PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
My first bike was a 1993 Honda V45 Sabre. Beautiful standard bike. My dad had a 1987 BMW R100S. He liked mine better and made me ride his!

72719A60-533B-4AAD-9008-F6E9A7A27CFB.jpeg

Got married had a kid, yada. Next bike didn’t come for 20 years. A Buell S1 Lightening. A wonderful bike with a turd of a Harley oil leakin engine. All torque, no performance even with Erik Buells tweaks.
9CB6C28D-6E45-4453-83BF-169A03160C36.jpeg

Now I stick to a mega scooter. Piaggo MP3 500. Rides like normal bike except no shifting, which is great in an urban environment. When I get off, I hit a button and it stays standing. Great for my bum knee.

589476C4-D522-4FB1-8038-11F11DD75821.jpeg

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Maybe someone on this post can answer a question for me. Now I have nothing against motorcycles in general. In fact, I wish I had one to cruise the open roads with. However, why oh WHY do some bikers have to have their bike SO fucking loud, that it rumbles my house and shakes the earth when they drive by? It has to be the most irritating thing in world to me, and I have no idea how these people can even stand riding something like that around. Is it a "hey! look at me!" thing? Is this something that alot of bikers look for in a bike? I don't get the appeal, personally. It's rather obnoxious, and like I said, very irritating to everyone around them.

"Loud pipes saves lives" would be the safety of it. Most people dont pay attention and see bikes. Seriously, like 10 out 15 people are on their phones all the time, from my experience. Rules of thumb, be seen, be heard!

Next is performance. An unrestricted flow or at least less restricted can enable the user to enhance hp and torque. Engine mods,tuning, and exhaust design all combine for the enhancements. Pipes are generally an easy slip on mod to get minimum gains. Side effect is louder exhaust most times. Easier to exhaust, better to cram in more fuel and air.I

Now, personally.....a tuned Harley with pipes just sounds bada$$ to me.

Seriously? Forgive me, but it's an asshole thing. It's a "Hey, look at me,I didn't do well in school or life or I have bad self esteem and want you to.think I'm a bad add so I need this bike to get some attention!"

The "loud pipes save lives" thing has ZERO studies behind it to prove it. None. Most of the time people are irritated it's by a pack of Harley's with open pipes that don't sound tuned. Even a tuned Harley doesn't sound tuned compared to a truly tuned racing engine, I know, I owned a Buell with a tuned Harley engine.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My first bike was a 1993 Honda V45 Sabre. Beautiful standard bike.

My 3rd bike was an '83 V45 Magna. A great machine. Dependable, quick and easy to maintain.

Got rid of it when I suspected the cam chains would soon need attention.

1594508235100.png

My cousin, Johnny, took me on my first motorcycle ride in the mid 80's on an '83 Magna.

Imagine his joy and surprise when I showed up 20 years later on an '83 Magna. ?

I've always wanted to ride the V65, just once. They are supposedly incredible beasts that prompt you to consider your mortality.

1594508226286.jpeg

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
My 3rd bike was an '83 V45 Magna. A great machine. Dependable, quick and easy to maintain.

Got rid of it when I suspected the cam chains would soon need attention.

View attachment 36021

My cousin, Johnny, took me on my first motorcycle ride in the mid 80's on an '83 Magna.

Imagine his joy and surprise when I showed up 20 years later on an '83 Magna. ?

I've always wanted to ride the V65, just once. They are supposedly incredible beasts that prompt you to consider your mortality.

View attachment 36020

same with the Ducati Diavel. If I ever find out I’m terminal, I’m getting one. If I have an accident at speed, they will be able to bury me in a half gallon coffee can due to compression rotf

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Braved the heat index of something crazy like 105 deg to put some miles on the bike and check out a state park campsite.

The Battle of Fort Blakeley is considered the last major battle and the last charge of the Civil War, Apr 9, 1865.

Two Medal of Honor recipients came out of this battle. It ultimately resulted in the Union Army’s capture of Mobile, AL.

Nice camping facilities too!

DA9CC63C-4243-45D9-BE30-D6A264C94932.jpeg
A8C00DB9-8837-4B6E-930F-A015E206B6F2.jpeg
475C6DBE-F0F8-4F2B-9A01-7B61D1EC94FF.jpeg

deadidunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2020
Hineston, LA
Seriously? Forgive me, but it's an asshole thing. It's a "Hey, look at me,I didn't do well in school or life or I have bad self esteem and want you to.think I'm a bad add so I need this bike to get some attention!"

The "loud pipes save lives" thing has ZERO studies behind it to prove it. None. Most of the time people are irritated it's by a pack of Harley's with open pipes that don't sound tuned. Even a tuned Harley doesn't sound tuned compared to a truly tuned racing engine, I know, I owned a Buell with a tuned Harley engine.

Sorry bud, i don't fit your description, so your assumption is wrong. The rest is simply your opinion, which you're entitled to. If you read the entire thread, other members have said where an excess throttle rip allowed them to be heard and thusly seen.

Sounds, sights, tastes and everything else in this world is based on an individuals personal experience or preference, so calling people assholes because their preference is different from yours is short sighted. Many posts on this thread are.

Have a good day bud!

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Sorry bud, i don't fit your description, so your assumption is wrong. The rest is simply your opinion, which you're entitled to. If you read the entire thread, other members have said where an excess throttle rip allowed them to be heard and thusly seen.

Sounds, sights, tastes and everything else in this world is based on an individuals personal experience or preference, so calling people assholes because their preference is different from yours is short sighted. Many posts on this thread are.

Have a good day bud!

Which part am I wrong about? The majority of motorcycle accidents (78%) happen head on or from a car turning left in front of a motorcycle. No matter how loud, motorcycle pipes aren't designed to project sound forward. Their sonic waves simply don't work the way the "loud pipes save lives" crowd thinks they work. The reason you hear a fire truck or ambulance is because they are designed to be heard sonically. Loud pipes may work if someone is drifting into your lane but so does a horn, especially a horn designed to pierce through a closed car interior.

So now ask yourself this. You are out to dinner dining outside with your friends. It's a city street, lots of people out and about and someone from the bar across the street comes out and hops on their motorcycle. They fire it up and revs his engine so loud with no thought to anyone else, the hundred other people around all have to stop talking because this one person has "loud pipes" Then he takes off and the racket increases as he speeds away. Now remember the last time you are driving along talking to your wife and 4 or 5 of those drove along side you. You had to stop talking because their illegal pipes make so much noise, you can't hear each other with the windows up. Are they saving their lives? No. It's about some sad need to consider no one but themselves. Maybe asshole is to strong, but it certainly is pathetic. Be well and stay safe.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Only a few things to mention about loud pipes as I don't want to stir the pot.

The speed of sound at sea level is 761.2 mph (standard day). Respectfully disagree that one can't hear a Harley coming from your front.

Saying Harley riders "didn't do well in school" or have "low self esteem" is rather judgmental, no? I can imagine what Harley riders might say about three wheeled scooter riders... ;)

For pipes- i think of cars as well. There is something exciting about the rumble of a 454 cubic inch engine being revved at the starting line in an old classic car. It would be pretty lame having a GTO that sounded like a Toyota Camry. For lack of a succinct descriptor - a pussy.

Crotch rockets are SUPPOSED to sound like Moto GP racers.
Harleys are SUPPOSED to sound like twin cam monsters.
F/A-18's are SUPPOSED to sound like freedom.

Sorry you don't like loud pipes.

Reactions: kurtbob

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Only a few things to mention about loud pipes as I don't want to stir the pot.

The speed of sound at sea level is 761.2 mph (standard day). Respectfully disagree that one can't hear a Harley coming from your front.

Saying Harley riders "didn't do well in school" or have "low self esteem" is rather judgmental, no? I can imagine what Harley riders might say about three wheeled scooter riders... ;)

For pipes- i think of cars as well. There is something exciting about the rumble of a 454 cubic inch engine being revved at the starting line in an old classic car. It would be pretty lame having a GTO that sounded like a Toyota Camry. For lack of a succinct descriptor - a pussy.

Crotch rockets are SUPPOSED to sound like Moto GP racers.
Harleys are SUPPOSED to sound like twin cam monsters.
F/A-18's are SUPPOSED to sound like freedom.

Sorry you don't like loud pipes.

I think you misread what I wrote. I didn't say all Harley riders didn't do well in school or have low self esteem, just the ones that feel the need to have wide open pipes that are actually illegal in most jurisdictions and feel the need to rev their engines so loud they disturb everyone around them in inappropriate places. There are appropriate places like at car and bike shows or in secluded places or out in the country when you are out your buddies riding. In the city or suburbs with higher densities of people - no. It's like pipe smoking. If you were out to dinner and I started blowing smoke in your kids baby carriage would you think "He's just enjoying his freedoms!" and any one who complains about is just an anti?

I think an actual tuned engine is a beautiful thing, especially in Moto GP bike. But the loud pipes saving lives? It's a well known myth.

Personally, I don't care what kind of bike anyone rides or if they don't like mine. If I didn't have a bad knee, I'd be riding a Ducati. Even if I am not, I don't get why Harley riders are drawn to Harley's and feel the need to get dress up in Harley outfits before they go out riding but I don't have to if they are enjoying themselves.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Another negative aspect of open/straight through exhaust pipes is that you can easily burn out your exhaust valves or in extreme cases burn a hole on the top of your pistons!

The only way to prevent this would be to weaken your mixture which actually reduces your crank speed.

Regards,

Jay.?

Reactions: Akousticplyr

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Dang. I thought the long promised and elusive hover bike had finally arrived... nnnn

I have no doubt that, when it does, it will be a Honda.

View attachment 37749
florian-puertolas-00-miniature.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.