PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Tobaccopipes has it. Without pesky tin limits.

That having been said, I only ordered 2. I remember I'm not terribly fond of Cornell & Pease, and that despite Pease's blends being held to a higher standard, many of Pease's blends are sort of average quality Cornell & Diehl blends. Hopefully the two tins arrive in time for me to try them and decide if I would like to invest in more tins. But again, Cornell & Diehl isn't a brand you'd want to cellar blindly without trying first.

Reactions: BROBS

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
Well, I am really looking forward to Spark Plug! Come on people, a new latakia (!) blend of the Dark Lord himself! bdwWhen I began with pipe smoking at the end of 2010 I read all these rave reviews about GL Pease (Chelsea Morning especially was hot at that time) and I really was swept along in the enthusiasm. It almost felt like magic. Now I almost get a bit of a "down" feeling while reading many replies here.. Damn, you folks should thank whatever God you believe in on your bare knees that you have a masterblender like Greg. Not to mention other excellent brands and tobaccos in the USA. Here in The Netherlands we have almost nothing left. Finding a reasonable latakia blend here? Impossible. And for the rest of Europe mainland STG and MacBaren are ruling the waves. Not that they make bad blends (on the contrary), but imho they can't compare to what Greg has to offer. The only European lights in the dark are HU Tobacco and to a lesser extent Motzek. So I cheer for the new GL Pease blend Spark Plug! Hurray! Hurray! That it may age perfectly in my cellar and give me many magical hours of smoking.
I'm with him.

Reactions: drayve85

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
It's on offer at smokingpipes.com, and I just bagged 10 tins. The daily limit is 25 tins.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Latakia doesn't usually come as whole leaves, so some parts of this thing may be more cake than plug.

We know that Cornelly & Diehl make bona fide plugs. I tried the Dreams of Kadath and it was certainly well-pressed.

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I started with just five. I will probably open one as soon as I get it just to form an initial opinion. I'm excited for the new blend but I don't feel anxious about needing to cellar enough to get me through life.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
Tobaccopipes has it. Without pesky tin limits.

That having been said, I only ordered 2. I remember I'm not terribly fond of Cornell & Pease, and that despite Pease's blends being held to a higher standard, many of Pease's blends are sort of average quality Cornell & Diehl blends. Hopefully the two tins arrive in time for me to try them and decide if I would like to invest in more tins. But again, Cornell & Diehl isn't a brand you'd want to cellar blindly without trying first.

Totally agree. I find C&D produced blends to be average also. Pease blends get a lot of hype but for me fresh tins without aging can’t compare to what is produced overseas. They definitely improve with age so I did buy three tins just to sample one and age a couple tins.

Last edited:

cohibajoe

Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Back from my local smoke shop...Opened up Spark Plug...?....(bunch of stems in the mix to boot) and it's like smoking a Pine tar bat. I will be contacting SP on returning (8 Tins)...Never had to return any smoking related item in my life. It's that bad to me...Or I can give these out for 2020 Secret Santa but then it's like given out coal so back to SP it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.