PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Mark,

We're pleased to have you among our ranks.

Please feel free to post your questions...

Don't worry about those questions.

We "Old Hands" love to offer up our opinions, and discuss the nuances of our individual rituals, techniques, and tobacco preferences. You know "the why-to's and how-for's."

No one here will ever ridicule inexperience... we were all beginners at one time.

Hopefully you can mine a few gems that you can call your own in your foray into and soon to be passion for pipe smoking.

If you want a crash course, you should scroll down and look at the left column... Bob has some very good videos and articles about tobacco preparation, packing techniques, and some other pipe smoking gems.
Don't be shy... Dive right in.

And, welcome to the fraternity!

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Welcome all y'all, and note the stickies at the top of the forums page--great general info about posting, pics, and tobacco types; as well check out the articles and columns to the left of your screen.

cowboy

Lurker
Jun 16, 2011
I just joined here on the site and I'm one of the young pipe smokers, which there isn't very many of nowadays, I'm only 21, 22 in july. I'm go to school at Wilmington college where I'm majoring in agriculture/ animal science and minor in agricultural business / economics. I would really like to make new friends on here that have some experience and could give me a few tips on smoking so please add me as a friend I'm respectful and easy to get along with, I am also very honest with everybody.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Glad to see you here cowboy. You'll find us a very knowledgeable group. Don't hesitate to ask any questions. Someone here is bound to have the info you are looking for.

Jun 17, 2011
HI, John here from ontaio canada, been smoking pipes for about 5 years of and on, and been serious about it for the last year or so and even more the last little while, i have about 8 pipes in my collection and about 10 tins of tobacco.. Just came across this site and couldnt refuse joining.. Ill update my profile soon with my list of pipes etc

rick777

Lurker
Jun 16, 2011
HI
Joined a few days ago.
I have been smoking a pipe for ~30 years. Started back in the day when you could enjoy a smoke inside the "pit" at university while studying. The good ol days.
I have something like 45 pipes, a couple real gems and the rest pretty normal stuff.
I am always full of questions, some can be pretty dumb.... Oh well, always learning.
I have started a personal tobacco log with simple reviews/ratings. Since dec 2010 I have 52 different blends logged.

As I write even now, I am smoking Davidoff Flake Medallion, and I must say, it rates very high for a 3am smoke.
I quite look forward to being part of this site, it is the best I have seen.
Rick

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Rick!
I am always full of questions, some can be pretty dumb.... Oh well, always learning.

Not to worry my friend.

I too have been smoking pipes for 30 mumble years, and still have questions.

I have learned so much from this wonderful bunch of guys and gals, and am still learning.
We're glad to have you aboard.

Don't be shy. Dive right in.

The only dumb question is....

lnf42

Lurker
Jun 18, 2011
Hello all. I am wondering if anyone knows what happened to #10 Virgina by Dunhill. I smoked it for years and then it disappeared from sight. Also their 759 Blend. Thanks

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Inf42.
I know for a while no Dunhill blends were available in the States.

Those may be two blends that didn't meet the business requirements for the resumption of distribution here.

Some of our brothers across the pond may have more precise information.
Again welcome to the fraternity.

rick777

Lurker
Jun 16, 2011
Perhaps off topic but ....
Brigham has their "D" series. During my discussion with the Brigham rep at a local pipe event, she (Penelope) told me that the D series is made by the same blender(s) as Dunhill and is the same blends. Apparently "My Mixture" is the same as Dunhill 965. I had a chance to test both at the same time and they do smoke so identically that I was hard pressed to tell the difference. I smoke it on a regular basis. It is available here in Canada, and perhaps the US as well but I am not sure. Tobacco is so heavily taxed here I an not sure how the price compares.

They have a D series Virginia flake, it is quite good.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome to inf42 and rick777. Also welcome to any new members I may have missed. Glad to have you here.Hope to see you here often.

ozziepiper

Lurker
Jun 19, 2011
Hi Pipers!
19 year old Australian here about to enter the amazing world of pipe smoking. Just the hobby I've been looking for. Purchasing some nice briars asap.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Ozzie!
We're glad to have you among us here.
I don't believe your from Australia... You don't type with an accent. :D
Just kidding of course.

Don't hesitate to post your questions.

We love questions, and we'll never ridicule your questions.

We were all beginners at one time.

:puffy:

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome ozziepiper. Hope to see you here often. There is some real good info on the left sidebar that may help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.