PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Hello all, new member from New Brunswick Canada.I have dabbled off and on with pipes for about 35 years, smoked cigarettes longer than that.I gave up the cigarettes New Years day and after four months have picked up the pipe.I always smoked OTC brands but have been trying English blends.Looking forward to all the great info and opinions on here, looks like a great site. Dave

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
Hello all, I'm a 27 year old currently "in exile" in West Virginia, but I have lived most of my life in VA and consider myself a Virginian. I've been a cigar smoker and casual pipe smoker for a couple years now, but very recently I find I'm becoming deeply into pipe history and collecting / refurbishing as a hobby. And as you can probably tell from my handle, my favorite pipe by far is the ostentatious, lovely sweet and mellow gourd calabash!

May 7, 2015
Hello, my name is David I'm 46 and live in northern Nevada. I have been a pipe smoker for a little over a year. I started out with a Flying Dutchman carved pipe I got on Amazon. I soon picked up a MM Country Gent. For my birthday a couple of months ago I picked up a Mr. Brog #31, it has a small bowl, I was looking for a half-hour smoker. I found this forum a few months back and have been "Ghosting" it getting more info on pipes and tobacco. You guys really know your stuff and I thank you for your knowledge. I just picked up a Savinelli Leonardo Da Vinci Rusticated Vitruvian Man. I read good things about Savinelli pipes on the forum and picked one up. Smoked it for the first time this weekend with some Shortcut to Mushrooms. Great smoke. I wont give my opinion about pipes or tobacco, I don't know that much. But I'll chime in about movies, books, music and anything else that might catch my fancy. See ya around the forum.

papabatman

Lurker
May 13, 2015
Hello i am Frank. been smoking a pipe for a couple of years. using cheap tobacco like golden leaf. doing a little mixing with some Newminster No. 23 Blackberry Brandy. smoking out of a Briar pipe. trouble is i am a stem biter cracked a lot of stems. having a hard time trying to figure out how to find the right size replacement stems, or a better material that won't crack as easy any advice would be helpful.

swillie777

Lurker
May 14, 2015
United States
Hi all,
I'm a 21 year old man from Baton Rouge, LA entering my 5th year at LSU this coming August as a student of mathematics! I've recently come into pipe smoking (roughly 6 months ago), and I don't regret a second of it!

Aside from studying math and smoking pipes, I enjoy writing stories, playing guitar, drinking scotch, and watching baseball (GO LSU TIGERS/BOSTON RED SOX!!!).
I am really looking forward to being a member of this fabulous community!

barrets1

Lurker
May 17, 2015
Hi everyone,
I've recently wondered into the world of pipe smoking, and am really interested in finding out more about it. A friend of mine recently gave me my first pipe which I'm currently looking to find out more about. I'm sure its the start of an awesome journey. Looking forward to contributing to the world of pipes!

mvmadore

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2015
Northern NY
Hi all,

I'm Mike from Northern NY for the past decade. I'm nearly 60 and have recently started smoking a pipe for no good reason other than it's an enjoyable pastime.

I've smoked a pipe decades ago but stopped for no good reason. I've not smoked a cig for nearly 30 years.

My fondest memories of pipe smoking was watching my grandfather...VaVoo in Portuguese...smoke his pipe in the cellar while rocking and sipping his wine...made a fine Port wine...

I have his last pipe...he died in '75...and it is in brutal condition...he smoked the hell out of them and didn't baby them in the least...I'll post a pic of it.

My first pipe currently is a HIS which I bought at the local cigar shop. It is OK but I bought a Bjarne Viking sandblast w yellow Rhodesian several weeks ago and love it...it smokes so pleasantly and I love the shape and feel. I'm smoking Odin's Wind and enjoy it as well.

Here's a pic of both.

IMG_0481_zpsi1gkfxv4.jpg

IMG_0484_zpsz9s9vawx.jpg

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
Hello all,
My name is Michael and im 43 and from Poulsbo, WA. I have read the forums for a few years but finally decided to join as I have been trying to build friendships in the pipe community. I'm a stay at home dad and have 4 kids from 22 thru 12. I have been smoking a pipe since 2009 and like many started with Captain Black and a couple of years back switched to mainly british style virginia's and flakes. I mainly collect British estate pipes with a unsmoked 1971 Dunhill liverpool being my prized possesion. I Have recently joined the Seattle Pipe Club and the Kitsap Pipe Club this year and would love to smoke with anyone in the Seattle/Kitsap region. Thanks for having me, Michael (Mr. Anglophile)

roasterdave

Lurker
Dec 14, 2014
I joined here back in December shortly after I bought my first pipe, a Brigham Voyageur and just posted for the first time today so I figured an intro was in order. I come from a line of pipe smokers, both my father and grandfather smoked pipes into their 80s. At 58 I guess I'm a little late to the game. After trying random tobaccos I seemed to have settled on aged Virginias as my baccy of choice, favouring the McClellands right now. Looking forward to learning lots here and maybe picking up another pipe or 2 along the way.
Dave!

ckgdrums

Lurker
May 20, 2015
Hey everyone! My name is Chuck, and I am 53 years old, and just started smoking pipes, in earnest, about a year ago. I can honestly admit that I feel like I have NO experience with this, hence my being here... lol. So, I am hoping to learn a ton from this site and its members.
I currently have a $30 "basket pipe" that I just got broken in, but am asking for a Peterson Linsdale (smooth finish) for Father's Day this year (fingers crossed).

rowanredthorn

Lurker
May 20, 2015
Hello everyone, my name is Geovanna and I'm from California! I'm a medical student, and currently a surgical technologist. I enjoy sports, being outside, and anything new, especially if it entails an adventure.
I'm new to smoking pipes and I would like to learn more about it. Like some of the newer members have previously stated, I've been visiting this site for a while and decided to finally join! I look forward to conversing with everyone and getting involved with this community!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My name is John, live in the country in N. California, and will hit 71 in a week. (!)
I started with pipes over 50 years ago, but put it aside for over 40 years. Over the last six or so months, I've taken up the gauntlet with great gusto, refurbished several existing pipes, acquired 4 or 5 new ones, and a handful of estate pipes. I am only now learning how to properly load and rotate my pipes, since I now am smoking

4-5 bowls a day. I've been fortunate enough to have acquired some very good seconds 50 years ago, and they are returning old favorites. My current favorite is a new (six months ago) Blatter and Blatter bent billiard, which I bought new in Montreal, direct from the man who carved it. I recently acquired a vintage Dunhill, mostly out of respect for a cousin who gifted me one 50 years ago, but I lost it.
I am taking better care of the pipes than I did long ago, and bit by bit I am removing the scorch around the rim as I find I like seeing the wood grain from the top. Also believe I've been smoking the wrong tobacco- English blends from two different shops in my area. Now with Comoy's Cask 11 and it all seems to be straightening out- so far no bitterness. Probably was smoking too moist as well. I need to learn to not go out and work in the garden with one of my sit down or estate pipes, as I will drop it every now and then, sometimes on a hard surface.
I've been hanging out in the restoration and repair section, as I enjoy bringing things back to service and beauty where possible. Look forward to reading more about our members and their travails and triumphs.
Cheers,
John

navypipe23

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2015
Greetings!!
I am 33 years old and began pipe smoking while in the navy on a cheap briar. I eventually moved up to a Peterson Killarney which I absolutely loved. It broke a year after I got out and haven't smoked pipes since. I'm looking forward to getting back in the hobby once I'm able to make it to the local store here in Pennsylvania but haven't found time yet. I'm hoping to slowly replace smoking cigarettes with smoking pipes. Dunhill Nightcap was one of my favorite blends. Looking forward to meeting some other smokers in the area and learn more about the hobby.
Jason

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Good Evening good people of pipesmagazine.com
My name is Mark and I live in Fisherville, Ontario, Canada.
I have yet to smoke a pipe but found this site a few days ago and it brought me back to walking into my Grandparents' house and seeing Grandpa sitting in his favourite chair smoking his pipe. I can smell it as I am typing !!!!

So this prompted me to do a little research and order a pipe starter kit from 4noggins.com and am patiently waiting for it to arrive.
Mark

mvizz

Lurker
May 26, 2015
Hello all, my name is Marcus from NE Georgia, just wanted to introduce my self as new member and new pipe smoker

drjjpdc

Lurker
May 26, 2015
North Nanover Twp., NJ
I just found your site and it seems like a lot of fun. I never smoked cigs but have been a pipe/cigar smoker for about 40 years (I'm 60 now) but an infrequent one. I would only smoke a few bowls or a cigar or two a week. I e in college while playing chess. I enjoyed it and it usually annoyed the other player. Naturally this was in the golden years before the anti-smoking Nazis started taking over. It was also when an 18 year old could vote and have a beer.
I found a pipe in my basement recently. About 5-10 years ago I made friends with a student on a music website. We were moderators and he later went on to Rice University in their Upright Bass Music program. He is very good and lives in Germany now. I had moved on to cigars mainly and he was starting out with pipes. I gave him the bulk of my collection and he was very grateful. I got right back into it and got a few on E-Bay; a Carved lattice Meerschaum and a Jobey Bent that I had before (roughened black bowl with a yellow Lucite bit).
Oh yes after all this blabbing I reside in NJ about a mile from Ft. Dix/McGuire AFB. Anyone need any assistance shoot me a PM.

May 27, 2015
Hello fellow pipe smokers. I have been lurking around here for the past year or so and decided to finally make an account.

I have never been too active on forums in the past due to lack of time. Hopefully that will change this time around. I would like to say thanks for all the helpful information I have gleaned from this forum. I used to smoke a pipe years ago off and on and quit due to a few bad experiences. I started back into the hobby over 3 years ago and couldn't be happier. I look forward to being an active member on this site and maybe even offer up some helpful information to pipe newbies one day.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Hello All,

I am a new member and just bought my first pipe yesterday, a Medico Conqueror. I smoked a bowl last evening and that did it for me. I think this is a new passion. After nearly going blind yesterday reading information and reviews, on pipes, tobacco, FAQ's for newbies, I went out this morning and purchases a Brigham Mountaineer, 3 dot #84 and smoked a bowl at lunch.
Oh my gosh!!! I'm 61 and until yesterday never smoked in my life.
Why did I wait so long to try a pipe????

I even bought myself a Vertigo pipe lighter to boot even though I have lots of old fashioned wooden matches.
I'm totally hooked.

What an awesome website!

darthvader

Lurker
May 29, 2015
G'Day, Dave here. Pipe smoker for 20 years but pipes only for the last 5 years. Great site. Looking forwards to getting involved. Now if if some nice person could tell me how to posts pictures i would be very grateful. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.