PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
I am not at liberty to disclose such information, as there is a a remote chance that my wife might read this thread.
Hahaha The responses here are fascinating. It's a hobby, after all, and the way we spend seems unrelated to need, even if it were assumed that we need to smoke 10x daily. I'll tell you one thing though - I have exceeded my tolerance for lousy pipes whose only attraction was that they provided a non-committal entry into an uncertain new interest. I'm certain and committed, and my expectations are higher now, so my monthly spend is going up, unless some of you want to buy some crappy pipes. I can inflate the price if it makes you feel better about the purchase.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
If I had been offended I wouldn't have bothered with an answer. One gets a ton of intrusive questions daily, telemarketers, children, the rude, the curious, and so forth. I very rarely get offended when people let their curiosity over-ride good manners. Curiosity is tough to internalize I find. I've made the error myself much as try not to. I usually start such inquiries with, "Please excuse my impertinence but, what did you pay for your car/horse/camera/etc." Sometimes you just gotta ask I suppose.puffy

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
So, right now I am accumulating the shapes I prefer because that's what makes me the most satisfied. Since I don't know enough to appreciate a good pipe from a poor one, shape is all that matters. In the past month I've spent $100 on two estate "author" shaped pipes, and $21 for a vintage mid '70's MM Freehand.

Yesterday a Mastercraft (Mastercraft - Pipedia ) $16 for a COL. HENRY FRASER LOVAT. Colonel Henry Fraser Lovat (France) - Very Keen on Pipes (vkpipes.com)

My last tobacco acquisition cost $14 from a local tobacconist.

I bought 600 Diamond wood matches for $3.

Besides their custom blends, the local shop carries MacBaren tobaccos and I am thinking about getting a tin. Not sure the cost, but probably $12 or so.

So far, it has been much fun learning from the seaconed members here and also the histories using Pipedia.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Likely we all spend differently depending upon each's situation. However, I think a lot of us who have recently joined this endeavor to sustain the culture? will spend more in the beginning as they accumulate experience.

I think pipe smoking has helped keep me alive because it has provided a relief from stress in so many ways.
When I bought my first cob, I had no idea, I had only recently returned to tobacco smoking, and that was ryo and after about yet another 5 yr quit. Once again...stress caught up with me.
In desperation, I smoked a cigarette. It seemed to help. I was rolling from an old batch of Drum or OHM that i'd kept hanging around. When I could get those papers that came with Drum, I was ok, but I was still not happy inhaling burnt paper.
I decided to go get a cob at the drugstore and within a month I found this forum and learned so much!
Nowadays I buy tobacco only, and only once or twice a year typically, in bulk, and about $200 at a time.
I live on a fixed income, within my means, and that too helps with stress relief.WIN_20210211_08_29_44_Pro.jpg

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I might have spent $200 on tobacco since January of this year. And that may be shooting high. I just don't need or want anything. I don't buy pipes or tobacco on a whim. I'm well stocked on tobacco and supplies. I have more great pipes than I can keep up with. My humidor is brimming with good cigars........ What in the world are you guys spending $100-$1000 a month on?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
If I had been offended I wouldn't have bothered with an answer. One gets a ton of intrusive questions daily, telemarketers, children, the rude, the curious, and so forth. I very rarely get offended when people let their curiosity over-ride good manners. Curiosity is tough to internalize I find. I've made the error myself much as try not to. I usually start such inquiries with, "Please excuse my impertinence but, what did you pay for your car/horse/camera/etc." Sometimes you just gotta ask I suppose.puffy
So, it's your natural state of being. I can understand that.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I don't understand why some spend small fortunes on pipes and/or tobacco. I kinda understand treating an expensive pipe as a handmade work of art, therefore justifying a high price tag, and I can understand stocking up on your favorite blends so you never have to worry about them getting discontinued or having to smoke them fresh or with altered recipes, etc. But I don't understand the massive cellars and hoarding more than could be smoked in a lifetime.
I smoke 3 "average" (group 4-5ish) sized bowls a day. Sometimes more. At that rate it takes me about a month to smoke through 2oz. If I average out the prices of the few pipes I buy each year by month, not including the first year of overexcited impulse buying, and the few tobacco purchases from b&ms and online retailers, I'd say it would be around $25 per month.
Even at that lowly pittance, my cellar continues to overflow any space it occupies, and my pipe racks are loaded with pipes I wouldn't part with. I feel a certain shame when I count my pipes and multiply that number by even the lowest price I've paid for one.
I admit, I've never commissioned a pipe, or even purchased a >$200 pipe. And I've certainly never paid scalper prices for tobacco (even though I've managed to acquire several unicorns, I've always traded on their retail value) but I have more great pipes and tobaccos than I know what to do with, and I think I'd be set for a good 6 or 7 years if I couldn't acquire any more for whatever reason.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
If I had been offended I wouldn't have bothered with an answer. One gets a ton of intrusive questions daily, telemarketers, children, the rude, the curious, and so forth. I very rarely get offended when people let their curiosity over-ride good manners. Curiosity is tough to internalize I find. I've made the error myself much as try not to. I usually start such inquiries with, "Please excuse my impertinence but, what did you pay for your car/horse/camera/etc." Sometimes you

I've written before, "Always expect the worst from people. You will never be disappointed and sometimes, infrequently, pleasantly surprised." Rudeness, a lack of manners, are all part and parcel if human interaction.
You misspelled "of" but I expected no better

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
My budget is $150/week for hobbies, which pipe smoking is for me at this point in time. Sometimes, that whole $150 goes to a SP order. Other times my motorcycle or aquariums may need some financial loving.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Warren, forgive me for being nosey, but how much were your K1's this year? I am quite sure that can't be intrusive, but you might find it to be so. Or were a 1099 guy, and have to pay quarterlies? If you feel I am being nosey please let me know and tell me to piss off.

Status
Not open for further replies.