PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
When I was reading forums when I first started smoking a pipe (10 years ago), it was a prevalent idea that "real" smokers only achieved that status when they had "progressed" to English blends. A corollary, of course, was that aromatics were somehow less than. Total horse shit.
Englishes are very user friendly and aromatics take finer techniques. The fact that latakia is a flavored tobacco makes it amusing.

Mar 1, 2014
Skip, who owns the Briary doesn't smoke. The other pipe shops in my area also are owned by non-smokers or rare occasion cigar smokers. There are two cigar shops owned by non-smokers in my area also.
While they know how to sell a pipe or a stogie, they usually are just saying shit they've heard over the years. These pipe things are usually more of a magical anomaly to them than they are to us, so yep, they say stupid shit.

And cigar guys... why can they not shut the hell up? I really don't know nor care about what famous cigar rolling expert made those stupid stogies. I don't even know the different names of the brands. I just want the strongest damn sticks in the store, pay my money and get out of there, before they start showing off their dicks and pissing against the walls. I think it is standard procedure to hire the most obnoxious, ugly sons of bitches with face tattoos and beards to their belts to set in these cigar shops saying shit to expose shoppers for not knowing as much as they know about cigars. YOU WIN, I don't, and I don't care. Just let me pay for these and get the hell away from the Hells Angels serial killer you've hired to run your register. A face tattoo just expresses to the world how much you hate humanity. I think you have to be a complete moron to open a cigar shop and the choices of employees proves it.
These days, I just order cigars from smokingpipes, so that I don't have to deal with the complete assholes that work and hang out in these shops. I'd rather be stabbed in the eye than hang out in a cigar shop.
Cigar shops are really a performance art show, people today only go there to seek out the bizarre, so it makes sense they would operate like a Circus.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
When I was reading forums when I first started smoking a pipe (10 years ago), it was a prevalent idea that "real" smokers only achieved that status when they had "progressed" to English blends. A corollary, of course, was that aromatics were somehow less than. Total horse shit.
A couple of years back, I posted on another forum that I was smoking an aro. This young punk said when I get more mature and understand tobaccos, I'm realize I should be smoking English blends. I sent him a link to my review page at TR. I also wrote "The next time you make a judgement, it would serve you well to know what you're talking about first." That shut him up.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
A couple of years back, I posted on another forum that I was smoking an aro. This young punk said when I get more mature and understand tobaccos, I'm realize I should be smoking English blends. I sent him a link to my review page at TR. I also wrote "The next time you make a judgement, it would serve you well to know what you're talking about first." That shut him up.

Outstanding!

Mar 1, 2014
Pretty sure English blends are actually formulated to taste like Horse Shit.
That is not a joke in any way, the aroma of rotting hay is one of the most appealing things about Latakia blends, every dog knows Horse Manure is one of the greatest delicacies ever, clearly it must be incredibly flavorful. We just needed to find a form that appears sanitary.

Blackmouth210

Lurker
Apr 17, 2021
Myth: One can define what a "real" tobacco is based on the type of blend it is.

Myth: One can define what a "real" pipe is based on it's brand or retail price and/or what material it is made from.

Myth: One can define what a "real" pipesmoker is based on their years of pipesmoking experience, how often they smoke their pipes, the number of pipes they own, quantity of tobacco cellared, quantity of tobacco they have ever smoked, and/or what blends they prefer.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I was told by a respected carver, that he prefers carbonized chambers on new pipes, but if someone isn’t a heavy smoker getting the pipe hot on a new pipe, this is ok.

He just warns that it is possible to get cracks in the chamber, getting it to hot when it is still new, and to smoke slowly until building a 1mm cake, that he recommends building a 1mm cake. If I remember the email correctly, he mentions the 1mm cake for protecting the chamber.

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
The edit time ran out on my last reply, and I forgot this...

I’m not saying that what he mentioned might be considered a Myth, but since people were on the subject, I wondered what the thoughts are about a 1mm cake for keeping the chamber protected, if that could be a Myth? Hmm ?

Reactions: ofafeather