PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
My B&M, while the selection is good and I've spent close to over a grand there, is now charging $40 for a 50g tin of Deluxe Navy Rolls BEFORE taxes, so yeah, needless to say except for the most choice items Im not shopping there anymore.

I waited all year for this release and even emailed SP over the summer asking them if it would even come out this year. At the time they didnt know and when I got the email today I instantly bought 10 tins.

I couldnt care less about who sells this stuff as long as I can get it and get it at a reasonable price.

Last edited:

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Well, looking at the "historical blend" perspective... that's just marketing PR.

There's blends that are still in production that came out even before then, they're just as historical. So one might wonder "well, was this blend mediocre and that's why it wasn't made anymore?". Of course, there are other possible reasons a blend stops being made.

Regardless, what does "historical" even do for the value, beyond some psychological or nostalgic tugging? Just because something is historic, doesn't mean it's good or special, and just because something is new doesn't mean it's not good or special.

In other words, I am failing to see how historicity even matters to begin with or should, in any way, have any bearing on anything (perceived value, distribution/availability, etc), especially when it apparently comes back annually or at least on occasion, rather than once in a decade or century.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Well, looking at the "historical blend" perspective... that's just marketing PR.

There's blends that are still in production that came out even before then, they're just as historical. So one might wonder "well, was this blend mediocre and that's why it wasn't made anymore?". Of course, there are other possible reasons a blend stops being made.

Regardless, what does "historical" even do for the value, beyond some psychological or nostalgic tugging? Just because something is historic, doesn't mean it's good or special, and just because something is new doesn't mean it's not good or special.

In other words, I am failing to see how historicity even matters to begin with or should, in any way, have any bearing on anything (perceived value, distribution/availability, etc), especially when it apparently comes back annually or at least on occasion, rather than once in a decade or century.

Good point on Historical Value...

Maybe I should of said, something that was/is extremly admired and popular, also well respected, at the top of it’s game, and of course it’s historical significance.

Of course, with any products in the world, everyone has their own likes/dislikes, so matter the position of any products, to some, it doesn’t matter.

I’m only trying to say, that if something like this played, or had a very important role in the world of pipes, maybe then the situation is different.

I hope this makes sense... 🤔

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
I don’t see the ‘Same Ones Now’ doing anything as suggested.

I tried to make it clear from the beginning that I am not here to complain, cry, whine, bitch etc...

I’m only here as a member on PipesMagazine expressing what I noticed today in SmokingPipe’s Newsletter, to try and understand, by what I thought, was a blend with a respected history from Mac Baren, as to why a historical blend of significance would only be exclusive to one business.

I only expressed that we keep the post respectful and on topic, and have a serious discussion.

If you have something to share on topic in these regards, please share away.

But only making comments like you did, as I asked to be respectful, isn’t, and is it really on topic, or a positive contribution?

You’ve only been here since June, welcome to the forum. Please don’t misunderstand me, I’m easy going, and certainly not upset, nor am I getting after you. I’m only asking we respect the post for everyone, and have a serious discussion on the matter is all.

Thanks... :)
You single the one post here that is supportive of your post for being disrespectful, in a thread that is quickly turning into a pile on on you. Consider my post well and truly voided. Man alive lol.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
You single the one post here that is supportive of your post for being disrespectful, in a thread that is quickly turning into a pile on on you. Consider my post well and truly voided. Man alive lol.

I didn’t mean to single you out, or make you feel bad, that was not my intentions, and if you really knew me around here, then you would know that is not how I act.

So I apologize if I made you feel bad as a newer member here. :(

I don’t disrespect people here, or treat them rudely. I’ve been here daily on this forum for 3 years, and if someone said the same thing towards me, I would of apologized and said I was sorry.

I have great respect for this community and my fellow pipe smokers. 👍 ❤️

I did say before I wasn’t getting after you. Try not to jump so quick to conclusions next time.

This not some smash and bash, beat’em up community, it’s a very tight knit group here, very respectful, kind and generous. :)

Aloha 🤙 ❤️

Reactions: WerewolfOfLondon

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii

I didn’t realize that you were trying to be supportive, so I also apologize for over looking this. :(

Sorry for any misunderstandings. :(

Reactions: WerewolfOfLondon

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
I didn’t mean to single you out, or make you feel bad, that was not my intentions, and if you really knew me around here, then you would know that is not how I act.

So I apologize if I made you feel bad as a newer member here. :(

I don’t disrespect people here, or treat them rudely. I’ve been here daily on this forum for 3 years, and if someone said the same thing towards me, I would of apologized and said I was sorry.

I have great respect for this community and my fellow pipe smokers. 👍 ❤️

I did say before I wasn’t getting after you. Try not to jump so quick to conclusions next time.

This not some smash and bash, beat’em up community, it’s a very tight knit group here, very respectful, kind and generous. :)

Aloha 🤙 ❤️
Hey I'm sorry too my friend. Hope the weather is better in Hawaiithan it is here in London :)

• Love
Reactions: PipeIT

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Both MacBaren and Smoking Pipes have email addresses. If you want to try and get some insight into the nature or reasoning of this particular deal (which they are not obliged to share with you) ask them directly. If they give you an answer, ask them if you can share it here.

Opening a free discussion on a forum and hoping they will chime in if you can police the responses correctly is naive at best.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Both MacBaren and Smoking Pipes have email addresses. If you want to try and get some insight into the nature or reasoning of this particular deal (which they are not obliged to share with you) ask them directly. If they give you an answer, ask them if you can share it here.

Opening a free discussion on a forum and hoping they will chime in if you can police the responses correctly is naive at best.
For all we know, Sykes could just be a huge fan of Royal Twist, and that's why SP is the driver behind this whole thing. puffy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Torture of children, are we being serious here? I’m not aware of any child abuse, nor am I sure if you are being serious either. If you are, please share information online that shows some Labor Abuse issues.
It's referencing the books and movies about an insane chocolate factory. And how Willy Wonka treated kids on the tour. Sure the kids where terrible but it's beyond extreme what happens to them when you stop and think about it. It's kind of like when you realize that Wicked Witch of The West might be wicked but wasn't doing anything wrong in the Wizard of Oz. She's pretty chill about the manslaughter of her sister.
I’m assuming you know me around here, and I certainly love to joke at times with the best of them, but right now, I’m being serious here, and I kindly ask that you do as well.

Thanks ❤️

P.S. @sardonicus87 you’re absolutely correct, many places get exclusive releases, but, maybe, the idea if these aren’t some sort of Proprietary products, then it sure would be nice to see more access for others.
This is a good point; ‘Lack of Interest’.

But, from a business stand point on a Limited Release product, you’d exclude this, seems odd.

As we know, these companies are in the business of Sales, and needing products and diversity, of course, whatever you believe possibly suits your demographics, and past sales history plays a big part, etc., in determining products carried.

But it just seems odd to not want to include something considered as special, unusual, limited, not often or rarely seen, from a company that deals in Sales....

hmm 🤔
True but sometimes a companies interests and business models don't make sense without all the details. One thing that actually surprises me with the tobacco business on the levels of snuff and pipes is how equitable and fair different companies seem towards each other. Example I have had a few times where people from one company rave and highly recommend trying another brand. My point it could also be the companies agreeing in some way to let each one have their fair shake at exclusive products.
Though I still think it boils down to it's just the easiest way to go at it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
We don't know what all is really going on. It could be that they are sending it to many different places, but smokingpipes is the only company to jump on the marketing before anyone else. Just a guess. There are so many possibilities. Maybe MacBaren owes smokingpipes a huge gambling debt and this was their way of paying up. no idea.
I can't believe I have to be the one to tell you, but this is how pipe companies celebrate when one of the higher ups in the company is about to become a grandpa. The things people force me to make up to explain things that don't need explaining!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Sobrbiker