PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Cool update, thanks. I don't get AppleTV+ but I Imagine this will be released on DVD at some point. And, I wonder if there'll be a book like before.

I think it's safe to say there will be a book like the last two series. And probably a DVD, although with that form of media dying off, I'm not sure if Apple+ will. Have they released anything on DVD or Blu Ray since they started...? I'm curious now.

Reactions: kurtbob

darkcloud

Lurker
Jun 21, 2013
Maybe someone on this post can answer a question for me. Now I have nothing against motorcycles in general. In fact, I wish I had one to cruise the open roads with. However, why oh WHY do some bikers have to have their bike SO fucking loud, that it rumbles my house and shakes the earth when they drive by? It has to be the most irritating thing in world to me, and I have no idea how these people can even stand riding something like that around. Is it a "hey! look at me!" thing? Is this something that alot of bikers look for in a bike? I don't get the appeal, personally. It's rather obnoxious, and like I said, very irritating to everyone around them

darkcloud

Lurker
Jun 21, 2013
"Loud pipes saves lives" would be the safety of it. Most people dont pay attention and see bikes. Seriously, like 10 out 15 people are on their phones all the time, from my experience. Rules of thumb, be seen, be heard!

Next is performance. An unrestricted flow or at least less restricted can enable the user to enhance hp and torque. Engine mods,tuning, and exhaust design all combine for the enhancements. Pipes are generally an easy slip on mod to get minimum gains. Side effect is louder exhaust most times. Easier to exhaust, better to cram in more fuel and air.

Now, personally.....a tuned Harley with pipes just sounds bada$$ to me. Love it. Get that lope at an idle and sound off on the road. Just depends on engine and exhaust setups. So yes, part of it is cool to us even though we know it may bother some people. I do know some riders that prefer factory sound and want it quiet, so like most things, peoples preferences vary. Cost can be a factor as well.

However, i can understand your frustrations. Loud stuff can be annoying, but in the case of bikes, it is more likely loud for safety or performance, but alot of us love it.
So....Harley riders tend to have a monopoly on this wisdom.?

deadidunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2020
Hineston, LA
So....Harley riders tend to have a monopoly on this wisdom.?

nah bud, there's plenty of crotch rockets, atv's, trucks, cars, etc that are loud as well. But, as I said earlier in a post; it all boils down to personal preferences. Mine aren't extremely loud, but it is throaty. I love them, admire others when i hear them, and if i should ever get a ticket for the sound; then so be it. People do things that i may not like or i disagree with, but at the end of the day; it's their business not mine, I have more important things to worry about.

deadidunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2020
Hineston, LA
20200828_084545.jpgHad a close call with Hurricane Laura. Shop roof was killed, ripped almost all the metal from that side. Tore the doors off and moved alot of stuff. Even vibrated the bulbs out of the light fixtures. But...my harley sgs and my cousin Indian survived without a scratch, just wet leather to recondition!!

NEmery

Lurker
Dec 31, 2019
Beaufort, SC
Bike on Beach.jpg

Great post. I love to see other's bikes!

Bike is a Shovelhead FLH with a 0.020" Over 80", Andrews AB cam, S&S E, Drag Pipes (Tuned with lollipops).

I guess I am one of those "Loud Motorcycle guys. " I prefer my bike loud, not because of safety or anything but because it performs better (For a 40 year old bike) and sounds better to me. Just like a Hot Rod, they sound better when the exhaust sounds a bit loud and well tuned...Not like a truck missing exhaust, though... I believe that personal freedoms and personal preference are part of what we are supposed to have here in the USA!

The loud pipes DO offer a bit of safety, but only in tight slow moving traffic as they do bring a little bit of awareness that keeps drivers from switching lanes on you when your in the blind spot. Horns are only effective if you have one, and I have been in emergency maneuver situations that called for me to focus on just staying on the bike with my hands in a full grip and the last thing I wanted to do was be releasing the thumb to press a horn button (if I had one)!

As for constant Revving, some guys give the throttle 'Blips' because their idle is set too low or because they have to in order to get the bike in neutral or in gear when stopped (typical on the 4 speeds and early 5 speeds)… However, I have seen way more sportbikes bouncing off rev limiters to show off than Cruiser or Harley guys.

...it is kinda tough to ride with a pipe, though.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
View attachment 42471

Great post. I love to see other's bikes!

Bike is a Shovelhead FLH with a 0.020" Over 80", Andrews AB cam, S&S E, Drag Pipes (Tuned with lollipops).

I guess I am one of those "Loud Motorcycle guys. " I prefer my bike loud, not because of safety or anything but because it performs better (For a 40 year old bike) and sounds better to me. Just like a Hot Rod, they sound better when the exhaust sounds a bit loud and well tuned...Not like a truck missing exhaust, though... I believe that personal freedoms and personal preference are part of what we are supposed to have here in the USA!

The loud pipes DO offer a bit of safety, but only in tight slow moving traffic as they do bring a little bit of awareness that keeps drivers from switching lanes on you when your in the blind spot. Horns are only effective if you have one, and I have been in emergency maneuver situations that called for me to focus on just staying on the bike with my hands in a full grip and the last thing I wanted to do was be releasing the thumb to press a horn button (if I had one)!

As for constant Revving, some guys give the throttle 'Blips' because their idle is set too low or because they have to in order to get the bike in neutral or in gear when stopped (typical on the 4 speeds and early 5 speeds)… However, I have seen way more sportbikes bouncing off rev limiters to show off than Cruiser or Harley guys.

...it is kinda tough to ride with a pipe, though.

LOVE that front end. Beautiful bike- classic design lines.

Reactions: NEmery and kurtbob

NEmery

Lurker
Dec 31, 2019
Beaufort, SC
LOVE that front end. Beautiful bike- classic design lines.
Thanks! Believe it or not a friend gave me the front end about 10 years ago. We were talking one day and he was talking about an extended springer he had on a bike in the early 80's. I joked and asked where the front end was now, and he just happened to still have it, but it was in a friend's attic in Flint Michigan... problem was that we lived in NC. A couple years later I had completely forgotten about it and he asked if I still wanted it. Of course I did! Well, it just happens that he and I were both traveling to Michigan at the same time, so while I was in Michigan he sent me a picture of it!! I jumped in the truck and met up with him and he gave it to me.

Nice ride in Tahoe. My parents live near there now in Gardnerville, NV.

Reactions: Akousticplyr

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Thanks! Believe it or not a friend gave me the front end about 10 years ago. We were talking one day and he was talking about an extended springer he had on a bike in the early 80's. I joked and asked where the front end was now, and he just happened to still have it, but it was in a friend's attic in Flint Michigan... problem was that we lived in NC. A couple years later I had completely forgotten about it and he asked if I still wanted it. Of course I did! Well, it just happens that he and I were both traveling to Michigan at the same time, so while I was in Michigan he sent me a picture of it!! I jumped in the truck and met up with him and he gave it to me.

Nice ride in Tahoe. My parents live near there now in Gardnerville, NV.

One of my best buds had an amazing springer custom. Man, it was a real pain in the butt to clean ?

Status
Not open for further replies.