PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatbrittn

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Upstate, South Carolina
Hey everyone, my name is Brittney from Upstate, South Carolina. I've been smoking a pipe since 2011 and I'm a graphic designer/illustrator by trade. I can't wait to interact with all of you fine folks. :)

bigmunky

Lurker
May 21, 2014
Buenos tacos everyone. Patrick here, just joined today. Used to smoke pipes occasionally while in the Corps. Started again about a month ago and enjoying every moment!

animusfurandi

Lurker
May 24, 2014
My name is Josh, an attorney from Virginia. I've only been smoking for the past few months, but during that time, I received a ton of helpful information from the folks here. I thought it would be terribly rude of me not to join up, if only to extend a sincere thank you. I'm certain I'll be in need of more assistance in the future, so I'm looking forward to being able to get some more personalized advice when that happens.

birddog

Lurker
May 25, 2014
Hello everyone.
Name is Dave. Live in Michigan and just not starting to enjoy the warmer weather. Hello fly-fishing time. Anyways, I work in manufacturing and have 2 beautiful kids and an amazing wife. I can't wait till I can see what the pipe future holds for me.
Great forum. Been searching and studying it for a few weeks. So I thought I would join and enter this community and learn more.
~Birddog~ aka Dave

petrisz

Lurker
May 26, 2014
Good evening Gentlemen :)
I'm Peter from Budapest, Hungary. I've been a casual pipe smoker for 18 years. Sometimes months pass without lighting any of my beautiful pipes. Other times I immerse in the thick clouds of latakia smoke and enjoy this delight several times a week. I started with moderately aromatic tobaccos but then I turned to less aromatic ones and eventually became an English blend smoker. I joined this forum to take part in sharing information.
Best regards,
Peter

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
Okay, so I've been a member for just a little bit now and I would like to re-introduce myself since I've gotten a picture of myself uploaded. I'm 24, married for 4 years now, two children and I seriously enjoy a good bowl of something with latakia in it. I also enjoy a good book. Actualy, I'm ver addicted to reading and if there were a rehab program for such, well, I would have gone and failed! And for the new newbies, all I can say about this place is, what a wonderful place to be!

jamesmertens

Lurker
May 20, 2014
Hello All,

I'm James. I am a father of 2 and hail from Oklahoma, USA. I have only been smoking a pipe since March 2014, so not very long. I have been enjoying it so far and only smoke about 2 bowls once every few nights. So far I have been using "Native American" pipe tobacco or Captain Black. I have been enjoying the Captain Black very much though. I do appreciate any pointers and tips. I feel I have a ton of things to learn and am looking forward to a lifetime hobby. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks,

James

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
hi owen from wales.
just been puffing a few weeks. bought a large variety of samples to see whats what. already discovered styles like and styles i dont. been disappointed with some highly rated blends and found other i just love. thank god im skint or i would already have more pipes than i could smoke.

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
I thought I would introduce myself or maybe it is reintroduce. I have been a member here for awhile but a layoff last year forced me to sell off my modest collection of pipes and the tobacco I had managed to cellar away. I am back to work now and have to commute weekly for it. So Monday to Friday I am away from the wife and family and looking to get my collection going again and curb the boredom.

Yesterday I met up with a fellow member and picked up these two to get me going.

20140529_045239_zpsontfagxi.jpg

20140529_045329_zpsvien5sys.jpg

I hadn't realized how much I missed my pipes till last weekend sitting at home having my morning coffee on the back deck. All I could think about was how much better this would be with a nice bowl full of Frog Morton or some Bulls Eye Flake. The Tobacco Collection will take awhile to build back up but I think there was a small mason jar in my office with an oz of CBW that got missed when I sold everything off. That will go with my morning Coffee Saturday when I get home! I am going to bet CBW will have never tasted so good!

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
Now it's time to sit back, relax and let the good times roll. Congratulations on your new job and enjoy your new pipes.

faust

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2014
Hi, my name is Robert and I'm an 18 year old student from Ireland. I intended to just ask for help about a pipe I was looking for and probably never return but I fell in love with the community of really nice and funny people that share an interest with me. I'm pretty new to the hobby and also one of the younger members I am guessing, but I am very passionate about this new hobby of mine and I can tell its going to last a lifetime. I have already started two threads and would like to thank everyone for helping me so far, I love reading through people's questions and I am learning more and more by the day. Hopefully I will soon be able to pass my knowledge on and pass this hobby to future generations. I look forward to making new friendships with you guys :D (ps incase you were wondering, I don't wear a fedor, have an ironic t-shirt or cycle a fixed gear bike and hating the 'system', I have always loved seeing my grandad smoke his pipe and I don't intend to use this as a statement of my individuality. tl;dr I'm no hipster :p)

Edit: my full name is Robert McConnell, which I just found out is a pipe tobacco brand xD Does that make me super cool?

boomerbrs

Lurker
Jun 1, 2014
Howdy! I am an old time pipe smoker from way back living on the beach near Atlantic City, NJ; please note that MOST of the Jersey Shore is not at all like the ridiculous TV show! Although there is a bit of that action around, too, you just have to know where NOT to go! I have not been using a pipe for a long time now due to health issues, but I am getting my courage up and hoping that I will be able to start again without too many side effects; I would be happy if I could and I guess there is only one way to find out!

I have been on the hunt for one of Mr Hefner's pipes for a long time now and get nothing but dead ends as far as finding the type he smoked for myself- any ideas appreciated!

Will be back often!! :->

pepe3rd1

Lurker
Jun 1, 2014
Ok everyone, my name is Greg also know as pepe3rd1, which in my family Pepe' means Grandpa, my grandpa, my dad now me hence third one (3rd1) My son Dave (birddog) informed me about this site a week or so back and we went to the Metro Detroit's 1st club meeting and met a couple of pleasant members.

This website has gotten me excited about smoking a pipe again, which I haven't done in 20-30 years. Smoking those nasty cigs..... Now I'm gonna try and give those bad boys up and stay with a pipe.

I have a couple of Missouri Meerschaum cobs that I just bought for starters and have now ordered a Savinelli Antique Shell Rustic Briar pipe that should be here in a day or two. Really liked the looks of it and heard that the Savinellli's are a descent brand of pipe to smoke. I've a lot to learn and looking forward to gleaning off y'all in the process.

M

mrsal

Hello all,
My name is Sal, and i'm from the city of Albany, NY. I've been smoking a pipe for just over a year now, starting out with a couple of cobs and some Captain Black, but now have a small collection of briars and modest cellar to pick from. I spent about 6 months working at Park Lane Tobacconist in Clifton Park, but unfortunately I ended my employment there as the manager and I had greatly different opinions on store upkeep, which always fell on to me. I have been lurking on this forum, as well as a few other smoking forums since I was 17... I have always wanted to smoke a pipe! I would like to thank all of the members here for the great information they have provided over the years.
-Sal

Jun 4, 2014
Hello,
My name is Eric and I'm from the Pocono Mountains. My grandfather was a pipe smoker, I still have one of his one of his pipes I rescued when we cleaned out his house. I was about 16 when I first picked up a pipe and a pouch of cherry blend. I drifted away from my friend pipe as the years past, then about 20 years ago during the cigar boom, I came across my old briar and rekindled my friendship. I'm a big fan of Boswell pipes and have a small but growing collection of them along with my other briars. As with anything else I'm always looking to learn something new or explore a different point of view. Eric

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Hi All!
I'm Renia, writer, foodie and new pipe smoker. I went to work for TobaccoPipes.com back in December and figured I should try out smoking a pipe before I started writing about it. Six months later, I'm thoroughly addicted to my quiet evenings with my pipe and typewriter (yup, internet marketing by day and luddite by night). Figured I've spent enough time reading forum posts that I should finally join up myself.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Greetings from DC:
Hi all. I'm originally from South Carolina but have lived here in the DC area since the early 70s, when I was stationed at Bolling AFB. I've smoked pipes on and off since I was 17, mostly as a casual smoker. There was an interesting article on the home page today, in which the industry insider Russ Ouellette observed that upwards of 90% of pipe smokers use COTS store brands with pipes that cost less than $50. That was me for the most part.
I did get serious for a while in the 80s, when I purchased a Petersen and a fabulously fantastical Ben Wade free hand, a Meerschaum gord, and few other decent pipes. I stepped up to stored blended bulk tobaccos but never ventured to tins. I think I thought they wouldn't be as good as the stores custom blends.
But as the political climate changed, it became unacceptable to smoke in public. I gradually abandoned pipes for the convenience of hasty cigarettes guiltily smoked in garages and outside doorways.
A number of years later, I realized that I was using cigarettes for the nicotaine fix and really and truly only enjoyed maybe a single cigarette out of the entire $5.00 pack. So after quitting for hours or days or weeks or months dozens of times over several years, with the help of my God, Nicorettes, nicotine nasal spray (man, what a kick!), Nicoderm patches and Chantix, 6 years ago I put down my last cigarette after for some 40 odd years of being a butt-head. (Hey, I just made that up!)
After about 5 years off the butts, I consciously decided to re-ignite an old flame - my love affair with cigars. I smoked them seriously in the early 80s. But I was newly wed, and there was the one month when I spent more on cigars than I did on my new wife - and as bad, on the rent. My wife was unreasonably jealous and forced me to break up with my Cuban-Nicaraguan lover.
I've spent the last couple of years and more than a couple of grand, reacquainting myself with cigars. But cigars are still an expensive mistress and I've decided to cheat on her with my earliest love, the tobacco pipe. At first, I was just smoking pipes during weekday evenings, as a relatively inexpensive alternative to my cigars.
Alas, I fear that I've gotten pipe fever. I find myself spending time with the pipe for it's own virtue, rather than just as the cheap whore I took her for. I feel ashamed.
So, now I'm acquainting myself and dabbling with tinned tobacco. G.L. Pease Sextant made me realize that pipe tobacco could be as appealing - different yes, but as appealing as most cigars. I've since acquire about a dozen tins, mostly from the G.L.Pease family, and have started rebuilding my pipe collection. First with some Missouri Meerschaums, then a Nording, some so-so briars, and coming soon, Mr. Brog. This will be my starter rotation.
I will be much more selective going forward, looking for pipes that I can love for their virtue and beauty. I'm looking at a few Ben Wades and other Danish estate pipes, as well as some Italian and American made pipes.
I promise I will be more faithful this time around.
Nice meeting ya'll.

Status
Not open for further replies.