PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I agree with all the above mentioned that MM Cobs are great smokers and well worth owning. When I first got one I didn’t know it came with a filter and I actually thought the cardboard was part of the pipe ? lol. So either grab a few replacement filters or just toss it so it doesn’t get nasty and ruin flavors for you.
You can also buy a 4 pack of filter adapters on SP for 1.99. I put adapters in all my cobs.

Reactions: Charlie718

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
So the filter is stuck, how do I get it out? I made the mistake of using the pipe cleaner before taking the filter out.

This just happened to me the first time a week ago. It was the filter that came with a new briar churchwarden I bought. I used the metal reamer on my pipe tamper (or toothpick). I was able to keep inserting it around the sides of the filter and then pulled it out. Also make sure your pipe excepts filters and the correct filter size. Worst case smoke without a filter.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Scotte offers a beginner pipe kit on Amazon for about $35. It includes a pear wood pipe, portable pleather pipe case that holds 2 pipes, small tobacco pouch, nice pipe tool with a wooden handle, reamer, pipe cleaners, and various filters and balls.

The accessories, minus the filters since I prefer an open draw, are worth the price of admission alone with a decent pipe for starting or travel (in other words, it's a stepping stone pipe that you won't mind if it gets banged around).

A quick search on Amazon shows they still sell the kit but my first blush search couldn't find one with the tobacco pouch, which helped make the purchase worthwhile. It's still a good deal for an entry fee into the pipe arena, and pouches (or coin purses) are cheap separately.

It was a nice bargain that gets beginners up and running while allowing them to purchase about 1 pound of various bulk tobacco to get acquainted with the arena and rituals for about $100 startup costs. Hard to pass up a pipe, travel bag, pouch, cleaners, tool, and reamer for that price when the accessories would separately cost about the same without a pipe included.

gemtx

Might Stick Around
Dec 20, 2020
Dallas, TX
I am kinda in the same boat as I will be receiving my first Missouri Meerschaum for Christmas! I am getting the General and am very excited about it. As it turns out, I will also be getting a pear-wood pipe as well. I have lots of briars, but one of my favorite pipes is a giant pear-wood by Mr. Brog. It is a Lumberjack. So my new Christmas pear-wood is a Brog as well. It is smaller and more likely easy to clench. The Lumberjack is a monster. I can't wait to try the cob! Best to all!

Reactions: Kal and jpmcwjr

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Hi folks! I'm new to this world. My question is very simple: should I go for a corn cob or a pear-wood as a beginner?

What are their advantages and disadvantages?

I really like the Canadian style, if there's a briar with a similar price to these I would buy it but I haven't found yet.

Pear that I'm considering:
No. 305 Vancouver Pear Wood Tobacco Pipe - https://mrbrog.com/products/mr-brog-canadian-tobacco-pipe-model-no-305-vancouver-pear-wood-roots-hand-made

Corn cob:
Country Gentleman Corn Cob Pipe - CornCobPipe.com - https://corncobpipe.com/product/country-gentleman-corn-cob-pipe/#reviews
Until an hour ago I’d have recommended a cob, but I’m a new convert to pear wood.

95609560-BBD2-4333-BC3B-7A41BCC2721E.jpegThis pear wood pipe I got for Christmas tastes like a sweet pear for break in. It is cool to hold, doesn’t get hot. It takes 9mm filters that really work to smooth and mellow the smoke.

It’s also very pretty, I think.

And filters are about a penny each. I bought a hundred charcoal filters for $10.99.

Yes I love my meerschaum, briar, and cob pipes, too.

But if a man had no pipe at all, and wanted one, then a filter pear is the best first pipe I know of.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Another reason for the absolutely new beginner who has no pipe, and wants to try out pipe smoking, to go with a pear wood pipe is my new pear wood Christmas pipe is exactly the same pipe made of pear wood as this SON Sailor shape #09 allegedly “MADE IN DENMARK”.

C250A945-EF35-4716-ABAF-BA041FD21BDD.jpegSomebody has invented a clever little machine that mills out pipes, and polishes them, exactly each the same and perfectly.

And that machine does not know where on earth it’s operating.

Either that, or a Serbian pipe merchant somehow can peddle $35 SON pipes that look new and are really 55 years old, without any noticeable flaws, except one tiny fill.:)

gemtx

Might Stick Around
Dec 20, 2020
Dallas, TX
Hmmm... Got my MM cob General, and so far not so good. Do these typically need a break-in? It tastes like I'm burning off something harsh from the bowl. Same deal whether with or without the filter. Please advise if I need to know something. Thanks, and best to all. My first cob.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Hmmm... Got my MM cob General, and so far not so good. Do these typically need a break-in? It tastes like I'm burning off something harsh from the bowl. Same deal whether with or without the filter. Please advise if I need to know something. Thanks, and best to all. My first cob.
In my experience cobs need less break in than most briars, but they do need some break in.

I use a mild aromatic such as Prince Albert to break in a cob, and it’s important to smoke it all the way down until you taste the burning shank that juts out into the bottom of the bowl. Get that shank carbonized.

While others can put cake on a cob all I do is char them. They’ll last a very long time but not forever.

The General is my favorite MM pipe shape.

Keep smoking it, they get better each time you do for many years.

Gavrin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2021
Idaho
I would recommend a decent cob if you are okay with how they look.

To me, cob pipes are like sweat pants. I wear them when no one's around to see me wearing them.
That’s hilarious. I enjoy cob pipes but then, I look and dress like I smoke cob pipes per your analogy! Gotta dig ‘em!

Reactions: Michigan_Bill