PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
I can share from personal experience that it can be quite complicated, if not outright dangerous, to ride and smoke a cigar. I miss my bikes, especially my '72 Sportster, and my '82 R100RT. Living in the city, as I do now, makes for a powerful disincentive to own a motorcycle. I have to travel hours just to get out of town...

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Still got my bikes back home in the U.K. and I posted on a thread several years back. I'll dig the pictures out as I have a Brough Superior SS80 and a G3 L Matchless 350 from the late 1940s. I have had them both in excess of 30 years and I have held a full UK Motorcycle License for 38 years and yes there are too many A-Holes on the road certainly in the U.K. I may just give up motorcycling for that reason. Here in the States it's much the same.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
If I ever get me a motorcycle again it'll be this Brand new Ural Patrol 2017 2 WD
View attachment 33625
You used to be able to buy brand new military surplus Urals, still in the crate, for very little. I don’t know if that’s still true or not. Might be something to look into. I always wanted one myself. They’re really cool bikes.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
You used to be able to buy brand new military surplus Urals, still in the crate, for very little. I don’t know if that’s still true or not. Might be something to look into. I always wanted one myself. They’re really cool bikes.
I have owned one from late 80ies,generally these are good &simply motorcycles under the condition you'll keep them overhauled and avoid constant speed more than 60 -70 miles per H, originally these were engineered to rural roads
as far as these newer editions go,from 2005 and onward these newer ones have little to do with Soviet era rigs, quality improved significantly with lots of Imported components in production,thus the pretty high retailing prices ,main export market for these today is in U.S (Its a privat owned company today)

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I have owned one from late 80ies,generally these are good &simply motorcycles under the condition you'll keep them overhauled and avoid constant speed more than 60 -70 miles per H, originally these were engineered to rural roads
as far as these newer editions go,from 2005 and onward these newer ones have little to do with Soviet era rigs, quality improved significantly with lots of Imported components in production,thus the pretty high retailing prices ,main export market for these today is in U.S (Its a privat owned company today)
I didn’t even know that they would do 70mph. !

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The world famous Cossack Urinal. The Soviet made version was a knock off German WW2 BMW and wasn't bad bike with a side car. In the UK they used to paint them up to look like German side car outfits. The one that was a true brute was the Chinese Chang Jiang M1 a total copy of the German WW2 outfit with a side valve engine, caste iron crank case and other advanced engineering features! rotf A good second hand one could be had for about 300 quid in the early 80s. I even knew a bloke who rode one solo to work every day.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Do any of you guys park your special bikes in the living room on display? Sounds crazy right? But I have a friend that I've been close friends with for over 40 years, and he is a motorcycle enthusiast to say the least. It seems that he's always had more than one bike at a time. So he parks one of his favorites that he's not currently riding in the living room, and his wife has no problem with it either.
Below are a couple of examples from years past. I don't even know what the bottom one is, but they all seem to fall into the racing category. He's usually on a Ducati, which to me is a scary bike!

fullsizeoutput_286d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_286c.jpeg

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Do any of you guys park your special bikes in the living room on display? Sounds crazy right? But I have a friend that I've been close friends with for over 40 years, and he is a motorcycle enthusiast to say the least. It seems that he's always had more than one bike at a time. So he parks one of his favorites that he's not currently riding in the living room, and his wife has no problem with it either.
Below are a couple of examples from years past. I don't even know what the bottom one is, but they all seem to fall into the racing category. He's usually on a Ducati, which to me is a scary bike!

View attachment 33648
View attachment 33649
Bottom bike is an EBR (Erik Buell Racing), formerly based in Wisconsin. I believe they went bankrupt a few years ago.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I had a Buell 1125r. Great, no, an awesome bike. It was the predecessor to the EBR 1190rs pictured. When Harley terminated Buell motorcycle company Eric Buell had a non compete. After it expired he started EBR, which is sadly now closed. World class bikes, made in the US.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I had a Buell 1125r. Great, no, an awesome bike. It was the predecessor to the EBR 1190rs pictured. When Harley terminated Buell motorcycle company Eric Buell had a non compete. After it expired he started EBR, which is sadly now closed. World class bikes, made in the US.

Before closing it's doors- Buell asked a design company for 1125 refresh ideas. This is what they proposed. Whoa.

edda-design-revamps-buell-1125r-28923_1.jpg

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I used to ride motorcycles when I was young and single. Now I'm middle aged with a wife, two kids (one of which has cerebral palsy and has a walker, crutches and other equipment) and a large dog. So now I have a Toyota minivan, which I actually really like.

I do miss riding though, especially in the first couple weeks of summer. Getting hit by cars really sucks though. Try not to do that. I got hit when I was 18 and it still hurts 20 years later.

I had older Yamahas, a 1981 Maxim 650, a 1987 Radian YX600, and a 1978 XS1100.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi

View attachment 33648
View attachment 33649
Ok, just one more, then I'll shut up. This was their Christmas tree one year. At least the colors are right.

fullsizeoutput_286e.jpeg

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
I had three different motorcycles used as main (and only) mode of transport in my early 20's. Last was a Honda Africa Twin. I remember that even then I would rather spend a sunny summer day on the mountain bike in the woods, as opposed to sitting on the motorcycle sweating in full gear. Now you could tempt me with a Harley road trip in the US.. but that's a no-go with the family :)

Status
Not open for further replies.