March Meerschaum Madness - Let the Madness Begin!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 23, 2019
Tonight's smoke is in the Yanik Celtic Knot. This thing is a carving marvel, and is a pleasure to hold.

And it smokes beautifully...for over an hour even with a fast burning blend...huge chamber.

View attachment 206881
View attachment 206882

You see a lot of very intricate designs on meerschaums, but this one still stands out. Beautiful pipe you got there, Yanik really does some great work!

- - -

Starting March Meerschaum Madness with this African Gourd Calabash, perfect hanger great for reading:

WvWEujih.jpg

Homer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
You see a lot of very intricate designs on meerschaums, but this one still stands out. Beautiful pipe you got there, Yanik really does some great work!

- - -

Starting March Meerschaum Madness with this African Gourd Calabash, perfect hanger great for reading:

WvWEujih.jpg
Beautiful pipe!

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Thanks. That one is very special to me. I feel fortunate to have gotten it. If I had to keep only one pipe that would have to be it.

It was the first Yanik I purchased. I was stunned when I saw it...and when I got to the pic of the bottom that sealed the deal. Even without that it would be an impressive carving, but that underneath portion is just off the charts.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Hi everybody! I gave in. My meerschaum madness eBay win. Unknown. About to clean him up. Can’t wait to see if it’s a good smoker! Either way, pretty cool.
View attachment 207774View attachment 207775View attachment 207776
Also, this guy *really* likes running off with my pipe cleaners. Best pest!
View attachment 207777
That is most likely a Hayim Pinhas Sultan meerschaum from Istanbul, Turkey. Probably early to mid 70's. Most of their sultan pipes all have the same general look and are not the best carving. It's not the best quality meerschaum either, so they don't color as well as other meerschaum pipes, but it should provide you with a nice smoke. I have a similar one, pictured above, and mine smokes well. Happy smokes!

Mortamyhr

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2023
Nashville, TN
That is most likely a Hayim Pinhas Sultan meerschaum from Istanbul, Turkey. Probably early to mid 70's. Most of their sultan pipes all have the same general look and are not the best carving. It's not the best quality meerschaum either, so they don't color as well as other meerschaum pipes, but it should provide you with a nice smoke. I have a similar one, pictured above, and mine smokes well. Happy smokes!
Wow! Thanks for the info! Didn’t know anything other than the stem looked older. Now just have to figure out how to make the stem fit properly😅 it sits about 45 degrees off.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Wow! Thanks for the info! Didn’t know anything other than the stem looked older. Now just have to figure out how to make the stem fit properly😅 it sits about 45 degrees off.
If you warm up the pipe stem (carefully) you may be able to remove the tenon and re-seat it at the correct spot to line up the stem. I'm not an expert in that area, so check with the more knowledgeable people for tips on that.

In the mean time, if you have some beeswax you can put that between the stem and shank and when twisting the stem on it will help seat the stem at the correct spot. Good luck!