PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briartuck

Lurker
May 29, 2011
Greetings one and all! I am based just outside London in the UK. I took up pipe smoking recently in the west country. I have been a heavy smoker for many years, and as I approach my 40th birthday, i thought it was time to progress to pipe smoking. The whole ritual, combined with flavour and contemplation goes well with my allotment. 140 square meters of vegetable garden rented from the local council. i have not yet smoked my pipe in a public place. I will keep you posted! Glad to see there are many of us from all over the world!

gottagotogrow

Lurker
May 27, 2011
Hello fellow pipe lovers. I picked up the briars again in this last year after a several year sabatical with cigars. Pipes offer more for my lifestyle these days and they are just darn cool. I have found it to be less socially acceptable, or maybe socially common is the right word, than lighting up a cigar. I'd like to do my part to open people's minds some to the world of briar. Don't you just love it when non-pipers give you the hairy eyeball when you light up? Really? It's like their expecting a different type of weed to be in there or something. Oh well, those who don't smoke a pipe can't understand the bliss that comes with such a steady friend that continues to tell new and exciting stories. God Bless Pipedom!

creaturesid

Lurker
May 31, 2011
Hello, I have been smoking a pipe for some time and love collecting them. I am looking forward to thsi site as i have not been on one before. I like to blend my on flavors of tobacco.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Okay, I've been on enough forums that I know the drill! :) Anyway, smoked a little in college, got back into pipe smoking a few months back and have been active on a few other forums. I've been checking this site out quite a bit and decided it was best to join and not lurk.

almeida

Lurker
Jun 4, 2011
Hello, fellow pipes.
Previously, sorry for my poor english, but I hope you all undestand me.
I'm Rafael Almeida, from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I'm 26 years old, almost 7 of them smoking pipes.
This is the link to my pipes photos.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.110783972334478.19790.100002086284029&l=29a96596ff
My favourite blends are the ones those contain latakia, but sometimes I try an aromatic. Now I'll start my VA's adventure.
I'm happy to share my pipesmoking life now with my fellows all over the world.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Rafael,
Don't worry about your English, many of us... myself included... make a faux pax from time to time.

If you can get them, I would recommend you try G.L. Pease Haddo's Delight and Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd.
We're glad to have you aboard!

Don't be shy...

Just dive right in.

We all look forward to your comments, questions, and pictures.
Edit: Had to correct a grammatical error. :oops:

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome aboard Raphael. Your English is better than a lot of us who speak it all the time. Hope to see you here often with your posts, pics of pipes or any questions you may have.

gaw76

Lurker
Jun 5, 2011
Hi, just singed up and saw there was this post to introduce yourself in. My name is Greg and I am very new to pipe smoking or any smoking for that matter. I,m 34 andMy first smoke ever was early this January.

I actualy joined mainly to ask a specific question. But I'm sure I'll enjoy the site for a long time to come.

O.K. So the question is. Other than tobacco what can be smoked in a pipe?( and I'm not referring to ileagle substances! )

I ask because my wife has a herbs book that says something about smoking Olive leef. But not much els about it. And I was wondering. If any one hear new anything about it.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Greg.
As an answer to your question...

There are so many different tobaccos that service so many different tastes, I don't think anyone here would recommend smoking anything but tobacco blends. I would be very wary of smoking anything else. There are a number of aromatic herbs utilized in the blending of tobaccos. e.g. Deer Tongue for its vanilla qualities, Anise for its licorice flavor, and cinnamon... etc. Russ Ouellette has written a number of articles about blending that may answer some questions you may have. The Basics of Tobacco Blending
If you are looking for a good source for information about what is available, I recommend you spend some time on LuxuryTobaccoReviews.com. There is a wealth of very good information there, about English, Aromatics, and Crossover blends. Look to the left hand column for some classifications of the myriad of tobacco varieties.

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
Welcome to all, this is a great forum and I hope you enjoy the camaraderie it as much as I do.

jayinhk

Lurker
Jun 6, 2011
Hi :) I'm Jay from Hong Kong and I've taken quite a liking to pipe smoking! I have a block meerschaum skull pipe I bought directly from Turkey, and I've been buying up pipes like crazy over the last few days. I like English blends best and can't stand aromatics. I also enjoy good cigars--Cubans are legal here and I have a well stocked humidor. :) Looking forward to learning from the knowledgeable folks here!

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
Well hey there!
The name is Luke, and I'm just some 19 year old kid that has fallen in love with pipes. Ever since I saw one of my friend's father smoking one of his many pipes, I always wanted to try. That was about four or so years ago. About a year ago today, I had graduated High School. As I did my rounds, talking to people, my friend and his father come up and gave me a bag. 'Congradations.'
What inside truley changed me. A simple 1/4 Bent sand blasted Viking pipe, a Czech 3 in 1 tamper, a simple lighter and an 1.5 ounces of Cavendish tobacco, lightly flavored with vanilla. I now spend most of my free time learning about pipes, tobacco and the history of pipes.
While I have no idea what I want to do with my life, I do know that pipes will always be a part of it. At times, I joke about running off and starting my own B&M tobacco store, but seeing as I lack a college degree, nor do I know enough about the subject, it is merely a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.