PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I'm ready. Send it on. My wife will be pissed. "You got a stinky box again? You just got that thing that thing last year." I can't wait.
-Jason

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I'd actually challenge her to find this box "scented". Since the addition of the mylar bags(woodsroad idea), this thing really flies under the radar. You could probably put it under her side of the bed and she would have no idea it was there.
I'll send out the tracking number tomorrow.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
You could probably put it under her side of the bed and she would have no idea it was there.
I really have no idea why you would not conduct this fun experiment.
PS I really enjoyed the sample of White Knight that I held back. I like it better than the current Balkan Sobranie.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Hi all...I'm supposed to introduce myself to the thread. If you don't know me -- Nice to meet you. If you do -- Oh no, he's back ;) Great to see Jason getting a full box after the drama (deleted). I put my almost airtight application in again after the drama (deleted). :roll:
Craig

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
PS I really enjoyed the sample of White Knight that I held back. I like it better than the current Balkan Sobranie.
I couldn't agree more, I too forgot to mention that in my post. I'm glad I do as WhiteKnight is easily obtained.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I got the box a couple of years ago. I think I need to get back on the list -- not so much to try stuff this time as to give stuff away. I have a lot of nearly full tins of stuff from my "let's try everything" period last year. (Perique lovers may want to move their place in the rotation to end up after me. I've realized I just cannot abide the stuff and I have Escudo and OGS and Navy Flake galore to get rid of. Likewise aro fans. After 30+ years I simply have to accept it -- except for the occasional dose of L1Q in a cob, aros are NOT for me, no matter hos tasty they sound.) I also have a couple or three pipes that I just do NOT have in rotation anymore. Someone might as well enjoy them.
So, who is running this traveling circus these days? Woodsroad, are you the guy? Lordnoble you are not still stuck with "the duty" are you?
Please go ahead and direct me to the info I need to get into the queue.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
PM sent.
Thanks, Dan.
ETA: aaaaand a SECOND PM sent after I sorted back through this thread and found the update ROI and figured out what should have been in the first PM. (Yeah, I was that guy.)
Again, thanks to Woodsroad for organizing this thing this time around.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
So, a comical British spy once said, allow myself to introduce myself.
As you all can see below the avatar, I've been a member of this board for more that 3 years. I discovered it at that time when looking around for a good online vendor, and so had the pleasure of finding this place and SPC all in the same day.
I've been smoking a pipe since college, so that's coming on to 35 years. I live in the greatest city in America for cigars, and I enjoy one of those now and then as well, but pipes have always been a pastime with a lot more to offer than just a good smoke.
I'm not a "collector." As with firearms, I don't have any pipes I don't use -- which doesn't mean that my lovely bride doesn't sometimes make the mistake of thinking I have too many of either or both, I suppose. As I hinted above, over the years my tobacco preferences have, if anything narrowed (refined?) and I'm a dedicated non-aro, full-English, latakia-loving pipe smoker at this point. A new favorite is the MacBaren HH Latakia flake.
In pipes I favor briars over meer or cobs, and traditional shapes over freestyles or anything too wild.
I'm a lawyer, a sheepdog, the husband of one lovely bride (a comely and feisty Cuban girl I have -- happily -- been unable to tame after 23 years or so), and the father of two sons. I blog now and then at Suburban Sheepdog and I wrote a novel, the sequel to which keeps percolating: The Ugliest of Things.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
And Every man A King!
Meanwhile, back at the ranch:

Date & Time: September 15, 2014 , 4:45 am

Status of Item: Arrived at Post Office Location: ROCHESTER, NY 14612
Folks, I want to start seeing more box pix. This includes pix when the box arrives, and pix of what you are adding to the box.
Some of you are very good at this, others, not so much. Part of this little project is, as Ms. Simon once said, anticipation. It is also about the enjoyment of giving, and the pleasure of bringing something surprising, enlightening and pleasurable into others lives. To that end, I'd like everyone on down the line to take a little more time here in talking about (and showing) what they've enjoyed about the box, as well as whatever improvements they think can be made to the box or to the box pass process. I wholeheartedly welcome suggestions and constructive criticism.
One other note: Folks who are on deck or in the ready position must "favorite" this thread and participate in it.
Discuss.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
(Every meal a feast!)
Woodsroad I read you 5-by-5 and agree utterly. That is EXACTLY the driving ethos of this project in my view.
When I got The Box one time before, I posted a picture of the thing sitting on the chair in my office when I got from lunch. The closed box. And I received many positive comments on the picture.
To me, that says it all. Only pipe guys could possibly have an interest in a picture of a closed box on some stranger's chair in a distant city.
Already putting together my contribution and looking forward to posting those pictures. Let's be honest -- for those of us who have been smoking pipes for a while (I'm at close to 35 years) there's really not that much we haven't already tried. But the idea that some new guy will get a first taste of something because I put it in the box. . . that pleases me much.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
The box has landed and pics are incoming.
First impressions:

I was expecting to only find a few blends I'd want to try. This was an incorrect assumption on my part. Well over half of the box is new to me.
I was expecting some smell to emanate from the box. There was none. I've toyed with the idea of putting it on my wife's side if the bed to see if she notices, but I value my life and the contents of the box, so I'll let another member try that experiment. Also, if it weren't for these awesome Mylar bags, the entire box would've been poisoned by the 1776 Briar Creek Natural which contains Deer-tongue to my nose.
There are a ton of blends in here.

That's all so far. I will post up some pics soon.
-Jason
P.S.- defargin, I had a stupid busy week at work and never sent out your package. It's is going out tomorrow come hell or high water.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
P.S.- defargin, I had a stupid busy week at work and never sent out your package. It's is going out tomorrow come hell or high water.
No worries man no need to rush it.
Those Mylar bags ARE game changers.
Enjoy the next two weeks, because they go fast.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Hello all!
I have been a member of this forum for about a year, although I have been mostly absent the past five months.
I have been a pipe smoker for about five years, I got started on latakia, moved on to Virginias, dabbled in aromatics before deciding I couldn't stand them, and am currently rediscovering latakia, although Virginias remain my favorite.
I really don't have a preference when it comes to material, I have never tried a meerschaum, and I smoke my briars, clays, and cobs all about equally. (Although my favorite pipe is an Omar King briar.)
I am looking forward to participating in this box pass, although I don't really have anything too rare, I do have a large variety, so I am sure I can contribute blends that will interest someone.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Folks, when the postman delivered the box here, I could smell the Ennerdale from down in the 5th sub-basement. And the mailbox is 200 yards from my front door. My wife was exceedingly perturbed that I actually brought it into our happy home and sat it on the dining room table.
Then she went away for a week and I repacked everything in the box into Mylar.
When the box was ready to send on it's way, it was still sitting on the table, and wife had returned. She looked at it, sniffed, and said "What's that?"
"Enjoy the next two weeks, because they go fast."

Yup.

Status
Not open for further replies.