PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

averroes

Lurker
Jul 11, 2021
Turkey
Hi folks! I'm new to this world. My question is very simple: should I go for a corn cob or a pear-wood as a beginner?

What are their advantages and disadvantages?

I really like the Canadian style, if there's a briar with a similar price to these I would buy it but I haven't found yet.

Pear that I'm considering:
No. 305 Vancouver Pear Wood Tobacco Pipe - https://mrbrog.com/products/mr-brog-canadian-tobacco-pipe-model-no-305-vancouver-pear-wood-roots-hand-made

Corn cob:
Country Gentleman Corn Cob Pipe - CornCobPipe.com - https://corncobpipe.com/product/country-gentleman-corn-cob-pipe/#reviews

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Rossi would be good for a first affordable briar. Something like this perhaps:

Kal

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Misplaced Texan, in Ohio
I bought The Country Gentleman myself, it smokes fantastic.
you don't need to spend $100's to enjoy good tobacco.
I'm new to pipe smoking myself I bought 3 $100 range briar pipes I use now and then. A $12 pear wood pipe I smoke a lot, and 6 CC. I smoke a lot.
any more pipes will be $40 briar's, I don't need anything fancy.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Missouri Meershaum corn cob pipes are a fantastic way to begin your journey into piping. They are readily available and fairly inexpensive. You can pick up several for the price of one pearwoof pipe and a dozen of them for the cost of a decent briar.

What's even better is that cobs aren't just a novelty, they're actually great pipes!

Good luck & happy smokes. Let us know how it goes.

Respectfully,
Chris

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Most definitely a cob. However, spend a few dollars more and buy a cob with an acrylic stem, such as a country gentleman or a MM Dagger poker. This will set you back about $25 but they are real pipes which, cared for, will last many years. Have never smoked a pear wood pipe but it seems to me ill conceived and sort of a cheap gimmick.

averroes

Lurker
Jul 11, 2021
Turkey
Most definitely a cob. However, spend a few dollars more and buy a cob with an acrylic stem, such as a country gentleman or a MM Dagger poker. This will set you back about $25 but they are real pipes which, cared for, will last many years. Have never smoked a pear wood pipe but it seems to me ill conceived and sort of a cheap gimmick.
this one has that acrylic system? Country Gentleman Corn Cob Pipe - CornCobPipe.com - https://corncobpipe.com/product/country-gentleman-corn-cob-pipe/#reviews

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
I agree with all the above mentioned that MM Cobs are great smokers and well worth owning. When I first got one I didn’t know it came with a filter and I actually thought the cardboard was part of the pipe ? lol. So either grab a few replacement filters or just toss it so it doesn’t get nasty and ruin flavors for you.

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
An additional 'bonus' of smoking a cob is the Country Bumpkin effect, that I personally strive to achieve...
Big floppy straw hat that my dog modified for me, while mowing the meadow...cob in mouth... Ahh, yes, nirvana ?