PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

averroes

Lurker
Jul 11, 2021
Turkey
These are the impressions of an absolute beginner:

I think I did something wrong. Either I put too little or too much tobacco, because after like a minute each time I had to relight the pipe again. The tobacco is Captain Black (there's too few choice here in Turkey) and although it smells nice with aroma it doesn't have flavor, it's mildly stronger than a cigarette. However, I noticed that I started to distinguish some kind of flavor after 10-15 minutes. The whole thing lasted 20-25 minutes, which indicates that I definitely did something wrong. Near the end I noticed that everytime I puffed there was a sound of air coming from the pot. I can't say if I enjoyed it or not because I don't think that this is how it's supposed to go. Lastly, I tried to puff consecutively to keep the pipe lit, but as I did this, the smoke got warmer each time and it bit my tongue.

I'm sure all these sound very rookie-ish and funny ? Tomorrow I'll try again following your advices.

Note: I have balsa filters I will try them tomorrow, tonight I had the stock filter of the cob.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I started with a Savinelli briar pipe and I tell every new guy to spend 100.00 plus and buy a really nice pipe that shows you what a good pipe should smoke like. If you never smoke a good pipe, how in the hell are you you going to know what a good one smokes like. I bought a Savinelli and still have it. It gives you a baelline on how a good pipe should smoke like. Once you have tht baseline, then you will know going forward what a good pipe smokes like. You want a pipe that has an open airway like 4.0-4.5 for a shank opening and you will then know how a good pipe smokes like. Don't buy a shit corncob or pearwood pipe and then you will never know what a good pipe is. If you don't know what a good pipe is, how will you ever know what is good and what is bad.

My first pipe was a Savinelli Linea Pui 5 which was a 155.00 retail and my buddy sold it to me with a 20 percent discount as he owned the store. My 3rd pipe was a hand made Winslow hand made C grade that retailed for 500.00 and he gave me the same 20 percent discount. I eventually sold it for close to what I paid for it. as it was a great smoker. This pic is my first pipe ever.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
craig61a, thank you for the follow-up on pear wood and its pipe characteristics. This thread was lacking that. I've never had a pear wood pipe, though I've heard about Mr. Brog. I think you summed it up well in terms of the qualities and limitations. By habit I don't build cake, just maintaining the thin carbon layer by wiping out the chamber after every use of a pipe. With briar, this has the advantage of maintaining the original diameter of the chamber, mostly, and eliminating the need for reaming, unless you are restoring pipes with cake. The other wood I am familiar with is Mountain Laurel, which was used in the U.S. (and perhaps other places) as a briar replacement during World War II when sources of briar had become war zones. The only carver I know who works in Mountain Laurel, as well as briar, maple, and in one instance cocobolo, is Jerry Perry of Colfax, N.C.,who sells only at the N.C. State Fair Village of Yesteryear and the TAPS pipe show at the fairgrounds in April most years. Mountain Laurel is as char resistant as briar but in general doesn't have the showy grain, though the wood is muted but quite attractive. I was intrigued that craig61a has also made pipes of Lilac, one of the esteemed blooming bushes of my childhood, and apple, but I take the point that if you want to enjoy these and other similar woods for pipes, the cake is important. Thank you for elucidating this aspect of pipe carving. I always learn something, or a lot, from Forums members.

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
Avverroes pack it looser, smoke slower without huge draw ins. Tobacco may be a little too wet but I assume in a pouch so I wouldn't go on a drying spree. The smaller the breathing cadence in n out the better any Tobacco will smell or taste. The beginning to the end can change dramatically in wonderful ways

Reactions: averroes

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
Does mountain laurel burn nice? Does it taste like burning wood. I had one wood, unknown, hated the burn flavor. Does the mountain laurel season well?

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Not too many people jumping on the pear wood bandwagon…

I own one. A cheap Mr. Brog. It smokes well enough.

My experience with any pipe made of fruitwood is that you have to build a reasonably thick cake in order to prevent it from charring and burning through...
I have a Brog Pearwood also. Haven't smoked it much as I could tell it would take a long time to break in.

For inexpensive briar, I suggest Stanwell.

And when there's a good sale (Thanksgiving or Xmas), I strongly suggest a Peterson System pipe.

Reactions: Latakia Dave

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have a Brog Pearwood also. Haven't smoked it much as I could tell it would take a long time to break in.

For inexpensive briar, I suggest Stanwell.

And when there's a good sale (Thanksgiving or Xmas), I strongly suggest a Peterson System pipe.
I've got 60+ Petes, probably 15 Systems, mostly deluxe, 20 odd Stanwells... I'm good.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
... Near the end I noticed that everytime I puffed there was a sound of air coming from the pot. I can't say if I enjoyed it or not because I don't think that this is how it's supposed to go. Lastly, I tried to puff consecutively to keep the pipe lit, but as I did this, the smoke got warmer each time and it bit my tongue.
averroes, I agree with Kissel bixby, be sure not to pack the tobacco too tightly. Try drawing on the pipe before lighting, it should be easy to get air through. If not, dump it out and try again. You should be able to draw air through easily with just a gentle puff. This way it will burn easily and you'll be able to draw smoke and flavor through. Remember to tamp the ash down gently every so often to keep it burning.

Aug 1, 2012
For what it's worth, I'll be the guy to sing the praises of pearwood pipes. If you've been here long enough, you remember when Mr. Brog was a sponsor and the company owner participated here.

I own a Mr Brog scoot which has been a great pipe for about 8 years for me. It smokes well, takes a beating in a backpack without complaint and has more than made it's worth back in great smokes. It didn't take long to break in either.

The other consideration is that the wood has been used for decades by Italian artisan makers along with other woods like strawberry wood that you may not have heard of.

In the end, my recommendation is to buy both. They are both cheap and depending on your preferences, may both be enough to take you through your entire pipe smoking career.

I do wish that those who immediately dismiss "new" ideas like different woods would actually give them a fair and honest try before passing judgment.

Finally, I like my cobs too so that's why I say get both...and yes, a good, well cleaned, estate briar is also a good choice.

averroes

Lurker
Jul 11, 2021
Turkey
averroes, I agree with Kissel bixby, be sure not to pack the tobacco too tightly. Try drawing on the pipe before lighting, it should be easy to get air through. If not, dump it out and try again. You should be able to draw air through easily with just a gentle puff. This way it will burn easily and you'll be able to draw smoke and flavor through. Remember to tamp the ash down gently every so often to keep it burning.
Thanks for the heads up. There's a layer of ash in the bowl now, all black. When I puff it now, empty pipe, I taste ash. I suppose it's okay?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

I think I did something wrong. Either I put too little or too much tobacco, because after like a minute each time I had to relight the pipe again. The tobacco is Captain Black (there's too few choice here in Turkey) and although it smells nice with aroma it doesn't have flavor, it's mildly stronger than a cigarette. However, I noticed that I started to distinguish some kind of flavor after 10-15 minutes. The whole thing lasted 20-25 minutes, which indicates that I definitely did something wrong. Near the end I noticed that everytime I puffed there was a sound of air coming from the pot. I can't say if I enjoyed it or not because I don't think that this is how it's supposed to go. Lastly, I tried to puff consecutively to keep the pipe lit, but as I did this, the smoke got warmer each time and it bit my tongue.

I'm sure all these sound very rookie-ish and funny ? Tomorrow I'll try again following your advices.

Note: I have balsa filters I will try them tomorrow, tonight I had the stock filter of the cob.
nothing wrong with relights. They happen. Sip the pipe don't puff. that's my basic advice. And other people here are giving the other bits of advice on how to enjoy the pipe without pain.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA

I believe if you stick with it, in about a month you'll settle in what works for you.

I use this method . Notice that you test the draw and if not good, dump and start over.

I also use this .

I now prefer to have the smoke emerge like a whisp. Just barely lit tobacco. With this I no longer get a tongue bite.

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
If you're at the bottom of the bowl and it tastes nasty, throw out bottom left overs. I have a straight cob that can get awful bitter at the end. I either throw out or tiny, tiny sips and can stop burn flavor. Tasting ash with no tobacco: clean it good, stem, bowl. For me there is always a little taste when I tug on an empty pipe. Usually goes away with another bowl smoked. You may want to buy a cheap brier you can get a decent one less the 50$. The cobs taste can be off-putting to some. I find that gently smoking a cob in the beginning prevents wood burning n corn burning.

Reactions: Kal

Kal

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Misplaced Texan, in Ohio
You might try tobaccopipes.com they have many many pipes under $45. I just ordered

for under $40 a briar pipe is not bad. Many many to select from. This will be my 2nd Molina

Reactions: MARC52

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Answering the question about Mountain Laurel, I find its smoking characteristics just about identical to briar, which is why it was chosen as a substitute. There was no discernible flavor with new pipes, and it has the same fire resistance over time as briar. It doesn't burn through.

M

MARC52

You might try tobaccopipes.com they have many many pipes under $45. I just ordered

for under $40 a briar pipe is not bad. Many many to select from. This will be my 2nd Molina
The Rossi line of pipes are also an excellent value in pipe smoking. I like the Notte line, acrylic stems and non filtered.

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
I have a Molina Peppino, it's a little guy, I really like and an awesome clencher. I totally agree tobbacopipes.com is awesome, I order everything from them.