My Estervals Order Was Sent By USPS To Customs And Has been Shipped Back To Germany

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
There are a lot of excellent aspects of the culture in various European countries... I especially appreciate how in some areas everything is closed on Sunday, and I like their lack of tipping culture. However, customer service in European countries, virtually across the board, is terrible in comparison to what you can expect in the U.S.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I think if you're going to be a viable internet retailer, you factor a certain % of losses in shipping into your pricing. If there is a problem with SP or TP shipments, they make good on it very promptly. Why would Estevals be any different?

I have been trying to place an order with Estervals and they keep declining my credit card, the same one that's been accepted for at least half a dozen orders. I checked, plenty of money in the account. I contact their customer service, the moron who responded said it must be the format I entered the CC expiration date in, European is different. I responded by saying how that's possible when that data entry is a drop down? Then the same guy insisted I was entering the number wrong. I said really, 10 times? Arrogant German bullshit.
He would have been better off if it got lost. I had 3 in a row get lost after landing in the UK last year. I was making a killing off the claims, which are the shipping country’s responsibility even though UK actually lost it.

The 4th package they did not lose but UK customs opened it for inspection and here I had mislabeled it as hobby supplies instead of tobacco on the forms!

They tossed it into the trash per the letter I received...

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
He would have been better off if it got lost. I had 3 in a row get lost after landing in the UK last year. I was making a killing off the claims, which are the shipping country’s responsibility even though UK actually lost it.

The 4th package they did not lose but UK customs opened it for inspection and here I had mislabeled it as hobby supplies instead of tobacco on the forms!

They tossed it into the trash per the letter I received...

Those scoundrels!

• Haha
Reactions: 3rdguy and BROBS

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
Yes i believe someone on here went through this situation a little while ago and it was the banks anti fraud software rejecting the payment.Once the bank was aware that a payment to an abroad account was going to be made it went through OK
My cc company rejects overseas charges almost every time, but then I get a call or text asking if the charge is valid. After I confirm it's legit, the vendor needs to run the card again, and it then goes through.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
If You are asking me , I don't see reasons for people living in the U.S ordering from overseas, You have plenty of equally good tobaccoes available at fraction of the EU Prices,
•nothing like HU
•most the Dan Tabak offerings are not available here
•Most of the private label K&K offerings not available
•capstan blue: 450g box = $60 USD, 450g in tins in USA = $126

plus many, many more.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
•nothing like HU
•most the Dan Tabak offerings are not available here
•Most of the private label K&K offerings not available
•capstan blue: 450g box = $60 USD, 450g in tins in USA = $126

plus many, many more.
Before SmokingPipes brought in Semois, it was a real trick trying to buy it and get it shipped to the US. I managed to do it once, and the store in France included a birthday card in the package which I thought was a pretty funny "strategy." I wouldn't be shocked if SP were to bring in the HU line, because demand seems higher for this than the demand for Semois ever was...maybe some of these other ones you're talking about as well...

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Before SmokingPipes brought in Semois, it was a real trick trying to buy it and get it shipped to the US. I managed to do it once, and the store in France included a birthday card in the package which I thought was a pretty funny "strategy." I wouldn't be shocked if SP were to bring in the HU line, because demand seems higher for this than the demand for Semois ever was...maybe some of these other ones you're talking about as well...
FDA REGS BRO

• Sad
Reactions: 3rdguy and ron123

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's an interesting problem. There's a lot of speculation in this thread, but the general consensus seems to be that it's the USPS's fault: that Esterval ships its packages properly and that the USPS claim that this is either an "improperly addressed" issue or a Customs issue is false.

Assuming that's the case I'm not sure why Esterval would ever take responsibility for packages which go astray. They don't run the U.S. post office (maybe they should), and it's unclear why they would essentially indemnify customers for failures of third parties beyond their control. The only reasons for Esterval to compensate anyone for a USPS screw-up is general kindness, or as a way of continuing to encourage orders from the U.S. In either case there's a limit to the cost they should incur to cover someone else's mistakes. I have no idea how important U.S. orders are to them, but unless the number is a measurable line on their income statement it wouldn't surprise me if they eventually said "screw it, this is more trouble than it's worth." This would hardly be unprecedented; think of eBay sellers or buyers who won't sell to or buy from certain countries. And now perhaps the U.S. gets added to that rarified company.

The obvious answer of course is insurance, but it would have to be general enough to cover any possible loss (i.e. not just lost packages, but packages that aren't delivered for any reason); and frankly I doubt that such insurance is available. And if by some miracle it is, it'd be too expensive relative to the purchase price. And if by some further miracle it's not, the policies would be withdrawn after a number of claims.

As for getting your money back from Chase, my experience has been different. Decades ago cardholders, especially of status T&E cards like Amex or Diners, could count on support in the case of a dispute with a vendor. In my personal experience those days are long, long gone. You can still initiate a dispute, but the presumption of right now favors the seller. And "proving" a case is tougher than ever since many if not most transactions don't involve physical presentation of a card and the creation of a signature for each purchase. That's not to say that charges can't be successfully challenged, just that I think it's tougher to prevail today than it was in years gone by. I'd be interested in hearing how this turns out, although I know it'll take weeks or months to resolve.
Hi Jon,

It is an interesting proposition and I have no idea how it will play out. Here's how I view it. Estervals entered into a contract with me to provide specified tobacco blends for a specified amount. Estervals was unable to fulfill it's part of the contract due to an "insufficient address", constituting negligence on their part. That's about the only objective part of this whole affair. The rest is speculation.

Others have stated similar issues with Estervals, though in their cases they were either able to rescue the package before it got shipped back or Estervals sent it back to them a second time. In the instance of the person who fortunately intercepted his package, he says the address looked perfect to him. But he's not an expert in postal regulations, and we don't know the condition of the address labels on my shipment since I never received it. Maybe the ink was printed too faintly to go through an optical reader. Maybe it was incomplete. Maybe the other documentation was not filled out completely. Maybe the USPS has it head up its ass. We don't know. All we know is that the USPS deemed the address "insufficient".

Estervals made the decision to offer shipping in this manner. If they are experiencing problems with this shipping procedure, which it appears they are, they can explore other options like shipping completely with DHL. Their shipping isn't cheap as it is. If they're choosing a risky shipping procedure, I am not responsible for that. That's Esterval's responsibility.

Moreover, Estervals response for a refund if they were not willing to resend the package, was to tell me that they would charge me for EU customs fees on a package that was returned because their address labeling was "insufficient" and made it clear that they would offer no assistance. That's very bad, frankly lousy, customer service. Bottom of the septic tank service.

Since Estervals presented me with an unreasonable response, I pulled back the money I had spent, at least temporarily, pending a decision by Chase. I'm damned happy I didn't do a money transfer. If nothing else, maybe this will wake them up.

In the meantime, I've let others know what my experience is dealing with Estervals and they can make their own decisions regarding whether they want to take that risk.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jesse,
PM me what the order consisted of; if I have it, it’s yours.
I was fortunate with a few orders and more than willing to pass along to a brother.
Mark,

That's incredibly generous of you, you are one super amazing guy, but I can't accept. It's an irritation, but not a tragedy.

It's important for people to understand the risks and to get a glimpse of Esterval's policies, as provided by Esterval.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I think Jesse's last post is to the point. It's less about rights, since pretty much the definition of a dispute is both sides think they have a case. It's more about the stakes involved for each party and how that affects behavior. Jesse's analysis, his response, and willingness to share with other potential customers pretty much highlights the question Estervals (and other potential customers) has to answer.

If buyers think the possibility (1%? 5%? 10%?) of losing some fraction of their orders without compensation is too high a price to pay they'll stop doing business with Estervals. The easy guess is some will and some won't; after all not all pipe smokers visit forums and compare notes, and not everyone will extrapolate someone else's bad experience to themselves.

If the seller thinks the aggravation is more than the incremental margin justifies they'll continue their current policies, or perhaps even stop shipping to the U.S. altogether. As we all know Estervals is in a minority in that respect as it is. Most of the tobacco sellers I like in Europe and the UK won't (or can't) ship here full stop.

If Estervals does decide the business from the U.S. is too important to let disappear, however, and if they see a dip in orders attributable to delivery issues, then they'll come up with an answer. Some possibilities already mentioned are better shipping methods (e.g. quicker exit from Germany, more reliable delivery on the "last mile"), and/or replacements or refunds of orders that aren't delivered.

My guess is if Estervals goes the latter route, which personally I think more unlikely than not, they'll raise s&h prices to cover the higher out of pocket costs they'll incur. And then the ball is back in the buyer's court as to whether he'll pay more to increase the likelihood of successful delivery and/or get a guarantee of compensation for any loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.