PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The last time I rode a bike I borrowed my cousins Yamaha 500. It was real slippery and I lost control down shifting. I went over the handle bards, got some nasty road rash and never rode a full size bike again.

I did rent a dirt bike in Aruba, it was a 125 I think. I found a sand pit and proceeded to beat the shit out of that bike. Found jumps and had a blast. I rode it down a couple of times with no injuries and returned with oil leaking and all scratched up. Of course I took the extra insurance.

That last ride was 1986. I had a bunch of customers and my manager who would park their bikes in front of my pool hall in riding season inn Rhode Island. They would shake the glass when they let loose.

• Wow
Reactions: lightxmyfire

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I too was something of a 'biker' from my late teens up until about twenty years ago.

Mostly Japanese bikes with a few British (BSA B31, Triumph Bonneville etc) it's surprising how few photos I have of my old bikes. I did however stumble upon these two a few days ago whilst searching through some old family pictures.

My old Yamaha XS 650 twin was an absolute corker of a bike and no sooner had I sold it I wished I hadn't done so.

The bike in the background is a then brand new GPz 900 and the young lady sat astride my Yamaha is my youngest daughter Abigail. Photos circa 1986/7.

Regards,

Jay.

Abigail on bike 1.jpg

Abigail and bike 3.jpg

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I've been getting ready for some motorcycle camping, just waiting on the oppressive Florida summer heat to pass.

I'm curious if anyone has any great "camping hacks" i.e. gear or trinkets they use that make life in a campsite better?

Here's one- buy non-skid drawer liner (from the roll if possible) or non-skid carpet pad and put that between your air mattress and the tent floor. No sliding around!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great selection of bikes. That Valkyrie knocks my hat off. No biker here. I need four wheels and more focus. Rented a little motorcycle in Long Beach, Ca., and did okay but saw way too many hood ornaments in close proximity. Several family members have been excellent drivers, if not bikers, and I see they have a kind of riveted focus that I never did. As Dirty Harry said, a man's got to know his limits. However, a question for motorcyclists: Any reactions to the motaur (half man half motorcycle) character in the Progressive insurance motorcycle insurance ads? I'm not sure people even connect him with the Greek mythical figure who is half man and half horse, the Centaur. I guess he is supposed to appeal to the unity with the machine that motorcyclists experience. I always wonder how bikers feel about it -- does it resonate or irritate? Or is it just weird?

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Great selection of bikes. That Valkyrie knocks my hat off. No biker here. I need four wheels and more focus. Rented a little motorcycle in Long Beach, Ca., and did okay but saw way too many hood ornaments in close proximity. Several family members have been excellent drivers, if not bikers, and I see they have a kind of riveted focus that I never did. As Dirty Harry said, a man's got to know his limits. However, a question for motorcyclists: Any reactions to the motaur (half man half motorcycle) character in the Progressive insurance motorcycle insurance ads? I'm not sure people even connect him with the Greek mythical figure who is half man and half horse, the Centaur. I guess he is supposed to appeal to the unity with the machine that motorcyclists experience. I always wonder how bikers feel about it -- does it resonate or irritate? Or is it just weird?
It’s weird to me. But not surprised. Several of the large insurers blow tens of millions per year in advertising alone. But I guess it works for them.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I'm a 4-wheeler myself but I can appreciate a good 2-wheeler as well.

To the ones who want a Ural, also consider an Indian (the country) Royal Enfield. Funky bike with lots of character and available mods.
Ahh but with the Urals you can get 2 wheel drive! They’re like $15K + though.

I like the Enfields. Great style and I think the US importers also import the Cozy sidecars. I have a 2005 Triumph Bonneville T-100 with a Cozy sidecar.

Aug 1, 2012
Ahh but with the Urals you can get 2 wheel drive! They’re like $15K + though.

I like the Enfields. Great style and I think the US importers also import the Cozy sidecars. I have a 2005 Triumph Bonneville T-100 with a Cozy sidecar.
That's the crazy thing about old Russian cars and bikes. You can get them for next to nothing in Russia or the former bloc countries but in the US they cost crazy money.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Not sure about the old ones. The new Urals are pretty cool but I think they are geared low bc they are designed for rough travel.
Brand New Urals in Russia costs today almost twice of the basic Vaz-Landa sedans, hardly anyone of the 'locals are buying them anymore, basically what keeps the factory running,and quite strong btw, is export market

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My maternal grandfather was a motorcyclist in the early 20th Century, which must have been wild since even on four wheels he was crazy fast. Even when he was older, we took a car trip from the Chicago area to Iowa and my dad insisted on taking the helm after the first hundred miles which didn't take long. I don't think Lloyd even had sight in one eye. Yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.