PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
OK, now my curiosity is piqued.

What is up with folks cross-posting from the "What Are You Smoking" thread?

It happens on a regular basis, and it's always from people who aren't even on the Box Pass List!
So...Ok, here's an

Open Invitation To All "What Are You Smoking Now" Lurkers:
Join the Box Pass! We'd love to have you!

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
I think that it's because the 'what are you smoking' thread always goes for many pages each month and they see this thread with its 20 pages and just assume.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I must apologize, I had taken pictures when the box was ready to be sent when I had it, but never added them ( had done this the first time I did the box pass) I didn't even open the box until I got together with 3 other guys from my area. We don't get a chance to try blends before we buy them most of the time because we live in Washington and to just buy a blend up here is to spend almost 4-5 times more than what we would spend online. I am the only one in our group that takes chances on blends and buys it without knowing if I will like it or not. Being apart of this forum has taught me that if I don't like it now, jar it up. I may like a couple months down the line. Because we don't get paid much (at least the guys that I smoke a pipe with) we don't have a lot of tobacco for our own. So the box pass was a great way for us to cut our teeth so to speak on some new tobacco. The first time I got the box, I didn't have other guys I smoked with, we sorta found each other within the last year or so. Our first impressions when opening was, HOLY CRAP look at all that tobacco. We started taking out the bags one buy one and everyone was like. Oh man I have always wanted to try that....and that....and that. Well you got the picture. We added what we could back into the box and I even have more now to send forth as a care package to bolster the box. This was a very enlightening experience. For those of you who enjoy sharing blends, you would have loved the reactions of the guys who have never tried a VA for the first time. Most of us have cut our teeth on local aromatic blends. But to get a nice VA or Latakia blend was very exciting for us all.
Thank you to all who allowed 3 of us newer piper smokers a great experience. And again I apologize for not posting the pics this time around.

Mar 31, 2014
I literally just clicked on the "What Are You Smoking" thread, when I had meant to check for any new photos on this thread :rofl:
They're easy to confuse when you're moving quick and they fall close together on the list...

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
You should contact LordNoble, I think he's running this show. ;)
Howdy all! I can't wait to take part in this endeavor! I know that I'm not eligible yet, but if it's still going in November (my 4 month mark) I'd love to get on the list.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I loved reading the last two pages. The spirit of the box is in full swing and if Jason says half of the contents are new to HIM then I can't wait until it is my turn again.
Hope to see you 9/18 at Morley's.
Dan

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
Ericthered, I'd recommend reading through the thread, Dan gave me a pretty tough quiz.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Thanks, Eightywon.
Yes, if you want to join this thread, you will need to start by reading it in it's entirety, all 20 pages. Why? We've come a long way, but we've only arrived at this relatively peaceful meadow of Nicotiana rustica through the hard work of (almost) every Box Pass participant, and of every Box Pass Shepherd. The requirement to read the entire thread, an ingenious inspiration of Romeowood, informs the potential Box Pass participant of the myriad pitfalls that await a project such as this, and helps to explain some of the otherwise incomprehensibly odd rules that have been concocted to help keep it on track.
There will be a test, so study up.
@Dan: I really hope to be at Morley's on Thursday. However, I have an early assignment in Jamaica Plains, NYC on Friday morning, followed by a business meeting of the War Horse Tobacco Company, in Briarwood, NY. As you know, I am not one to be the first to leave Morley's. I do, however, require sleep before work. Let's see how tomorrow's assignments go before I start short-sheeting my sleep requirements.

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
No worries, I will read and reread this thread in it's entirety; what better way to spend my remaining months of ineligibility? I am in full agreement with the commandments passed down from Romeowood and all amendments enacted since he passed the mantle.
LordNoble, are you in the Rochester area or is that just the zany path the USPS sent the box on it's way to you?

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Oh, I happily live in the ROC. I love the f-ed up weather and the even more f-ed up roads. Especially when said roads are affected by said weather.
-Jason

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
It's on docket for tonight as a matter of fact. I love Lakeland blends, and this has me intrigued.
-Jason

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
So I smoked the "Box Pass Blend" which woodsroad referred to as the Ennerdale Box Pass Blend. I found it to be very VA forward with a very floral note coming through for the first quarter of the bowl. The remainder proceeded to be a fight to keep it lit as the 15 minutes leaving it out to dry clearly wasn't enough. This blend also benefits from a loose pack I found. The rest of the bowl had the typical hints of hay with some floral notes wisped in now and then. When I came in afterward, my wife said she didn't like the smell.
Does that jibe with everyone else's experience?
-Jason

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Update-vi.png
The Current Box Pass List (updated 9-23-14)
Lordnoble (In Possession)

Eightywon

Yazamataz

Dragonslayer

Tslex

Dermotfahy
If you wish to be added, please READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD BEFORE MESSAGING ME.

Serious. There might be a quiz.

Status
Not open for further replies.