March Meerschaum Madness - Let the Madness Begin!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes i made it.
And yes it was pure white when I started.
I had smoked it about 30 bowls.
Patterns began to appear.
After the beeswax renewed, the patterns were completely revealed.

View attachment 207075View attachment 207076View attachment 207077View attachment 207078View attachment 207079View attachment 207080View attachment 207081View attachment 207084
After renewing beeswax
View attachment 207085
I'm real tempted to get one of those. They are some of the lightest pipes I've ever seen.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Whachu talkin' 'bout Brian?

View attachment 207178
Sorry, I should have added the disclaimer:

Unless you live in the Embers Zone...where the laws of physics and economics don't function in the same way they normally do for ordinary slobs like me.

In the Embers Zone it's not at all unusual to find a new, highly desirable Kenan meer for $120.

My theory is he attracts these things to himself by occasionally purging his collection. So far I haven't had the will power to do the same.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
BTW...I should also add: I was really only thinking in terms of comparing those with the prices on other Altinays. You can certainly get a decent meer for the same price or even less...such as an AKB, or some no-names. But those CF series are the least expensive Altinays.

And it wasn't really accurate for me to say no bells and whistles now that I think about it...because the carbon fiber stems are really sort of that. The rest of the pipe is really stripped down, but if you want one of those CF stems it's the cheapest way to go.

Also, in case anyone is not aware, tobaccopipes.com sells some Altinays, and they have those CF series for $160 right now.

Rpink53

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
Same here! I do miss my briars a bit, but just looking at pictures helps. Sometimes I'll go and pick up my briars, even though I can't smoke em untill December.

But what a beautiful apple! Is that a Cumberland stem?
Yes that is ebonite, stem by Ryan Alden. The pipe is an IMP. Ryan reshaped the shank, widened drilling to 5/32", and hand cut the stem. It has become a fantastic pipe.

I've said it before, but there is a Market for Meerschaum pipes with handcut ebonite stems. No one seems to be willing to do it though.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
BTW...I should also add: I was really only thinking in terms of comparing those with the prices on other Altinays. You can certainly get a decent meer for the same price or even less...such as an AKB, or some no-names. But those CF series are the least expensive Altinays.

And it wasn't really accurate for me to say no bells and whistles now that I think about it...because the carbon fiber stems are really sort of that. The rest of the pipe is really stripped down, but if you want one of those CF stems it's the cheapest way to go.

Also, in case anyone is not aware, tobaccopipes.com sells some Altinays, and they have those CF series for $160 right now.

And you can get them directly from Altinay for $160, too, which I would imagine is more beneficial to Altinay. No worries on shipping, I have several of his pipes and I don’t think they’ve ever taken more than a week to get to Alaska.

I’ve been reviewing his site for the last few evenings, as well. I’m thinking about brewing some tea and really getting into this Meer madness in a bit by adding another Altinay to the stable.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Yes that is ebonite, stem by Ryan Alden. The pipe is an IMP. Ryan reshaped the shank, widened drilling to 5/32", and hand cut the stem. It has become a fantastic pipe.

I've said it before, but there is a Market for Meerschaum pipes with handcut ebonite stems. No one seems to be willing to do it though.
I didn't know he worked on meers...that's good to know for future reference.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
And you can get them directly from Altinay for $160, too, which I would imagine is more beneficial to Altinay. No worries on shipping, I have several of his pipes and I don’t think they’ve ever taken more than a week to get to Alaska.

I’ve been reviewing his site for the last few evenings, as well. I’m thinking about brewing some tea and really getting into this Meer madness in a bit by adding another Altinay to the stable.
Yes, by all means. The ones I purchased direct from Altinay were shipped very quickly. But it may not be generally known that tobaccopipes is also selling them, which I believe is the only other outlet...and some people may experience what I have the last 2 or 3 times I attempted to order direct...it no longer works with my CC because of the "3D security" thing, and I'm not going to get another card just for that.

For me it's just as well anyway because I need another one like I need a hole in the head. But the one style of Altinay I do still intend to get at some point is one of their pencil shanks. Time will tell.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
You and me both brother.

Sorry, I couldn't help it. What I had actually planned on saying was I bet there's some story behind that pipe. It is an unusual specimen. Any details on the history?
I'm sure there is, but unfortunately it's lost to me. I got that old pipe as part of an estate auction win. In fact, it wasn't even one of primary pipes I was interested in when bidding on it. It sure is a cool pipe though and I'm glad to have it. I also got another old Kalmasch recently as part of another auction lot. I'll be smoking and posting that one soon.