PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The holidays will be hell on ice for shipping. If we can avoid it, I'd rather the box not be shipped the week of Christmas. USPS losses rise that week, and I'd prefer to see the box snuggle up with a lucky piper for the week, rather than go on tour with the 182 billion other parcels that will be sloshing back and forth in the postal system.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Dan on a serious note if the box has to be moved over Xmas it would be wiser to use Fedex. When I see you this month remind to give you the office Fedex account number just to cover these eventualities!

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I'm sort of in that zone as well, where, depending on variables, I might get the box in the holiday season. Now, that would be a swell early, late or timely Christmas present. But my plan is to send the box along with real tracking, either via UPS or FedEx on my account. USPS tracking is, well, not that useful in my experience.
I'm not sure this is a step that would always be necessary (and I'd hate to see guys priced out of participation). But, if you can bear the additional cost, I think shipping with real tracking is to be preferred.
On a more entertaining note, I've been laying aside plenty of samples for my contribution and I've identified two pipes that -- when I am honest with myself -- I have been letting languish in my racks. Those are going in for sure, and perhaps one other.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Tslex, you concern over tracking and box security is well noted an appreciated. I'll be the first to agree that USPS tracking isn't at all useful when you need it most (when a package goes missing). If we encounter any difficulties with USPS delivery or tracking, we will have to consider a move to UPS or FedX. If someone here can demonstrate that UPS or FedX costs the same or less for the same size box or larger, I'm more than willing to throwing it open to the group to decide whether to change the shipping rules. What i don't want to see is a free-for-all in terms of shipping, it needs to remain consistent. Too many variables invites the possibility of a lost box.
So let's stick with the USPS Large Flat Rate Box for now, and see what happens as we approach Christmas.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
cheapest isn't necessarily worth the savings...we are talking about a pseudo government entity..I will pony up the extra to get a tracking number if you are taking a tally here Dan...

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
So here were my additions to the box

478df2a3-7f9e-4fd8-a6cf-b6fa8e498358.jpg

I threw in:

Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream

H&H Lakeland Brickle Fortissimo

Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding

Rochesterville Native (local B&M blend)
ae1pt added these

25554625-b5ef-4158-9ec7-12710e6d7394.jpg

3dfa0c7b-95e0-42ff-b2e8-4bec6b3a165f.jpg

bfa4cb99-5a20-495c-9fe2-665a1e9d8b6e.jpg

This pass was interesting in that the blends it conained were more varied than in its previous incarnations. I was suprised to find Wessex BCDF and Semois in the mix. I was also suprised by how no tobacco fragrance could be discerned when the box was open.
I tried several blends which were new to me. I wasn't a fan of any of the Paul Olsen blends. They were mild, bland and a bit metallic in flavor. I tried two of the russian cigarettes and left the rest for someone who actually smokes the damn things. They were by far the roughest tobacco I've ever tasted. The G.L. Pease Triple Play was good if a bit strong in the Vitamin-N departement. Sterling Balkan was good, but if I'm honest, there are better Balkans out there. If I want a smoky, complex tobacco, I'm heading to Black House or Blue Mountain Balkan. The "Ennerdale" Box Pass blend was a very nice smoke and it wasn't too over-the-top in the floral note.
Blends I took, but haven't tried:

Condor

Plan B

Semois

BCDF

There were some others, but I'm blanking right now.
Things I liked about this pass:

No tins

The mylar bags worked great. Someone will need to stock up on the larger ones soon.

The variety - most other passes were good but had many blends that seemed like people were trying to get rid of. There were a lot of Altadis aromatics which this pass seemd to be missing.

It was less than $20 to ship it with $200 insurance.
Personally this was the best pass I've had the fortune to participate in, and I think a large part of that is due to both the people running it and the contributors.
Happy puffing!
-Jason

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Jason, thanks for the update. It looks like you were able to delve in and enjoy this box to the fullest.
I put the Paul Olsen blends in. I discovered, after the fact, that the Boveda humidification packet that I had put in the tins had sucked all of the aromatics out of the blends. Let this be a warning: Do NOT use Boveda packets with aromatics. I wouldn't leave them in direct contact with ANY tobacco, including cigars.
The Ennerdale Box Pass Blend: It's a mix of all of the tobaccos that had been ghosted by Ennerdale at the time that I received the box. It's all in there, the good, the bad and the ugly. If it smelled like Ennerdale, I dumped it into a bag. I was going to throw it all out, then decided that it didn't smell or look half bad, so I mixed it up and tried a bowl. I liked it. A blend is born, albeit an unrepeatable blend.
Well, it sounds like the box has changed quite a bit since I last saw it, so I'm looking forward to seeing it back here in the near future.
A REQUEST: Can someone down the line offer to order up some Mylar bags and put them in the box? The small bags are 9x12 cm and hold 2 oz., the larger bags are 13x18 cm and will hold up to 6 oz.
Thanks!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
One thing I forgot to mention about the Rochesterville Native is that it contains deer-tongue, which is extremely fragrant and to some very off-putting. It's been used as a condiment in many blends, C&D Crooner and H&H Capitol Stairs for example, and it imparts a slight sweetness to the smoke. I like this blend and it's one that I reach for when I will be in the company of others but want something that tastes decent for me as well.
-Jason

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
So the box landed only 4 days ago, but I think I'm ready to pass it on.

image106-600x450.jpg

image105-600x450.jpg

I tried to count the number of blends but kept getting distracted and losing count. haha. I estimate roughly 70.

I got some Mylar bags (some of which I tossed in the box) and took a bowl or 2 of the blends I wanted to try. Some notable blends to me were the 98 Xmas Cheer and Jason's deer tongue blend. Some of my contributions were 8 year old GLP and MacB blends, some straight VA I tried infusing hickory to w/a smoker, and since Plan B and Smokey Bastard were in there I thought I'd toss in my attempt at a Laphroaig flavored home blend. A few more blends, and with the addition of Justin's (Sparks) donations, the box is at capacity.

image107-600x450.jpg

Dan (yaz) if you're ready let me know. Dan (woods) if you can pm me Dan's info I can probably have it sent out by tomorrow.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Hey guys,
Not sure how many of you saw the thread I posted the other day titled I've colllected some tobacco but all of my tins are packed up and in a nice safe place. With that being said I have nothing to offer except samples of my open tins, and not sure there is enough there to warrant being a giver.
With that being said, please pass me by and go to the next person. I will work with Woodsroad to get back on the list. I will be in my new home by the second week in November, so I don't think I will fall that much behind.
Dan, please have Dragonslayer be next in line (I believe that is who followed me)for the box. I will get back in soon.
I hope this was the proper communication for this kind of instance.
Dan

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Dan, this is very considerate of you. I appreciate that you've thought this out. I will put you on hold. As soon as you are situated in your new abode, and have sufficient time around you to enjoy the box, I'll slide you right back in. Just say "when".
What do you think 40-45 days?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9IJnmbneLc

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Whoa! I missed Eightywon's post entirely!
Thanks for the great update and photos, but what's up with the ultra-fast turn-around? The folks on down the line will appreciate it, but were you able to enjoy the box? I hope so.
Next in line is Dragonslayer. Are you there? His last post was 2 weeks ago.
(Please no PM's to the next in line...he needs to show up here)

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
Dan- just thought I'd try to be as quick as possible. I remember reading way back down that somebody had bought some baggies in anticipation of receiving the box, took what they wanted, and passed it on in a matter of days. I thought this to be quite thoughtful and know how long the weeks are in anticipation of receiving the box. Looks like Dragonslayer is getting the box about a month in advance. Hope he is ready for it. And as far as me enjoying the box, don't worry I got a couple dozen samples I can enjoy at my own pace.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Dan,
I SHOULD be closing on November 7th, so if that goes as planned I will just try to be Johnny jump-in whenever that is possible. I would have loved the box before that to enjoy a bunch of nice blends for the Marine Corps birthday on November 10th, but I would rather this thing move along than have ANY opportunity for a cluster f**k.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Whenever you are ready, Dan, you'll be next.

I'm more than happy to juggle the schedule to accommodate folks.
I'll give Dragonslayer a few days, since his turn came early. He last posted here 2 weeks ago, so he's keeping in touch with the thread. Is that OK Jason?

Status
Not open for further replies.