PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
One of the concerns right now is that buyers are in danger of owing more than the house will appraise. Having cash is a plus in any offer and contract. Why wait to see if the buyer can qualify?
Buyers always wind up paying more than the house will appraise for. Say you buy a $175,000 home with $25K down. You are still financing 150K and even with say 3% interest you are going to wind up paying at least twice that amount in interest. If I remember correctly, it was about 15 years before the interest payments were about the same as the principal payment.

Reactions: ofafeather
Mortgage companies know. Don't kid yourself.
Have you ever bought a house or land? Sometimes I feel like I have conversations with people who have never done the things we talk about. My oldest daughter works in mortgages and my mother is a realtor.
I have to do business across several states with my properties.
I really don't have time to teach someone.

Buyers always wind up paying more than the house will appraise for. Say you buy a $175,000 home with $25K down. You are still financing 150K and even with say 3% interest you are going to wind up paying at least twice that amount in interest. If I remember correctly, it was about 15 years before the interest payments were about the same as the principal payment.
If someone is still paying 3% interest, they haven't been paying attention. Get out of that damned loan, fast.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Have you ever bought a house or land? Sometimes I feel like I have conversations with people who have never done the things we talk about. My oldest daughter works in mortgages and my mother is a realtor.
I have to do business across several states with my properties.
I really don't have time to teach someone.
Peace brother. Sorry to have offended. Yes, land and several houses built.

Peace brother. Sorry to have offended. Yes, land and several houses built.
No offence taken. The original conversation was about smoking killing a house or car. Then it went sideways. But, I still think that this is all a product of fear, fear instilled in folks by the anti-smokers. There's just not much reality to it. Now, folks in California... I'm pretty sure if you are suspected of smoking in your car your house that you will most likely get your throat cut in the night, ha ha. But, who would want to live there? puffy

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
No offence taken. The original conversation was about smoking killing a house or car. Then it went sideways. But, I still think that this is all a product of fear, fear instilled in folks by the anti-smokers. There's just not much reality to it. Now, folks in California... I'm pretty sure if you are suspected of smoking in your car your house that you will most likely get your throat cut in the night, ha ha. But, who would want to live there? puffy
Eh, someone who rides a motorcycle 360 days out of 365 days a year.

Alabama motorcycle riding. Yes, you can do it and yes people do. I would say it is better than Kansas.

California Motorcycle Riding - Endless enjoyment and diversity. Mountains, Deserts, Beaches, Redwood Forest, Deep transparent lakes, and that is just taking into account the morning portion of the ride.
Then take in, that for what you spend on a mortgage in CA, you can buy a HUGE home, quit work for life, and live like a KING. Riding any time or all the time. puffy
That is if all of the Californians would stop buying up all of the houses in my neighborhood.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
And, why own a thing you can't use. Just owning a house that you limit your life around because one day you may sell it is worse than being a renter
You betcha. As a matter of fact, most renters don't give a flying fsck about their living quarters. The number of suites that've been wrecked in my building attest to that.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
You betcha. As a matter of fact, most renters don't give a flying fsck about their living quarters. The number of suites that've been wrecked in my building attest to that.
I had a tenant spray paint (yes spray paint) the master bathtub black in one of my properties. It was an extra-wide custom order tub and was separate from the master shower. The purchase price of the tub was more than their deposit.

I will no longer purchase a rental property that has carpet.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I've found that pipe smoking is only hard if you overthink it or try and follow all the cargo cult conventional wisdom that's smeared across the Internet like the moist and pungent aftermath of a bad night at Taco Bell.

Fill it and smoke it, like ChasingEmbers said, works perfectly for me.

depriest1022

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 6, 2021
Arkansas
www.researchgate.net
I've found that pipe smoking is only hard if you overthink it or try and follow all the cargo cult conventional wisdom that's smeared across the Internet like the moist and pungent aftermath of a bad night at Taco Bell.

Fill it and smoke it, like ChasingEmbers said, works perfectly for me.
The cargo cult reference is fantastic.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Smoking won't kill a house sale- it will sell eventually, but I had a buyer who walked and that was a reason given. Overall, in a buyers market, you may be hurt $$. But we don't have such now, and where you live makes a big difference as to the general druthers of the affluent buyer.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
If someone is still paying 3% interest, they haven't been paying attention. Get out of that damned loan, fast.
@cosmicfolklore i have to know—why are you suggesting to get out of a three percent loan? That’s an excellent rate, and with mortgage interest deduction, it’s even cheaper.

I invest in rental properties and I’ll take all the money at 3 percent that I can get!

@cosmicfolklore i have to know—why are you suggesting to get out of a three percent loan? That’s an excellent rate, and with mortgage interest deduction, it’s even cheaper.

I invest in rental properties and I’ll take all the money at 3 percent that I can get!
We refinanced down to 1%. Most everyone I know has. 3% was great when we bought, but how can you pass up those rates?