PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I still think my favorite was the guy who told people their so stupid for use they're instead of their when they mean they are. Their means they are at least according to this particular dofus. He's was what I call stupid with a caveat. The caveat being that despite the unbelievability their stupidity is being report with no embellishment.

As an undergrad, we used to have a campus DJ who would start his morning program with "The sun is shining on you and I, today." And, this drove my English 101 professor nutso. He went over to correct this guy, and the next day, he changed it to, "You and me are in the sunshine, today." Grammar Nazis are fun to watch stroke out, ha ha.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I was amused earlier today reading a thread on a watch forum. An English guy picked up on something an American had written and gently poked fun at the remark, appending "no offence meant".

To which the original poster did take offence and wrote "and at least us old people know how to spell offense". We old people......

Thing is; they both had the correct spelling based on where they are from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 27, 2020
As an undergrad, we used to have a campus DJ who would start his morning program with "The sun is shining on you and I, today." And, this drove my English 101 professor nutso. He went over to correct this guy, and the next day, he changed it to, "You and me are in the sunshine, today." Grammar Nazis are fun to watch stroke out, ha ha.

Not that you need it but I read a tip on this particular thing. If confused if you remove the "you" and try "me" or "I" the correct answer will be obvious. Re: "the sun is shining on I" vs "the sun is shining on me" and as you can easily deduct the first one is obviously the correct usage.

More irony?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I do. Me. It still gets on my nerves when pipe smokers call themselves pipers. So on bad days, I jump on them. No one tried to correct me so far. In a big picture, it doesn't matter, so I'm being small by being bitch on bad days.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I do. Me. It still gets on my nerves when pipe smokers call themselves pipers. So on bad days, I jump on them. No one tried to correct me so far. In a big picture, it doesn't matter, so I'm being small by being bitch on bad days.
My default assumption outside the forum if I heard someone call themselves "a piper" would be to assume they play the bagpipes. That's the only group of people I've known of referred to as "pipers".

Just looked up "piper" on TheFreeDictionary (Farlex) and all that comes up is "bagpiper" and "one who plays pipes".

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
My default assumption outside the forum if I heard someone call themselves "a piper" would be to assume they play the bagpipes. That's the only group of people I've known of referred to as "pipers".

Just looked up "piper" on TheFreeDictionary (Farlex) and all that comes up is "bagpiper" and "one who plays pipes".
That would be my assumption too.

Reactions: jpmcwjr