Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I am surprised that Sykes never weighed in.

Well, I am certain that neither MacBarens nor Smoking pipes would benefit from putting any other retailer out of business, because they all have to pay them both their penny to sell. MacBaren gets their whole sale from them, and SPc distributes to them. I know that some B&Ms don't use SPc, but anyways...
Whatever is going on, I am sure they have their reasons. All we can do is speculate, and I only do that if there is a joke in doing so. puffy

I’m not sure there is any furthering speculation, Jeremy of Mac Baren stated, because this was SPC’s idea, it was only sold through them.

I get how, if someone created an idea, they can still possibly get Exclusive Rights.

I think what’s confusing, even though a company creates the idea on something like this, rhetorically speaking, wouldn’t it also still be good to have it in stock at other places, and why would that be so negative. More production, more product and more places selling, and more consumers obtaining, a win win win, with more profits for all involved.

The last I remember about the big objective of Sales, is that it’s a numbers games, more volume, means more sales, means more profit and success.

So regardless of who’s idea, since Mac Baren is not a SPC company, but a third party on their own, why limit your product to only one merchant this way.

Let a company take the credit, receive the recognition and reap those rewards for their ideas, but at the same time, create distribution for the masses.

I wouldn’t think you would loose out on the appreciation of consumers, that you helped a situation like this, and by allowing other merchants to carry stock, it would be a celebration in honor of that too.

hmm 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: cosmicfolklore
I’m not sure there is any furthering speculation, Jeremy of Mac Baren stated, because this was SPC’s idea, it was only sold through them.

I get how, if someone created an idea, they can still possibly get Exclusive Rights.

I think what’s confusing, even though a company creates the idea on something like this, rhetorically speaking, wouldn’t it also still be good to have it in stock at other places, and why would that be so negative. More production, more product and more places selling, and more consumers obtaining, a win win win, with more profits for all involved.

The last I remember about the big objective of Sales, is that it’s a numbers games, more volume, means more sales, means more profit and success.

So regardless of who’s idea, since Mac Baren is not a SPC company, but a third party on their own, why limit your product to only one merchant this way.

Let a company take the credit, receive the recognition and reap those rewards for their ideas, but at the same time, create distribution for the masses.

I wouldn’t think you would loose out on the appreciation of consumers, that you helped a situation like this, and by allowing other merchants to carry stock, it would be a celebration in honor of that too.
McClelland used to make the McCrannies house blends and even tin them for them. Sutliff makes a lot of the house blends for companies like P&C's H&H blends also.
So, I guess this will be like a SPc house blend.

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Good posting and fair question on the matter in my opinion. Business is business and we don't always know what specific agreements are made behind the scenes. Mac Baren surely minimized their costs by channeling it through one distributor but may have harmed their relationships with other organizations that contributed to their overall market share in lieu of just SP. They can favorably fix the market pricing (i.e., their internal margins) for the subject product nonetheless by following this model of limited distribution keep in mind. SP has no competition therefore there is no special discounting deals struck that erode Mac Baren's achieved EBITDA.

I tend to agree with you in spirit on supporting the B/M's for two primary reasons. One, it is the right thing to do in terms of ensuring the free-market economy. And secondly, you and I stand to benefit from that open competition. This is a small market indeed, and it would not surprise me to see more consolidations. If nothing else history and basic economic principles support the eventualities of that premise. So, let us keep supporting your Watch Citys, The Squire, and Wilkes of the world. We need them to protect our own interests and they need us to sustain their livelihoods.

Also, I am sensing that SP is slowly creeping prices on both product and shipping. Historically I favored them but am now seeing an escalating disadvantage to be truthful. Now one could argue that it is attributable to post-Covid dynamics, well yes and no. But when I hear a guy like Shane Ireland publicly sounding off about how we all should be okay with paying $50 for a tin of tobacco, hey I wasn't born yesterday. And that statement in itself is not only absurdly ridiculous but absolutely unfounded in context. It obviously veils an agenda if you follow me,

Reactions: suamrai61 and Zero
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I've never listened to one, but that is certainly good to know. Will definitely rethink purchases from them from now on.
I don’t think it’s so sinister as it may have been made out to be here, out of context:

It was really more of a purposeful, controversial statement to open up the discussion of really how cheap pipe tobacco continues to be compared to the cigar counterpart. Discussion is roughly half way into the interview.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you. I guess I am having one of my occasional grumpy days. It's an age thing.

I certainly never mean to upset anyone, and sorry if it got under your skin.

Thanks for the reply, it’s greatly appreciated. I love and I really respect all my fellow pipe smokers, of course you included too. :)

Take care of yourself, hope all is well, and have a Happy Holidays! 🎄 🎁 🥳 ❤️

Reactions: kcghost

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

hmm 🤔
well if it is exclusive and they won't sell it to other companies (I still think it's more of a this batch, the one they made to order, the one they already knew the precise number of units they would sell, but who knows) that's good for the other companies because it means they should also be able to do the same thing later if they come up with a request for a special blend. One thing is how a business treats the businesses they work with is often an indication of how they'll treat other companies.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
(I still think it's more of a this batch, the one they made to order, the one they already knew the precise number of units they would sell, but who knows)
That was my impression as well. When a retailer makes an order like this, it's "exclusive" by default. Reaching out to other retailers to see if they're even interested is an additional step. For all we know, they passed on it!