PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In MM cobs, I recommend the special editions sold at the MM website that come with acrylic stems that last much longer than the soft plastic that then need to be replaced. The Carolina Gentleman, among others, has the acrylic stem.

Rossi pipes recommended in an earlier posts are also a great buy, as are Kaywoodie and Dr. Grabow pipes offered at the Virginia Smoke Shop site, among other places. Among Dr. Grabow, I like the Royalton series, which also have good acrylic stems.

MM cobs are a favorite here. Some think of them as nearly disposable because they are low priced, but once you own one, you may feel as devoted to it as to other more expensive pipes you might eventually buy.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'll put it this way I have never seen a single person sing the praise of pearwood. I've also not heard anyone complain about it or call it subpar. Pearwood is for that person that has briars and cobs and wants something a bit different without going into high end territory. Cobs are great I prefer briar but cobs are a serious pipe that works as well as briar. They're cheaper because of the material they're made from not because they're clearly inferior. You can plant corn many more places then briar, corn grows several cobs very quickly on a single plant. To collect it you walk into a field. I say go for the cob.

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
Didn't read all posts so sorry if a repeat. There are cheap enough briers (50ish $ or little less)and they taste the best to me. Corn can sometimes get bitter or taste corn. I never did pear wood. I have several briers n corn. Best corn with little pipe corn taste: Missouri Meerschaum Freehand Corncob; Missouri Meerschaum MacArthur 5 Star Bent.
their best for flavor, aroma, coolness of smoke so no tongue bite, and cheap churchwarden is the wizard in the cobbit collection. The longer the stem for me less crappy corn taste (some people do like corn taste). I recommend spending 80$. One decent brier, i would do a easy clenching bent brier less then or equal to 1.6 oz. This way u can do whatever u want hands free. Then one of the cobs I mentioned that way you can get a feel for a handholding pipe without effecting the tobacco too much.. I used to only like clenchers but now I really enjoy mixing hand vs clench. If money is the ultimate issue just do a cheap brier, it is a much better experience.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Very few members have owned pear wood pipes, and I can recall none of them writing about how they smoke and how they hold up. On the other hand almost everyone owns cobs and overall are very happy with them.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
A cob is what I started with and, for the most part, still smoke today. They are a perfect, inexpensive option to hone your technique.
Yeah, they are good pipes. I have a few in my stable20210424_160013.jpgI actually added four more since this pic. Two Legends and two County Gentlemans. I don't know why I bought them. I went into my local B&M and just couldn't help myself.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
If it were me starting from scratch, I'd go with 2 or 3 Missouri Meerschaum cobs and something that caught my eye from a basket or a Morgan Bones or Rossi or Grabow. 2 to 3 cobs and a briar. That's a very decent rotation which can serve the rest of your life if you are so inclined and keep your budget for cellar building.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Not too many people jumping on the pear wood bandwagon…

I own one. A cheap Mr. Brog. It smokes well enough.

My experience with any pipe made of fruitwood is that you have to build a reasonably thick cake in order to prevent it from charring and burning through. If the wood hasn’t sufficiently dried out enough, it will develop cracks.

I have made pipes out of applewood, and they smoke wonderfully. I soon learned that coating the bowl was necessary to keep the chamber from charring. I used a mixture of sour cream and powdered activated charcoal, since it sticks well, and stays rather thick.

I also have a couple of old Ropp cherrywood pipes that had cracks developing in the chamber when I got them. I coated the bowls as described above, and there are no further issues. They smoke great.

Of course if you’re just looking for a cheap pipe, cobs are good. For a cheap well made briar, Chris Morgan Bones pipes are a great value. I have four, and they are drilled well and smoke surprisingly good.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
My grandfather would use cob corn for feed.
There was always dried out cob material. We used cane for fishing rod and it was common to have some seasoned cane leaning against the corner of the shed or barn. From these we would make corn cob pipes. We would sand off the kernel holders which reveal a nice looking sturdy result. So, if one burned out, another was soon made.

Jun 25, 2021
England
Well folks I've got me a MM Country Gentleman. I'll see how it goes today and give a feedback here. :sher:
Excellent choice. I too have a MN country gentleman, it doesn't really matter how you pack it, it's just going to smoke really well, if you look after it, clean it after each smoke with vodka or whatever it will probably last a lifetime, no real need to buy another pipe again, although, like Uncle Rasta I have four country gentlemen, but I just smoke the same one all the time. Enjoy

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
I have the Country Gentleman and Missouri Pride, and have just ordered the Natural Morgan. I enjoy the two I have and am looking forward to "breaking in" the Morgan when it arrives.

Cobs are cheap, as everyone has already noted, and as a beginner, I've found them to be more forgiving than a briar (the only wood pipes I have) and not as delicate as a meer.

I think you'll be happy with your Country Gentleman, and will be in the market for some more cobs in the near future. ?

Welcome, and Happi Piping!