PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

evyn

Lurker
May 12, 2013
Ionia, MI
Hi there,
Evan from Johannesburg South Africa here, currently residing in Ionia, MI. Long-time user of the site, but newly registered. Looking forward to participating.

homes13

Lurker
May 13, 2013
Good evening ladies and gentlemen,
I am proud to say I am most likely one of the youngest newcomers on this site (my age being only 23). After reading so many a fine article on this website and the decency and respectabilty this forum presented to me in most (if not all) of the posts by members, I felt like I had truly found something special, an eclectic mixture of the old traditions of pipe smoking with the modernization of the internet. As I have always been told, I was born in the wrong century. :) Currently, I have just bought my first pipe, a 15" Shire pipe (And in ernest, I have yet to learn its exact style name). I shall very soon post pictures up and any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, as my newly found love for pipes is still in its infancy, absolutely any good pointers including good pipes/tobaccos/etc for purchase would be greatly appreciated upon my part. Thank you all and many a good smoke may you enjoy!

mobeasto123

Lurker
May 12, 2013
Hi guys, I'm new to Pipe smoking. I never smoked cigarettes, but both of my parents do. Everytime I go hunting or fishing I buy some Colts cigar or prime time cigarillos in a way to give something more to the activity I'm doing. For the last 2-3 years I was in need of something new but didn't really knew what at this moment, I tried chewing tobacco but that wasn't good. My Friend bought a Shisha pipe, I was more than please by the experience and how relaxing smoking sisha was. I tried to resist I swear but the last month I couldn't stand anymore I decided to Order a Missouri meerschaum Diplomat apple shape bent. I've read everywhere that cob pipe is a great way to start and if by some any reason I don't like somking pipe I wouldn't be ruined. But I don't think I may be able to look back cause this is excatly what I was missing and what I was looking for the last 2-3 years. Maybe I'm a natural pipe smoker or I don't know but damn I love it. I loved it so much That I decided to order with a friend a bag of smokable second from MM in a way to have a kind of rotation. So know I have 6 pipes and also a mini one that I can use. Here we don't have any tobacconist so I have to go with OTC tobacco, and the choice is pretty limited: Captain black, Sail, Colt, Drum and some other. So for my fist bowl I went with Captain Black white. After viewing a lot of video on Youtube on how to pack a pipe, how to smoke a pipe and everything, I thought I was ready to givi it a go. I packed it according to the 2 step method, checked the draw, fake lit it tamped it and lighted it for real and Voila I was in heaven took it with a cup of Earl Grey tea. It was a really great experience.
So this is it Here I'm at 31 years old, 2 kids and a wife and some MM corn cob pipe to relax and enjoy a great smoke from time to time ( in fact this is once or twice everyday since I started).
I'm a big game hunter but also an upland hunter with a pointing dog. I train him and get some rewarding results on ruffed grouse and woodcocks. Also I a big fly fishing fan, I built my own fly rod and do my own fly so when I catch a fish Is it pretty rewarding.
This is about it for now
David
P.s. This is a really great website there is everything a guy need to know on here.

May 16, 2013
Hello everyone from Hawaii! New to smoking and joined to try and connect to fellow pipe smokers. I'm in my mid twenties, so as you can imagine, I'm the only person in my group who smokes. So hopefully I can learn a thing or two from all the knowledge on these forums.
Aloha!
Will

claudiocesar

Lurker
May 18, 2013
Greetings from Brazil,
I smoke a pipe for thirteen years. I'm fan of Dunhill tobaccos and some blend involving latakia and perique. I'm a collector of pipes, but still beginner (around 60 pipes, but I plan to reach 300 pipes at least). I have a fine collection of books including some about pipes, but I wish to have all the good books on pipes on my shelves. Love researching pipes as its history and manufacture.
Best regards,
Cláudio

sebert81

Lurker
Feb 4, 2013
Greetings from Germany,
I'd like to introduce myself: I am Sebastian, 31 years old, and a pipe smoker since 2003.

Like most Germans I use charcoal filters, because here your first pipe usually is a

9mm filtered pipe, and once you start filtered it is very painful to go filterless (believe me, I've tried).
I do not restrict myself to a certain type of tobacco, I like virginia flakes (OGS, Veermaster, Best Brown Flake)

light aromatics (Larsen 32, MacBaren Scottish Mixture, HU Tillerman) full aromatics (DTM Da Vinci, DTM Holmer Knudsen, JA Brown & Yellow) and "English" mixtures (My965, EMP, Huber English Balkan, Rattrays Seven Reserve).
I do not own freehands yet, I usually go for classical shapes by Stanwell and Vauen. I also own a few Poul Winslows/Crowns.
So far I've only been active on german forums, but I am really looking forward to exchange pipe smoking thoughts and experiences with an international community.
Best Regards
Sebastian

beor

Lurker
May 20, 2013
Hello everyone.
New pipe smoker from Quebec,Canada.

My interest was piqued when I discovered my great-grandfather's collection (about 5 relatively cheap briars)

in my mother's attic and since have been hooked.

If anyone could recommend me a good canadian site that sells tobacco or a B&M near Montreal

I would be much appreciative

since I'm a little scared of ordering from outside.(the whole shipping thing is pretty blurry to me).

coolsiggy

Lurker
May 18, 2013
Greeting Pipe lovers

Started with pipe smoking in 1963 or so when I gave up ciggy's so I could buy a Motorcycle. This was in St Paul Mn. where I was born in 1937. Work (EE) took me to Australia where I am now retired and living the good life in Perth, Western Australia. My hobbies include, Computing, Photography, and cars. I've collected over 50 pipes mainly from Europe and rotate 2 daily (4 fills each) from 20 favorites. I inhale 1/12 or so.

Tobacco use in Australia is actively discouraged, 50gram packet = 60$AUS. I import my stash from Edwards at 35$AUS/50gram.

Question, Why is my avatar not displayed in tread replies? Forget this... just worked it out.

desertofice

Lurker
May 21, 2013
Hey all,
My name is Ryan. I'm from the suburbs of Detroit, MI.

I picked up my first pipe while in college back in 1999.

I stuck with it for a few years, smoking Captain Black Royal.

I gave it up in about 2002 or 2003. After a long break, in 2012 I decided

to give pipes/tobacco another try. I'm still into aromatics, my favorite

being McClelland's Tastemaster. I've found myself roaming into VA/Per territory

more recently. I particularly enjoy Hearth&Home Louisiana Red.

Currently, I'm using a Dr. Grabow Riviera (straight) and various cob pipes.

I've got a Kaywoodie Red Root(bent) on the way. Looking forward to digging into

the forum and conversing with some fellow pipe smokers!
Cheers!

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
Hi just signed up. I had a smoked pipe a long time ago. I was young then. Now I have decided to pick up the pipe and try again. So far I am really enjoying it. I joined because I have belonged to several cigars forums and enjoyed my time there and I have been reading the posts here and I have gained a lot of knowledge so far. I live in rural Maine so I have to get much of my information and supplies online. I am still figuring out what I like for blends.

hemsworth

Might Stick Around
May 27, 2013
Good afternoon everyone. My name is Hemsworth and I am a member of a few cigar forums. I bought my first pipe when I was 17 back in 1987 and I had smoked mostly Borkum Riff tobaccos. I would lay my pipe down sometimes for a couple of months, sometimes for years. I was also a casual cigar smoker since that same era.
In the last couple of years I have fully embraced the cigar fanatic in me and now I am also finding a new love and appreciation of the pipe. My lonely Peterson from 1987 now has a couple of new pipes to call friends and I see this as getting very rapidly out of control.
Anyhow, Just a quick little introduction and I am looking forward to burning many hours of my life browsing through this forum.

matteo

Lurker
May 27, 2013
Hello everyone :)

I'm Matteo and I write you from Italy!

The first time I tried to smoke pipe I was 16, in 2005 but I quit.

Then I started smokin' pipe the right way just last year :)

I prefer English tobaccos and some Italian blends.

I would really like to try an American tobacco some day, just like Missisipi river or Frog Morton but unfortunally Italian laws avoid to buy tobacco online from any Country in the world, Italy too.. :-( so my only chance to get some of this stuff is...going in the USA for a trip lol (nice idea though)

Weel, I finished

Sorry for my bad English hope I made me understand :)

Greetings from Italy

Puff on
_Matteo

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
Hello everyone my name is John and I'm a pipe smoking noob. I've been in the game about 3 weeks and love it. I've never smoked cigarettes or anything before my pipe and never been around anyone who smoked a pipe... I guess I was somehow drawn to it. To get my feet wet and to see if I even liked pipe smoking I got a Missouri meershaum from aristocob bought a pouch of captain black white like a true newbie and fired up. Well needless to say my pack was all wrong and my puff was fast and chaotic at best. I may be a little "special" because it took me a little while before I could get a decent draw without inhaling and by the time I got the hang of it I was border line ready to yack!!! I was prue poetry in motion let me tell ya. I watched a few YouTube videos got a bit better at packing and went to my local tender box and got some Wilshire (Lanes 1Q) and a pipe zippo,life got a little better. I read a few reviews on tobaccoreviews.com looking for a popular blend for beginners and got some aromatics from J.M. Boswells and a brand spanking new boswell pipe and wow. I'm proud to say that as of today my pack is getting much better,a nice and ever burn all the way through and the draw on my boswell pipe,amazing. I learned a great deal in short amount of time with all the very helpful posts. Looking forward to some excellent posts.

revspipes

Lurker
May 27, 2013
hello everybody I am a relatively new pipe smoker and a very new pipe maker.
I have a wonderful wife and two grown daughters, and a buff little English Staffy named Winston.
I am a church starter, a former mma (cage) fighter, a former repo man, a brazilian jiu jitsu black belt, a former Portuguese bullfighter, a former bouncer and currently I make my living by supervising a restoration of a hundred year old Greene and Greene home.
Not sure how much time I will have to post here, but I often wind up on this site when I am googling for some pipe information.
rev

digitalshave

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
Haven't done this in a while...keep forgetting. "Welcome New Members" There are many helpful and friendly people here.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Hello all from the East Slope of the Canadian Rockies, or thereabouts (Calgary). Alcohol stopped agreeing with me a while ago so I quit, but I missed the "geek" aspects of good wine and fine liquor. Think I've found that in the world of pipe collecting and tobacco.
Not even a month in and I have already purchased 3 estate pipes -- plus the $30 Capri that got me started -- and am cycling through 3 tobaccos (a Golden Cavendish blend, some Virginia Flake and Dunhill's Nightcap).
Anyway, in the process of making every mistake a newbie can make (damn that tongue bite), but I'm havin fun.
See you all around!
Rocky

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
Hello everyone! I'm from Portland, OR and I first started smoking a pipe about 12 years ago as an alternative to cigars. I took a few years off from the hobby, but I'm back now. We have a nice monthly club in the area that meets at a pub, and a decent selection of B&M stores.
I have a small collection of cobs and briars, and I tend towards Va or Va/Per/O style tobaccos. I signed up for the site because I was looking for some information and Google kept leading me here. Then I listened to the Radio Show and I knew I would want to comment from time to time, so I signed up.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I am obviously new to this forum. Been visiting the website for a while, but just found this forum in the past few months.
I have been smoking a pipe for a couple of years now. It was a kind of "love at first site" for lack of a better term. I bought my first pipe about 2 years ago, and have loved the adventure ever since.
Looking forward to learning from all the experience around this site!

youngsmoker

Might Stick Around
Jun 1, 2013
Hello im 19 years old and have been smoking pipes for about a year now and absoulutly love it.I first started smoking cigars at 18 and enjoyed them but got kinda pricey so I ended up switching to pipes and actually enjoy it more and enjoy learning about it and my other hobbys include hunting,fishing,guns,paintball and programming anyways thanks for letting me join this awesome site im actually smoking coyote classic full now from mclleland

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Hello everyone,
I have been smoking a pipe now for almost a year and lurking around the forum for about as long. I have really taken a liking to the sweeter english blends. I am currently making my way through a tin of SG chocolate flake. I am also a avid homebrewer. Looking forward to interacting with you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.