Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Thanks for the heads up. There's a layer of ash in the bowl now, all black. When I puff it now, empty pipe, I taste ash. I suppose it's okay?
When the pipe is empty and you have only ash you're done. Dump the ash out and use your pipe tool to remove any larger burnt bits. Run a pipe cleaner through the stem and its ready to go (though it may need a rest to dry out).

You mentioned you're smoking Captain Black, which is a very sweet tobacco, and may smoke a bit wet. You said you don't have much selection where you are, but you can read about your options at (Just remember everyone's tastes differ! ):
Tobacco Reviews | Browse and Review your Favorite Pipe Tobacco Products

That's also a good resource Sweet Home Alabama mentions:
How To Pack & Light Your Pipe (smokingpipes.com)

Let us know if you have other questions and Enjoy!

Last edited:

averroes

Lurker
Jul 11, 2021
Turkey
When the pipe is empty and you have only ash you're done. Dump the ash out and use your pipe tool to remove any larger burnt bits. Run a pipe cleaner through the stem and its ready to go (though it may need a rest to dry out).

You mentioned you're smoking Captain Black, which is a very sweet tobacco, and may smoke a bit wet. You said you don't have much selection where you are, but you can read about your options at (Just remember everyone's tastes differ! ):
Tobacco Reviews | Browse and Review your Favorite Pipe Tobacco Products

That's also a good resource Sweet Home Alabama mentions:
How To Pack & Light Your Pipe (smokingpipes.com)

Let us know if you have other questions and Enjoy!
I actually do. It's possible that the tobacco I bought might not be geniune. And today I smoked for the second time and still the same, I can't keep it lit, maybe I'm drawing too little. I tried putting too little tobacco this time and it seems worse, I think it's possible that I need to put even more tobacco than the first time.

And then there's the after-taste which is just like ash. I'm certain that I'm doing something wrong, yesterday I didn't have that after-taste. Can I clean the pipe with water?

Reactions: Sweet Home Alabama
Aug 1, 2012
I actually do. It's possible that the tobacco I bought might not be geniune. And today I smoked for the second time and still the same, I can't keep it lit, maybe I'm drawing too little. I tried putting too little tobacco this time and it seems worse, I think it's possible that I need to put even more tobacco than the first time.

And then there's the after-taste which is just like ash. I'm certain that I'm doing something wrong, yesterday I didn't have that after-taste. Can I clean the pipe with water?
One thing to make sure of with Cpt Black is to dry it out for a bit before smoking. Nothing wrong with the tobacco itself, just a bit moist.

Some people do clean their pipe with water though it can cause a bit of debate from the masses.

Mar 1, 2014
Hi folks! I'm new to this world. My question is very simple: should I go for a corn cob or a pear-wood as a beginner?

What are their advantages and disadvantages?

I really like the Canadian style, if there's a briar with a similar price to these I would buy it but I haven't found yet.

Pear that I'm considering:
No. 305 Vancouver Pear Wood Tobacco Pipe - https://mrbrog.com/products/mr-brog-canadian-tobacco-pipe-model-no-305-vancouver-pear-wood-roots-hand-made

Corn cob:
Country Gentleman Corn Cob Pipe - CornCobPipe.com - https://corncobpipe.com/product/country-gentleman-corn-cob-pipe/#reviews

The Country Gentleman is a fantastic pipe and I would say get one and keep smoking it no matter what other pipes you may acquire later on.

Missouri Meerschaum engineered their most basic plastic stems to have the smoothest and most open draw you'll find on the market, and yes this attribute is one of the characteristics people rave about in the top grade pipes like Castello, so if you want to see what all the fuss is about smoking a pipe drilled with a wide bore air channel then make sure to try smoking all your favorite blends in both a Cob and a regular Briar.

Arguably the ultimate pipe collection would will only contain $1,000 pipes from the most technically discerning craftsmen, and Cobs.

Mar 1, 2014
Hi folks! I'm new to this world. My question is very simple: should I go for a corn cob or a pear-wood as a beginner?

What are their advantages and disadvantages?

I really like the Canadian style, if there's a briar with a similar price to these I would buy it but I haven't found yet.

Pear that I'm considering:
No. 305 Vancouver Pear Wood Tobacco Pipe - https://mrbrog.com/products/mr-brog-canadian-tobacco-pipe-model-no-305-vancouver-pear-wood-roots-hand-made

Corn cob:
Country Gentleman Corn Cob Pipe - CornCobPipe.com - https://corncobpipe.com/product/country-gentleman-corn-cob-pipe/#reviews
If you want a top quality Briar for not too much money go for a Tsuge "The Tasting" pipe:

Tsuge pays more attention to the drilling of the button on these $60 pipes than most companies, or even some artisans for that matter, would put into pipes costing five times as much.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
First thing I’d try is to blow air into the bowl and out the shank with an air compressor and blow gun. Try to make a seal around the blow gun with your hand, to try to force it out. I’m not sure it’ll work, it’ll probably just blow air out through the filter, but you might get lucky.
If not, I’d try fishing it out with a solid wire.

Reactions: averroes

averroes

Lurker
Jul 11, 2021
Turkey
First thing I’d try is to blow air into the bowl and out the shank with an air compressor and blow gun. Try to make a seal around the blow gun with your hand, to try to force it out. I’m not sure it’ll work, it’ll probably just blow air out through the filter, but you might get lucky.
If not, I’d try fishing it out with a solid wire.
I've managed to get it out with two toothpicks haha

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
My vote goes to the pear wood, never been a fan of cobs, I find they add a sugary sweetness to a smoke, and if you're learning they are easy to overheat and burn through, It happened to my first one. This is especially true if you're coming in from the Cigar world like I was.

The Mr Brog pipes, are fairly well made, I have 2, The No14 Churchwarden and the No59 Hobbit. Both pipes smoke great, just remove the stinger and away you go.

Reactions: Kal
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I find they add a sugary sweetness to a smoke, and if you're learning they are easy to overheat and burn through, It happened to my first one.
The sweet corn taste goes away after a while. I’ve never had one burn through though. Did yours have a hardwood plug in the bottom, or was it one of those that is just cob at the bottom?

Reactions: Kal