PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolf

Lurker
Jun 7, 2011
Hey everybody, I just joined up today and I'm excited to explore this site! I have been smoking pipes for a couple of years now. I first got into pipe smoking after reading J.R.R. Tolkiens works, and watching The Lord of the Rings movies. My first pipe was hand carved by my best pal, and him and I have shared many great times sitting in the forest and smoking our pipes. I live in British Columbia Canada and spend lots of time outdoors. Smoking pipe fits in perfectly with the outdoor lifestyle and I find smoking my pipe helps me to relax, and enjoy my surroundings more.. My favorite time to smoke my pipe is in the midst of nature, and after a hardy feast. I'm looking forward to learning all I can from this site :)

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
Welcome, Wolf!
There are a number of Canadians on the board, including a few from Beautiful British Columbia. Regarding the Tolkien-LOTR connection, there are a number on the board who have a similar story to tell. Funny note about that, in the extended edition of the LOTR DVDs, there is a comment (I believe it was from Peter Jackson) that he considered removing the pipesmoking from the movies as unhealthy, but then realized it shouldn't be done. There is a bit of a nod toward the anti- sentiment in the last movie, where Gandalf has a bit of a choking fit and puts his pipe away, but with all due respect to the Grey Pilgrim: you're not supposed to inhale, buddy.
Have fun, and see you around the threads!
Simon

drjones

Lurker
Jun 8, 2011
Hello all!
My name is John and I'm from beautiful Catalonia, Spain. I'm historian and journalist but I'm currently working in the IT sector. I've been a longtime roll-your-own smoker and occasional cigar smoker. But it never fully satisfied me. Last year I decided to try the pipe and I wish I did so earlier. I don't smoke much and I'm still learning about pipe smoking, but I'm enjoying every bit of it.

I've been reading this site wich has proven a good source for information and news about pipe smoking and tobacco and I thought that it was about time I registered.

abel

Lurker
Jun 9, 2011
Hello All,

My name is Abel, I am 26 years old and I live in central texas. I am a long time cigarette smoker ,but for the last few months I have started smoking cigars also. I really enjoy cigars but its just not affordable for me. My problem is well cigarettes now taste horrible. what can I say I was like so many other people in the world and just didnt know any better. Well now I do. I stated looking into pipe smoking which is what brings me here. looking for some information, and maybe pipe smoking will be a better fit for me.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Abel,
You will find that a good many of us here are former "coughin' nail" smokers.

One thing you might keep in mind when you are in the process of setting them aside and in the learning process (and it is a life long process) is that pipes are far more inconvenient than cigarettes. For me, that is one of the most appealing of aspects of smoking a pipe.

Too many things are far too convenient. It helps to know that you will be smoking a great blend in a comfortable pipe, and that-that little extra effort will be rewarded 10 fold, when compared to just firing up a cigarette.
Cigarettes are just a nicotine delivery system... Where a pipe is a conduit to the pleasures of relaxation, contemplation, flavor, and overall a pleasurable experience.
Don't be shy with your questions. Just dive right in.

Out of the many replies to those questions you will be able to mine some gems that you can take to heart.
We're glad to have you in the fraternity.

clutch

Lurker
Jun 10, 2011
Hello from Houston via the Andes Mountains in Peru! I found this site while surfing the web at work today. I like it! I'm a NPS as I've only been in the realm for about 6 months.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Hello!! Just joined the site a few days ago and love it!!
Longtime cigar smoker that tried pipes a few years ago with no luck. Started again on a whim and am hooked!! In a good way! I find it more enjoyable than cigars! After 2 weeks my local B&M already knows me by name :lol:.
I find that I am really drawn to collecting pipes which could spell problems!! HAHA
I am intrigued by the oom Paul design. Does any one have any suggestions on a quality maker/model or where to find one?
I currently have:
Savinelli bent apple

Savinelli Sherwood Bulldog

Peterson Volcano Sitter (enjoying right now!)

SMS Meerschaum Sherlock Holmes

Working with Unclearthur on a LOTR inspired Churchwarden type.......
Looking forward to surfing the site and meeting fellow briar lovers!!
Rick

reverendb

Lurker
Jun 14, 2011
Hello All! I'm so happy to have found such a wonderful site!
I just recently came into possession of a Algerian Briar and after 4 years of cigar smoking I re-found my love of pipe smoking.

madshark

Lurker
Jun 14, 2011
Hello. Mark Duncan, here. 51, self employed. Fish, hunt (basically, if it will run from me I'll kill it). I have smoked cigars for about 20 years. Really love Fonseca, Royal Jamaica, Hoya de Monterrey maduros. Smoke the Acid line day to day as I go through my work day.
I have just started pipe smoking. I remember, fondly, visiting my uncle Jimmy and him smoking his pipe. He ran heavy equipment and when he got home in the evening he would unwind with a bowl. I loved watching the ceremony as he prepared and the room smelled like heaven.
I will admit that with my first bowl I was trying to smoke it like I smoke cigars and burned my tongue. Couldn't taste anything for three days. The last few bowls have been very enjoyable.
I purchased a half dozen different blends. I really like the Black Cavendish and Black Spice. Highland Whiskey was OK. Tawny Port was not so good, for me. At another local store (where I think the relabel the blends to store names) I tried Picadilly and Nutcracker. Neither really tripped my trigger.
I look forward to meeting the folks on this site and learning some techniques to help me increase my enjoyment. and

Status
Not open for further replies.