybe people are just flocking to my little city here to get out of yall's hellholes of anti-smokers, ha ha.

Hertz Rental Cars have had a no smoking rule since 2013 and will assess you $400 cleaning fee if you ignore.

I would except to pay less for a smoked in car.
We rent cars to take on trips through the Blue Ridge every year, and I smoke like a freight train in it the whole way, and NEVER has anyone said anything. I've made a bunch of posts about this.

It is common for buyers here to pay thousands over the asking price to just get the house. So, I suspect appraisal value is not being considered.
What I hear from realtors is that no one knows how to appraise in this climate because they sell too fast. Value is exactly what someone will pay for it, nothing else at all. Yes, values can change, but that is true of anything.

Reactions: jpmcwjr