PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reap

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
Thought I better say hi being a new member. Been smoking pipes for the last couple of years. Not sure what prompted me to start but since then I've collected a few pipes and some different tobaccos. I quit smoking years ago but still enjoy me a big lipper of skoal. Living in Canada makes it expensive otherwise I'd be working on cellaring more. Over all I never get to smoke enough and usually take the opportunity to enjoy a pipe when I'm driving. The goal for this year is to get out and do as much fly fishing as possible while enjoying some good tobaccos. Of course the snow has to melt first so for the time being I've been checking out reviews etc and wishing it were warmer. See you in the forums.

missileguy

Lurker
Feb 9, 2013
Hello all. My name is paul just switched from cigars to pipes. Like the cigars but pipe seemed a little more economical and easier to transport. I am currently in Afghanistan (U.S.ARMY). My screen name is my job. I repair multiple different missile systems. I am pretty fond of relaxing and thought smoking a pipe would help give me a reason to enjoy it a little more. I have currently been smoking some generic cob on my second one already. Had a little learning curve with the first and thought I was trying to smelt iron in it. I have just ordered some MM cobs and have slowed and calmed down with the puffing. I am currently smoking CAO moontrance sounded nice and I actually enjoy it quite well. I was also sent in the starter pack some sutliff golden age (not bad), Sir Walter Raleigh (not bad) and some captain black cherry (not my favorite).I have just recently found the perfect packing method and had my first extremely enjoyable smoke. Thank you all for the great advice on here and for letting me be a part of your community.

smetz06

Lurker
Feb 10, 2013
Hello! Im Scott and am 32 years old. I discovered pipe smoking about a year ago after I gave up cigarettes. I really enjoy it as a nice hobby. I only own 2 pipes. I also decided to carve my first pipe out of a block of briar wood that I had ordered online. I also love aviation, am a flight instructor, piano player, and have a youtube channel. I like making things with my hands. I love relaxing and having a pipe after a days work, and after a nice meal. Thanks and look forward to meeting fellow enthusiasts and gain interesting ideas, meet interesting people, make friends, and learn about this cool hobby.
Edit: Removed link, L.

waymon

Lurker
Feb 11, 2013
Hello, my name is Waymon. I am a new poster but have been a long time lurker. I have been smoking pipes since the early 70's.

mog69

Lurker
Jan 20, 2013
Evening all,

I’ve been smoking cigarette’s for a long time, but have an itch about pipes for a couple years, and this Xmas my wife bought me a cheap pipe and Holland House aromatic to get me started (the pipe and tobacco were purchased on the guidance of the tobacconist).

Anyway, thanks to Gauntley’s of Nottingham & Smoke-King UK, I have managed to sample around 20 tobaccos so far. What I have learned in two months of pipe smoking is that Peterson Sherlock Holmes / Summertime 2012 & a few Balkan’s is what I really enjoy; but my wife does not. So the aromatic I have is smoked when we are together.

Pipe Magazine web site was the best site (trustworthy information / great topics / easy to navigate) info a beginner like me. The videos / podcast and forum have been invaluable for a relative isolated hobby.

My wife and are touring Europe by motorcycle and will take in the German Moto GP (Sachsenring), so might have to organise a slight detour to fit in some Pipe shops / makers

luacova

Lurker
Feb 14, 2013
Hy everyone. I'm Luis, from Spain. Smoking pipes since 2012 march, so very new in this world, but I Like it!!!

ash13brook

Lurker
Jul 2, 2012
My name is Matt. I'm a truck driver in the Chicago, IL area.

I recently took up the pipe again after a 25 year hiatus.

I'm a diehard corn cob smoker and smoke mostly flake cut tobaccos...so far. That's I was smoking when I quit. Back when there was a Tinder Box in every mall!

Looking forward to getting reaquainted and trying some new stuff.
Matt

ebag

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2013
Name is William. Just picked up the pipe a few months ago. I've never really liked the way cigarettes tasted or anything, nor how quick and not really relaxing it was, so I picked up the pipe. That and it's a lot more relaxing and the few times I get to see daylight since I'm currently active duty Navy. So far, I'm doing mixture of the local tobacco store here in San Diego that's a Cherry Mesquite blend. The pipe is just a ten dollar corncob for the moment before I upgrade to a higher end pipe, any suggestions on that would be wonderful.

leo12

Lurker
Feb 16, 2013
Hi,

Lorne is my first name...have been smoking a pipe for about a year now. Started with two corn cobbs, and recently upgraded to a handcrafted S & T. Have learned a lot from trial and error and from the great knowledge available on forums...

Looking forward to conversing with other great people here!

popsmusix

Lurker
Feb 18, 2013
Hello fellow pipe smokers. Checkin' in from Maryland. I have been smoking pipes for about 3 years now and am loving every relaxing, tasty minute of it. I am currently concentrating on English blends. Dunhill being my favorite for the time being. I look forward to all the information I can glean from the more experienced pipers here. Thanks a bunch, see you around the forums.

webbedtoes

Lurker
Feb 18, 2013
Hi, Jack here. I've been reading for a long time and learned a lot, but I never felt like I had anything of value to add. Started smoking a pipe in highschool, but switched to cigs after a few years. Quit them and took up cigars for a few years. Quit them and went back to pipes. I couldn't be happier. Glad to finally be a member, hope I will have something worthwhile to say.

ajarch830

Lurker
Feb 18, 2013
Hey everyone, my name is AJ. I've been smoking a pipe for about a year now and couldn't be happier. I started out with a little sampler kit if found online that came with a nice little Savinelli and a tobacco sampler to get me started on my journey. I was always curious about pipe smoking and I do love the smell of fresh tobacco. And now a year later I have a small collection of pipes that is still growing along with my interest in different tobaccos and pipes. I love how relaxing it is after a long day to sit and smoke for the evening thinking about everything and anything or sitting outside enjoying the day and soaking everything in.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Wow!

Welcome aboard everyone! :clap:

We look forward to seeing your pictures, reading your questions and comments.

Don't be shy just dive right in.
:puffy:

hardsmack

Lurker
Feb 19, 2013
Hello gents, quit cigs went to occasional cigars and now pipes. Cigars are great but I don't usually have that much time to commit to recreation. So a pipe with a pleasant waft and a flavourful bowl. There seems to be a lot to learn. Which makes this a hobby not a habit, lol. Cheers

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Hello All, I just joined today after lurking around for a while.

First name is Wayne, I have been smoking pipes off and on for many years. I not a super pipe or tobacco collector, I enjoy it as a good break from cigars.

piperat

Lurker
Feb 20, 2013
Hi all :)
New member here (duh, why else post in this thread, I know).
This makes my third foray into pipes. The first time I was too young to be legally into anything tobacco related (long time ago now, I was a teen in the 1980's). I then tried again in my early 20's. I didn't really have any guidance at the time, and selection I could find was mostly OTC stuff, so the experiences were less than optimal. Remembering back, it was a frustrating mix of tongue bite and too hot to hold bowls, or constant relights to the point I'd just grab a cig and give up. You know, general beginner issues, but without knowing what was going on and having no real way to get advice to make it better.
I ventured back in at this point a couple months back due to exposure to other pipe smokers on a wetshaving forum I'm pretty active on and enjoying my experiences with. I'm dropping the cigs pretty fast overall, down to just 3-4 a day at this point, everything else is either ecig or pipe. I have a small collection of fairly inexpensive pipes so far, and prefer mostly aromatics, but I've started to learn I do like other blends as well, so that part is expanding and changing still.
Looking forward to poking about on here and learning more on this new hobby. :)

scpxi

Lurker
Feb 20, 2013
Hello All,
From a faraway land here, just got into smoking pipes.
Not much really of a talker, but do love the company. Started smoking tobacco with cigars then went down to cigarretes and came back strong getting pipes. Never really had much guidance except for the internet and

a friend. So Cheers to all (smoking my old england as of this post) :puffy:

fumareprodeo

Lurker
Feb 18, 2013
Good day everyone,
My name is Dion, 22-year-old university student from Twente, The Netherlands. I'm studying at the University of Amsterdam and aiming at an academic career in Philology. I started smoking pipe about half a year ago, and it's going swimmingly.
I started out with pretty average striaght briar pipe, bit on a the small side but not much, it was already 50 years old and unused when I bought it, so it's more than twice my age. It sold for about a $100, bit expensive for a first one, but it's a good quality instrument.
My first tobacco was a slightly aromatic Danish blend, and I really love it. I recently bought a different blend from the same brand, so I'm taking it slow. No need to rush trying all sorts of tobacco.
A while ago I bought a second pipe, of the same material as the first one. Briar, with an acrylic stem I believe. It has a longer stem, so it's a churchwarden. They're called 'reading pipes' in Dutch. I use it when inside, reading or sitting. The normal one I now use mostly when I'm outside.
For my pipes and tobacco I go to the 'Smokiana Pipeshop' in Amsterdam. It's a shop operated by dedicated Veterans of the Briar, and solely focuses on pipe smoking. It's part of the Amsterdam Pipe Museum, a small museum but they have everything. From old tribal pipes to modern briars and everything in between, supplemented by a bookshop on the subject of pipe smoking. A visit is highly recommended if you find yourself in Holland, it's really worth the effort. Website (in English): http://www.pijpenkabinet.nl/index-eng.html
I will upload some pictures when I get around to it.
About my username, for those who don't read Latin: 'Fumāre Prō Deō' means 'Smoking for God' or 'Smoking on behalf of God'. As I believe tobacco is one of His most generous gifts to Man, and is ours to enjoy and savour. Well, at least pipe tobacco is. Spread the Gospel of the Briar, brothers! :puffy:

rockvillepete

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2013
Hello all,
I’ve been lurking around here for a little while now so I thought I’d take the plunge and officially jump in. I’m Dennis from Rockville, Maryland. I’m mainly a pipe smoker but I guess you could say I also collect pipes since I have over 300 of them. During the last few years I’ve been concentrating on high-grade, pre-republic and patent era Peterson’s but I also collect Danish freehands by Preben Holm/Ben Wade, Winslow, Ilsted, etc. I just picked up a four pipe Ben Wade Danish Hand Model Special Collection boxed set in mint condition that I’m absolutely smitten with!
8490210361_cc6399310b.jpg

I also have a goodly number of Italian makes by Castello, Viprati, Radice, Il Ceppo, Ardor, Rinaldo, Caminetto, and Don Carlos as well as English pipes by James Upshall, Astley, Ashton, Ferndown, Northern Briars, GBD, and Larrysson. I’m also an admin for the International Peterson Pipe Club/Forum in my not-so-copious spare time of late. I smoke mainly English/Latakia/Balkan blends, Virginias, VaPers, Burley, and occasionally Lakeland flakes when the mood strikes. I also love cigars, single malts and fly fishing.
Glad to be aboard!

Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.