PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

bronxbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 23, 2010
New York
pstlpkr: everyone seems to love that poker! Got it for a good price on ebay.
cortezattic: Yes that a 320. Fell in love with it the minute I saw it on the counter at "Cup O' Joes" just outside of Lake George NY. Nice size bowl and feels great in the hand.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
cortezattic,
I don't own many bents because for some reason very few of them appeal to me! Bent is growing on my though, the next pipe I am going to buy is bent...

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
PIPE.jpg

This is my Savinelli bare next to some of my tobacco. Kinda new to pipe smoking and would like to add to my collection as time moves on.

frostyforge

Lurker
Mar 30, 2010
Must...resist...PAD...not...working...have no...money...must..get...new pipe, blast, now I've got a serious case of pipe envy ya'll. Those are some amazing pipes ;)

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I just got a Stanwell "Royal Danish" estate pipe at a junk store for $4.50....
I don't have a camera to take pictures with right now but I will post them tomorrow, but it does look just like the pipe at This Site.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I just received my second pipe in the mail today. My first is a bent bob's pipe which I was just informed was made by Savinelli as well. My second pipe is a Savinelli Venezia 626. I have yet to smoke it though. I am new to pipe smoking and had a question. I don't know if you can see in the picture or not but there is a streak of some sort I wouldnt say a crack because it does not go all the way through the pipe but it is definitely a dent. I was wondering if this is normal or If I should return the pipe to the seller?
IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

(I hope the pictures post I am new at this)

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
That's a good looking pipe.

I think (to my mind) that is just a blemish in the briar, uncovered by the drilling of the bowl.

My understanding is that sand can get "ingrown" inside the wood, and causes defects.

A lot of otherwise beautiful pipes are discarded because a defect is discovered while being shaped. However, this one is inside the bowl. It does not affect the overall appearance of the pipe.

But, I have a word of caution. A defect like that could lead to burn out.

If you want to keep it, I think you should be careful when building a cake. If you build it with care and attention you should be all right. Just go slow until it is completely caked over. Otherwise you could burn it out. Don't use jet type lighters, you might limit ignition to matches, so that the temps don't get too high; at least initially.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Others may have differing opinions.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Upon inspecting the pipe further it seems that it might have gone all the way through or something as there is what appears to be filler on the bottom. I suppose I will try to contact the company I bought it from and see if they will allow me to exchange it. I believe they are sold out of this kind though. I don't know if this is common in the Venezia series and I'm beginning to wonder if that is why they are only $48 each.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Wallbright - Sometimes these things happen when pipes are being quickly mass-produced at low / affordable prices.
It doesn't mean you have to accept it though.
When you get a McDonald's Value Meal, you can't expect Filet Mignon, but you do expect it to be cooked and taste good.
It's the same thing here.
I would return it for a credit towards another one or something else if that is out of stock.
That's a real good catch for a guy new to pipe smoking. When I was a newbie, I probably would have loaded it up and just smoked away until I burnt out the pipe.
Congratulations on your good eye for detail.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I just sent them an email and hopefully they will let me return it.
In the mean time should I choose a pipe from the same series or opt to pay a little more and get a nicer pipe? If so which series is a good upgrade to that wont break the bank?
I would only be looking to go up to maybe around $60 which to me seems would be the same quality; however, I trust you seasoned pipe smokers to advise me.

Especially after seeing some of those collections sheesh haha.
And thank you guys for helping me.

Also, thank you Kevin for the compliment.

It is more a curse than a blessing but I always inspect everything I buy whether it be a pipe or tupperware I am a stickler for quality goods.

I also realize like you said that this pipe is more of an economy pipe and did not know if this was a normal aspect of said pipes and that is why I decided to ask you guys for assistance.

I really do appreciate it and I hope I can return the favor to some pipe newbies some day in the future haha.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Pipes are funny when it comes to placing a value on them. From my experience, $ equates to quality. You can definitely get a good pipe for around $60. I would upgrade if you see something that meets with you aesthetic sensibility (the drool factor). That for me is the first hurdle a pipe must pass, because if you don't like the way it looks you won't smoke it. Second is briar quality, and internal design.

However; I can say that all of my churchwardens were $20ish basket pipes, I added long stems, and have been smoking them for more than 20 years.
So.... if it looks good.... smoke it.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Haha well being new to the pipe smoking scene the only pipes that really make me drool are the Savinelli Autograph series. I don't know much about pipes and what makes one pipe better than the next other than the price but each one seems just as beautiful in its own way.
However, I suspect this will ware off as time goes by and I will begin to be fixated on one style of pipe. But for the time being I am just looking for a pipe that offers a good quality smoke that will not burn out and does not have the putty in it to fix blemishes or what have you.
Essentially, I am just in the market for a pipe that will last a while and offer me some relaxation from the stresses of life.
They just emailed me back and said:
Greetings William,
Thank you for taking the time to photograph the Venezia 626. If you would

like to return this pipe, we will certainly exchange it for you but it won't

be with the 626 shape. These pipes come in batches of 12 predetermined

shapes and we are not able to pick and choose. Currently, we have sold out

of the 626.
If you are set on this shape, feel free to keep the pipe and if you

experience a burn out, then we can have Savinelli replace the pipe. We feel

confident that once you build the carbon cake inside the chamber, all should

be fine.
Let us know how you would like to proceed.
Best regards,
Renee Meyer
I am conflicted if I should return the pipe or not. A link to the ones available in this series for exchange is here
However, it seems that the majority of the ones that are left are KS. I would like to hear your input on what you would do if you were in my situation. Also, if you would choose to exchange the pipe which pipe you would choose. Thank you guys for your help and if I need to I can move this to a new thread so I do not bunk up this one.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
I'd recommend exchanging it. The 677 KS in the second row should be a good alternative. It's a little bigger and has a little more bend, but overall, it's very similar to your 626. My rotation is heavy on Savinellis, I've owned dozens of them over the years and only had one problem. I bought a nice little Roma that developed a shank crack. They replaced it without question.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
For years the Bent Bob pipes were my everyday carry stick un my pocket and break the stem pipes. I think they are great

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I don't know about you guys but my bent bob seems to burn real hot and there is a large "crater" in the bottom of the bowl where the hole doesn't meet the absolute bottom. Maybe I just have a bad one I can upload pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.