PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Wow! Those are some awesome blends to add!
Eightywon, I'm gearing up to send this box out by Tuesday (9/30) next week. Hope you're ready for it!
-Jason

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
So glad to see you get that box Jason. You're truly the reason this didn't just die off. As I've been reading back through the thread, Wood's you're a great captain at the wheel! Great job everyone!
Craig

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Glad to see folks reading the whole thread. There's a story there, go for it.
Or as my friend from southern Germany says: "I Takes A Willage"

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
Dan, I got your package with Justin's contributions. Actually, I'm enjoying a bowl of Odessa right now. Jason also let me know he's waiting for a package from Patrick (ae1pt) who also wanted to donate something to the box before he ships it out.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Good Afternoon, Cargo Cult Aficionados,
I'd like everyone to take a few minutes and read the most current page of the Canadian Box Pass thread. They have some great folks on that pass, but they've run into some problems recently. I am sure that they will do their own postmortem on this, and I don't want to stand in judgement of their fine efforts. We do, however, have an opportunity to learn from their difficulties, as our goals run in the same direction.
What went wrong here was a bad hand-off. The box was sent without a proper "handshake", no call and response from the sender and recipient. Also, the recipient was not active in the thread at the time of hand-off. It's why we're adamant about the hand-off protocol, and why we have to stick to the rules that we've developed here over time, even when it doesn't seem necessary.
I'm really sorry to see the Canucks running into problems with their Box Pass, and I hope that their precious cargo surfaces safe and sound.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I totally agree Dan. I can't remember who bowed out earlier (Defargin I believe) because he was going away on business, but the previous holder reached out to him first and confirmed this. I feel that this is PARAMOUNT to the success of the box pass and if we are NOT doing it then we will realize the same dread that we have in the past and our brothers to the north are feeling now.
Just my 8 oz of Penzance

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Just to be clear here:
Prior to hand-off:

The box holder MUST post here (not just pm) their intent to move the box.

The intended recipient MUST post here their ability to receive the box.

The box holder MUST PM me for the go-ahead.
This generally works best by just PM'ing me and saying "I'm ready to go!"
I am always available to answer any questions and will do so in confidence. Alternately, you can PM Romeowood. And it's always just nice to hear from you. :puffy:

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Well, it looks like all will soon be well in Canada. Derrick and Pat are meeting up for the pass, so hopefully this will go down as just a hiccup in the chain.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Just to be clear here:
Prior to hand-off:

The box holder MUST post here (not just pm) their intent to move the box.

The intended recipient MUST post here their ability to receive the box.

The box holder MUST PM me for the go-ahead.
This generally works best by just PM'ing me and saying "I'm ready to go!"
See, this is best practices stuff for this kind of thing. Yeah, you COULD just mail the box off and the next guy could get and all would be well. And that will work great -- until it doesn't.
Given the ephemeral nature of our connection here -- we know each other but don't KNOW each other -- and given the time that lapses from when you get into the queue and you get the box -- it just makes sense to engage in the "handshake" Woodsroad describes.
Now why ANYONE would take on the burdensome task of herding all these cats and making this work, I cannot imagine. But I'm damned grateful Woodsroad has done so.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Without the Box Pass "Commandments" ... all would be lost!
Here is Woodsroad passing them down from on high:
watch

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I thought it went like this:
1st RULE: You do not talk about BOX PASS.
2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about BOX PASS.
3rd RULE: If someone says "stop" or goes limp, taps out he has smoked too many samples from BOX PASS.
4th RULE: Only two weeks to a BOX PASS possession.
5th RULE: One address at a time.
6th RULE: No shirts, no shoes in the BOX PASS. (I mean, who wants that crap?).
7th RULE: BOX PASS will go on as long as it has to.
8th RULE: If this is your first time with BOX PASS, you HAVE to PASS the BOX.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Ok, if no other blends materialize tomorrow, I'm sending out to eightywon on Tuesday (10/7) without fail. I'll post up pics of my gives tomorrow.
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.