PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I am very much still a fresh face here- but I noticed the last thread for motorcycle riders was back in 2012.
As the season is upon many of us (or fast approaching depending on your location) and the virus quarantine may have already started easing restrictions, I thought it would be a welcome change of pace to chat bikes and share members’ steeds.

2001 Triumph 600, 2003 Harley Vrod, and 2018 BMW R1200 GSA.

Ride safe!

91A966C4-8DB5-499D-9311-A39DF73EE3D5.jpeg
48CDD392-66D1-4C60-A2D4-910D5A8E0EBE.jpeg

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Maybe someone on this post can answer a question for me. Now I have nothing against motorcycles in general. In fact, I wish I had one to cruise the open roads with. However, why oh WHY do some bikers have to have their bike SO fucking loud, that it rumbles my house and shakes the earth when they drive by? It has to be the most irritating thing in world to me, and I have no idea how these people can even stand riding something like that around. Is it a "hey! look at me!" thing? Is this something that alot of bikers look for in a bike? I don't get the appeal, personally. It's rather obnoxious, and like I said, very irritating to everyone around them

deadidunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2020
Hineston, LA
"Loud pipes saves lives" would be the safety of it. Most people dont pay attention and see bikes. Seriously, like 10 out 15 people are on their phones all the time, from my experience. Rules of thumb, be seen, be heard!

Next is performance. An unrestricted flow or at least less restricted can enable the user to enhance hp and torque. Engine mods,tuning, and exhaust design all combine for the enhancements. Pipes are generally an easy slip on mod to get minimum gains. Side effect is louder exhaust most times. Easier to exhaust, better to cram in more fuel and air.

Now, personally.....a tuned Harley with pipes just sounds bada$$ to me. Love it. Get that lope at an idle and sound off on the road. Just depends on engine and exhaust setups. So yes, part of it is cool to us even though we know it may bother some people. I do know some riders that prefer factory sound and want it quiet, so like most things, peoples preferences vary. Cost can be a factor as well.

However, i can understand your frustrations. Loud stuff can be annoying, but in the case of bikes, it is more likely loud for safety or performance, but alot of us love it.

Last edited:

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
"Loud pipes saves lives" would be the safety of it. Most people dont pay attention and see bikes. Seriously, like 10 out 15 people are on their phones all the time, from my experience. Rules of thumb, be seen, be heard!

Next is performance. An unrestricted flow or at least less restricted can enable the user to enhance hp and torque. Engine mods,tuning, and exhaust design all combine for the enhancements. Pipes are generally an easy slip on mod to get minimum gains. Side effect is louder exhaust most times. Easier to exhaust, better to cram in more fuel and air.

Now, personally.....a tuned Harley with pipes just sounds bada$$ to me. Love it. Get that lope at an idle and sound off on the road. Just depends on engine and exhaust setups. So yes, part of it is cool to us even though we know it may bother some people. I do know some riders that prefer factory sound and want it quiet, so like most things, peoples preferences vary. Cost can be a factor as well.

However, i can understand your frustrations. Loud stuff can be annoying, but in the case of bikes, it is more likely loud for safety or performance, but alot of us love it.
I guess I'm just getting grumpy in my old age (of 36) lol. There was once a time when it wouldn't have bothered me. I am starting to enjoy the sweet sound of silence and nature af this point in life. I don't live in a town or city for that reason. I can understand the "loud pipes save lives" theory.
I'm venting about this because lately after the kids have stopped screaming and in bed, I'm out on the porch smoking my pipe, listening to the birds chirping and taking in the relaxation. All of a sudden a bike goes by at 180 km that shakes the tobacco out of my pipe ?

deadidunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2020
Hineston, LA
I guess I'm just getting grumpy in my old age (of 36) lol. There was once a time when it wouldn't have bothered me. I am starting to enjoy the sweet sound of silence and nature af this point in life. I don't live in a town or city for that reason. I can understand the "loud pipes save lives" theory.
I'm venting about this because lately after the kids have stopped screaming and in bed, I'm out on the porch smoking my pipe, listening to the birds chirping and taking in the relaxation. All of a sudden a bike goes by at 180 km that shakes the tobacco out of my pipe ?

I can get that, i live way out in the country and i get annoyed when loud stuff disrupts my peace as well, lol,the bikes dont bother me though ?

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I ride a Suzuki VStrom right now. Lots of dirt roads here, far more than paved ones. And it’s quiet as a sewing machine.

I too take exception to the aftermarket pipes making loud bikes on public roads. I haven’t found any good evidence for loud pipes saving lives. Also often hypocritical coming from riders who ignore actual evidence for non-“badass” ways to save lives. How often do you see a loud pipes rider with a hi-vis full face helmet and vest? Or in full gear?

As far as performance goes, bikes today have more performance than ever, and far more than they need for any realistic road use. If you want more, just buy a bigger bike with twice the power rather than fiddle around with small increments.

Also, the really loud pipes are aftermarket because they create noise that is unlawful in many, many jurisdictions.

It generally comes down to someone thinking it’s badass. And I think South Park critiqued that better than I could.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I ride a Suzuki VStrom right now. Lots of dirt roads here, far more than paved ones. And it’s quiet as a sewing machine.

I too take exception to the aftermarket pipes making loud bikes on public roads. I haven’t found any good evidence for loud pipes saving lives. Also often hypocritical coming from riders who ignore actual evidence for non-“badass” ways to save lives. How often do you see a loud pipes rider with a hi-vis full face helmet and vest? Or in full gear?

As far as performance goes, bikes today have more performance than ever, and far more than they need for any realistic road use. If you want more, just buy a bigger bike with twice the power rather than fiddle around with small increments.

Also, the really loud pipes are aftermarket because they create noise that is unlawful in many, many jurisdictions.

It generally comes down to someone thinking it’s badass. And I think South Park critiqued that better than I could.
The two clowns that I am referring to were in wife beaters and not wearing a helmet at all. I doubt they had anyone's safety in mind.

To end my rant, I apologize for side tracking this thread that is supposed to be for motorcyclists to chat about their bikes, everyone.

Be safe out there and have fun ?

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
I still have my 1998 ZX6-R sitting under a cover. I just can't bring myself to sell it, but I'll never ride again, even though I really miss it. Just too many assholes with their faces jammed into their phones, never mind all the damn screens that are in cars now as standard equipment. It's such an outrageous safety issue that I honestly can't believe it hasn't been addressed through legislation yet. It's bad enough driving a car among them, forget my bike.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Maybe someone on this post can answer a question for me. Now I have nothing against motorcycles in general. In fact, I wish I had one to cruise the open roads with. However, why oh WHY do some bikers have to have their bike SO fucking loud, that it rumbles my house and shakes the earth when they drive by? It has to be the most irritating thing in world to me, and I have no idea how these people can even stand riding something like that around. Is it a "hey! look at me!" thing? Is this something that alot of bikers look for in a bike? I don't get the appeal, personally. It's rather obnoxious, and like I said, very irritating to everyone around them
I rode for many years and sold my bike a few years ago due to way to many close calls with cars. The loud pipes are just for that but not the way you think. It is to let people know there is a bike there. You would be surprised how many people dont pay attention and will come so close to hitting a biker. Not saying its right or wrong but that is the theory

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
"Loud pipes saves lives" would be the safety of it.

No. This meritless position promoted by the anti-establishment crowd doesn't match the laws of physics. Here's a reasonably good layman's explanation (without getting into the Doppler effect):

Let's start with some basic physics and a little rationality. Your exhaust is pointed backwards and by the nature of you traveling forward, you're actually leaving the sound behind you as you move forward. If that concept is confusing, think of the sound of a fire truck passing you with its siren blaring. The siren is pointed forward because the purpose is to warn driver’s the truck is approaching from behind. The next time you hear one coming, notice that it’s louder when it’s coming toward you than when it’s going away.

In short, loud pipes don't save lives. But, loud pipes do make motorcyclists seem like jerks to the public.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
No. This meritless position promoted by the anti-establishment crowd doesn't match the laws of physics. Here's a reasonably good layman's explanation (without getting into the Doppler effect):

Let's start with some basic physics and a little rationality. Your exhaust is pointed backwards and by the nature of you traveling forward, you're actually leaving the sound behind you as you move forward. If that concept is confusing, think of the sound of a fire truck passing you with its siren blaring. The siren is pointed forward because the purpose is to warn driver’s the truck is approaching from behind. The next time you hear one coming, notice that it’s louder when it’s coming toward you than when it’s going away.

In short, loud pipes don't save lives. But, loud pipes do make motorcyclists seem like jerks to the public.
My pipes on my last bike were pointed to the side right behind my leg. And i have had to rip on the throttle a few time to get vehicles to notice that I am there. I am not saying that this is true in everyone's case but I am not dismissing that it work because for me it has several times

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee

I thought you said you weren’t going to get into the Doppler effect, lol.....

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I’ve got a 2001 Harley Sportster 1200 XL, been riding since 2008. I’m glad the season is upon us! Gotta do an oil change and a tune up and get out there!

As much as I love my Harley I’ve been wanting to trade if for a Triumph Thruxton, hopefully when all this virus stuff is over and my bank account recovers I can make that dream a reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.