SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 1, 2014
Yea... all sound observations etc. I don't really see a point most the time these days to argue about most anything with anyone. What's the point? When's the last time you've been in an argument and either party had some big revelation through the argument and changed their opinion. The only arguments worth arguing about are between two people who aren't really taking the argument seriously. Like over which is the best fruit to let rot and throw at people who needlessly incorrectly correct you.

Actually, this argument was over a word- which, for some reason is harder for me to let slide. We were talking about some celebrated film which the person said they really didn't think was so great and I said gently ribbing the person "I like how iconoclastic you are". And they were all "I am not iconoclastic I don't destroy venerated religious objects..." yada yada, while I was half joking using the more contemporary usage of which as I understand it has to with attacking generally accepted beliefs, etc., and for that matter knew my usage was rather loose on the bone. Anyway, no way in hell I will admit on here that this argument was with my "spouse".

Once many years ago I had an argument with this Spanish friend in front of a coffee shop about what the largest lake in South America was. I said that it was Lake Maracaibo and she corrected me saying it was Titicaca and was very forcefully about it. This was before smart phones so I told her I had to do an errand and I would be back in 15mins. So I ran down to the library which was a few blocks away found a book on South America and made a photocopy supporting my claim. In hindsight that seems like a real dick move and not something I would do these days. Confusingly, when I now Googled "largest lake in South America" it spits out Titicaca yet if I look-up "is Maracaibo the largest lake in South America" results say it is.
That's a fun rabbit hole.

Titicaca is about 3X more volume but Maracaibo has about 1.5x more surface area.

Recently it seems Maracaibo has been declassified as a lake due to a lack of separation from the ocean.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
No I don't, with the exception of Ex Wife #2, which is why she's Ex Wife #2. And since our divorce nearly 20 years ago she's apologized to me profusely for "being such a cunt".

I don't have anyone who constantly corrects me, in part because there's nothing to consistently correct. I'm both self and other aware. Moreover, I don't need, much less want, anyone who constantly corrects me.

Some people do want or need that, apparently, like wearing an invisible "correct me" sign on their back, attracting a flock of harpies.

If you're surrounded by a posse of behavioral and thought monitors, it's because you invite them in some way.
your use of the "C" word here betrays that, especially since there are female participants on the forum.

Jan 27, 2020
That's a fun rabbit hole.

Titicaca is about 3X more volume but Maracaibo has about 1.5x more surface area.

Recently it seems Maracaibo has been declassified as a lake due to a lack of separation from the ocean.

Thanks for the clarification, I was a bit flummoxed and while I was looking at a map earlier and saw the little link link to the ocean I did wonder that... Is that some new development? I did read quickly earlier that is apparently one of the oldest lakes on earth. Anyways, political climate aside, doesn't seem like it would be a scenic place to visit due to all the oil rigs etc. Would be nice to make it to Titicaca one day though.

Reactions: JOHN72

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
No I don't, with the exception of Ex Wife #2, which is why she's Ex Wife #2. And since our divorce nearly 20 years ago she's apologized to me profusely for "being such a c***".

I don't have anyone who constantly corrects me, in part because there's nothing to consistently correct. I'm both self and other aware. Moreover, I don't need, much less want, anyone who constantly corrects me.

Some people do want or need that, apparently, like wearing an invisible "correct me" sign on their back, attracting a flock of harpies.

If you're surrounded by a posse of behavioral and thought monitors, it's because you invite them in some way.
Language my friend.....

Jan 27, 2020
I can’t offer much, the risk of being corrected over language seems high, either correctly or incorrectly.

I'm pretty sure this thread has degraded my already declining grammar. Now I feel like I don't know nothing or that what I did know ain't correct but it also just might be inverted psychological.

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72