PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
After seeing the what has become of the victims to pedophiles and rapists I can say with full conviction that pedophiles and rapists are not people worth a damn thing nor a single consideration besides in what matter should they suffer for what they’ve done to those who were innocent
Yes, people are cruel and do great harm.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
If you ever want to get rid of one of your rev calabash cobs let me know...

Me that Dunhull too! :) LOL

That’s directed @chasing he gets the joke... ;)

I don't understand why some spend small fortunes on pipes and/or tobacco. I kinda understand treating an expensive pipe as a handmade work of art, therefore justifying a high price tag, and I can understand stocking up on your favorite blends so you never have to worry about them getting discontinued or having to smoke them fresh or with altered recipes, etc. But I don't understand the massive cellars and hoarding more than could be smoked in a lifetime.
I smoke 3 "average" (group 4-5ish) sized bowls a day. Sometimes more. At that rate it takes me about a month to smoke through 2oz. If I average out the prices of the few pipes I buy each year by month, not including the first year of overexcited impulse buying, and the few tobacco purchases from b&ms and online retailers, I'd say it would be around $25 per month.
Even at that lowly pittance, my cellar continues to overflow any space it occupies, and my pipe racks are loaded with pipes I wouldn't part with. I feel a certain shame when I count my pipes and multiply that number by even the lowest price I've paid for one.
I admit, I've never commissioned a pipe, or even purchased a >$200 pipe. And I've certainly never paid scalper prices for tobacco (even though I've managed to acquire several unicorns, I've always traded on their retail value) but I have more great pipes and tobaccos than I know what to do with, and I think I'd be set for a good 6 or 7 years if I couldn't acquire any more for whatever reason.

Can you say OCD Hoarding! LOL

921C8E26-7F29-4585-AC11-04534213D166.jpeg

I have no preset budget or thoughts on it, I just take life one day at a time, I live extremely simplistic and minimal.

One day at a time, so maybe next week or month, when I get there I’ll know, or not LOL, either way I don’t spend big, I just buy whatever I need or get excited over I can afford.

Aloha ?

Last edited:

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I’m struggling with this math. I can’t see how 2oz of tobacco yields a minimum of 90 group 4-5 sized bowls?
You're right, 90 group 5s is a stretch.. I probably only smoke a 5 maybe two or three times a month.
I do smoke from many open jars and tins, so I guess I could be lying to myself and exaggerating a bit...
To know for sure, I just weighed out a few typical bowl loads of various blends and most hit between 1g-1.3g each.
So I'm really getting between 40-50 bowls from a 50g tin.
I dry my tobacco crispy brittle bone dry, gravity fill, lightly press, then poke a hole down the middle with a pipe tool. Then I use the tool as a feeler to make sure the tobacco isn't too tight at the heel. The tobacco burns straight down the middle swelling as it does, minimizing the need to tamp.
When everything works as it should with this method, I get the most enjoyable smokes I've ever had. The only times it doesn't work out is when I overfill, so I've reduced the amount I pack until everything works perfectly for me. Now, if I pack my pipe the way that "feels right" with damp tobacco, then pull it out and dry it to my preference, I can only fit between 1/3rd and 1/2 back into the same pipe.
Tins all feel like bottomless holy grails to me.. I smoke and smoke and they never empty.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
in and around 100$USD a month, SP keeps having sales, so I keep buying, the problem is keeping my individual orders below 40$USD to get them by customs without paying the excise tax.

Reactions: JOHN72
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
So if someone raped and killed your daughter and wife you'd respect them and assign them value? I suppose I would add well, I'd equate the value of each to be that of a couple of 9 mm hollow points
This reminds me of saying I enjoy camping in the Summer and someone asking, "do you like to getting mosquito bit and having poison ivy. "

Of course I am not condoning criminal behavior.

Where I live the issues are more civil in nature where people argue their positions about race, COVID-19, politics,. gender, and sexual orientation. I could add in religion or non-religion.

I used to think I was supposed to hold to a particular view because of some pressure I felt from others. It occurred to me that I can respect what others think is important for them and still maintain my own position/preferences. I also came to realize that as long as I am defending my beliefs, I never hear anyone else and I suffer from a lack of others perspective.

Hopefully, this clarifies my position.

• Haha

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
Yes I do. They are people and have value just like you.
No, they are not people just like me. They are deviants, evil people that deserve no respect and should be dealt with swiftly and severely.
Since you respect them, I put you on the same level as one of them and have as much respect for you as I do for them and we are both very lucky to not ever meet face to face...... unless you are just trolling and are not serious........ no, wait..... I have no respect for trollers on the internet either.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Not sure about spending. If I see a “must have,” I buy it, but probably purchase more in the fall and winter months.

Edit: I’ve certainly spent more since joining this forum ?

Last edited:
  • Haha

Jerry144

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2021
Hahaha The responses here are fascinating. It's a hobby, after all, and the way we spend seems unrelated to need, even if it were assumed that we need to smoke 10x daily. I'll tell you one thing though - I have exceeded my tolerance for lousy pipes whose only attraction was that they provided a non-committal entry into an uncertain new interest. I'm certain and committed, and my expectations are higher now, so my monthly spend is going up, unless some of you want to buy some crappy pipes. I can inflate the price if it makes you feel better about the purchase.
Really? What you got? When I accidentally buy crappy pipes I just send them to my brother....

Status
Not open for further replies.