PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I noticed today on 11/29/2023 for the release of Mac Baren’s Royal Twist in the SmokingPipes Newsletter I received.

Many of us understand and would agree that SmokingPipes is probably the biggest online eCommerce pipe business in the world. But we also know there are many other big pipe businesses across the USA and world too, some of them Sponsors right here on PipesMagazine.

When I received this newsletter today, I then went online, checking at many other online sites, and to my surprise I couldn’t find one also selling Royal Twist.

Sutliff owns Mac Baren, but it’s also my understanding they own Cup O’ Joes and TobaccoPpes.com, which seemed odd it wasn’t released there the same day too.

So while SmokingPipes might be the biggest online business, and Mac Baren felt it was the best choice of releasing in this manner exclusively to SmokingPipes, it still leaves other businesses out of the loop.

I am not here to bad mouth or put any business down, especially Mac Baren, or SmokingPipes, especially as this situation is in regards to them. I have the utmost respect for them, but I also have great respect for many of the pipe businesses all across the world, that also bring a lot to the pipe world, and this situation doesn’t look like that sort of respect they deserve.

So regardless of the reasons, whether or not SmokingPipes is the biggest player in the field and Royal Twist is limited, the marketing and release, could of been played out fairer and releasing at the same time to many businesses around the world.

Let’s also not forget about B&M stores out there, especially some of them that are pretty big players.

We all get it, there’s only so much to go around, but, maybe it could of been divided up better.

The Pipe World is a small Niche market, the decent respectable businesses out there need our backs and support too, whether it’s financially or spiritually, we should at least be in support of another.

And many people might simply look at this like Special Privileges, and everyone deserves to be treated equally, and I was really saddened and disappointed when I noticed this.

This just made me think today as a pipe smoker, while we certainly live in a world of competition and unfair business, but with such a small Niche World as pipe smoking, I don’t really see the Pipe World stabbing each other in the back, and everyone honestly looks to be supporting each other with deep respect, admiration and comradery, so why play it out like this.

Rhetorically speaking, why wouldn’t all the other businesses want a release like this at the same time. I would certainly think, they might feel like this is a little uneven, unfair.

So, how does it really make everyone feel, are the businesses out there honestly saying, let’s just do what’s in the best interest for the world of pipes, but also, let’s be honest, they need to make money too, and I’m sure they’d also love to have a share of the spotlight as well.

hmm hmm hmm 🤔

Most of you that know me, know I’m easy going, happy go lucky, which also means, I do have deep respect for all the players in the pipe world, and that does mean Mac Baren and SmokingPipes too. ❤️

Just remember I said I’m not here to bad mouth anyone, so I’m not here trying to put them down either, or cry, whine or bitch. I’m only sharing, so please don’t beat on me, or the post. LOL 😝

Let’s all please keep it respectful. Thanks :)

P.S. When I started out in pipes in the early 80s, Mac Baren Symphony was one of the first blends I started out on. ;)

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You do know everything costs money. Maybe not much but enough to equate to controlling costs and profits (you sell to a customer through your company you make more then selling to a distributor but you control the risk). Basically Smoking Pipes is assuming the risk. The parent company has the order and how much they are contractually going to sell.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
The labor costs involved with keeping contacts at the brick and mortar and online tobacconists to get it all out to them is one factor. Shipping costs are certainly another factor. It's much, much easier to sell in bulk to one distributor at a wholesale price than try to sell it off piecemeal.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
The labor costs involved with keeping contacts at the brick and mortar and online tobacconists to get it all out to the is one factor. Shipping costs are certainly another factor. It's much, much easier to sell in bulk to one distributor at a wholesale price than try to sell it off piecemeal.
wait so they don't have some ompalopas (don't know how it's spelled, cause I don't care) slaving away in their factory. Well that kills some of the magic.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I believe in business many of us understand all the reasons things are done the way they are.

But, I’d like to also believe as technology improves, so can businesses practices improve, to be able to divide product up more reasonably and cost effective, so that it isn’t necessarily done, continued in the same manner.

One thing that comes to mind, that could serve a better outcome, is how good might be the Contract Deal be with Mac Baren, and the Couriers they ship with like DHL, Fedex, UPS, for shipping costs. 🤔

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
The labor costs involved with keeping contacts at the brick and mortar and online tobacconists to get it all out to them is one factor. Shipping costs are certainly another factor. It's much, much easier to sell in bulk to one distributor at a wholesale price than try to sell it off piecemeal.

I believe we all understand the many difficulties of including B&M, and how difficult this is, if they could ever really be included to the party at the same VIP Status.

Regardless of what can occur, it was simply just a comment, actually as, ‘Food for Thought’;

Let’s try and not forget the little people. ;)

P.S. I should of clarified that before... :)

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I asked that we can please keep this respectful, I’m seriously hoping that SPC or Mac Baren, or even some of the other Sponsors might jump in here and share their thoughts.

@LeafErikson & @anotherbob so can we please not carry on with ompalompas, etc... Thanks 🙏:)

P.S. Please let’s not troll the posts anyone. I’d greatly appreciate it if we can keep the tone serious here. Thank you....

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
TobaccoPipes recently had an exclusive release themselves, though I don't remember what it was (something VA-based from Sutliff, maybe a VA/per, but I forget which one).

So, other online retailers do get exclusive releases as well.

From a consumer-end of things, I'm not loyal to any one site, but with SP being big and having the easiest site, I almost exclusively use them. I have nothing against other sites, I just don't have the time or motivation to follow every single one of who's getting what exclusives and when, or who gets what blends. There's some brands that sell some blends on one site, and different blends on another. And these may not even be exclusive contracts or something. I even relatively recently made a thread called "Best of the Rest" to get a list of basically B&M's like WCC and LJP that have their own blends that can only be bought from their own websites as well as some regularly available blends that aren't available on SP. Eventually I will get around to ordering some.

As to B&Ms, a lot of what I want, my local B&Ms can't get. They're tiny and don't have the power, and there's not enough pipe smokers here to give them enough support to have that kind of power. However, C&D produces a B&M exclusive line (House Reserve) that can only be purchased at B&Ms, but that's the only line I know of like that. It's unfortunate.

But that's one of the down-sides of having such a niche market. There needs to be a critical mass to support something, and that critical mass has to also be the minimum participants at any one time, otherwise everything would be too expensive to maintain. Exclusivity deals is just one way of keeping costs low and having things still be profitable for manufacturers.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I asked that we can please keep this respectful, I’m seriously hoping that SPC or Mac Baren, or even some of the other Sponsors might jump in here and share their thoughts.

@LeafErikson & @anotherbob so can we please not carry on with ompalompas, etc... Thanks 🙏:)

P.S. Please let’s not troll the posts anyone... Thanks
Hey they started it when they aided and abated the torture of children (crappy children but still...._

• Haha
Reactions: telescopes

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Hey they started it when they aided and abated the torture of children (crappy children but still...._

Torture of children, are we being serious here? I’m not aware of any child abuse, nor am I sure if you are being serious either. If you are, please share information online that shows some Labor Abuse issues.

I’m assuming you know me around here, and I certainly love to joke at times with the best of them, but right now, I’m being serious here, and I kindly ask that you do as well.

Thanks ❤️

P.S. @sardonicus87 you’re absolutely correct, many places get exclusive releases, but, maybe, the idea if these aren’t some sort of Proprietary products, then it sure would be nice to see more access for others.

Reactions: badbriar

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
there is also always the chance the other retailers showed no interest. Most likely in my opinion it's a bespoke situation.

This is a good point; ‘Lack of Interest’.

But, from a business stand point on a Limited Release product, you’d exclude this, seems odd.

As we know, these companies are in the business of Sales, and needing products and diversity, of course, whatever you believe possibly suits your demographics, and past sales history plays a big part, etc., in determining products carried.

But it just seems odd to not want to include something considered as special, unusual, limited, not often or rarely seen, from a company that deals in Sales....

hmm 🤔

Reactions: jerry

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I have to point out that since they've been doing this Royal Twist remake it's always been a SmokingPipes exclusive.
Example: MacBaren Royal Twist Remake :: Pipe Tobacco Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/macbaren-royal-twist-remake.85340/

That started just after the TobaccoPipes acquisition so I imagine the deal was in place prior and they've just renewed it each year with each release. It's not nefarious or anything and I'd argue this isn't a big release regardless. It's a slightly tweaked version of Roll Cake using standard tobaccos, I wouldn't put it up there with the likes of Carolina Red Flake or Cringle.

Now if SmokingPipes used their C&D muscle to make all Small Batch releases exclusive I could see reason for concern, but as of right now I have no issues with any exclusivity deals. I'm more irritated at the $6 price jump.

rick3wood

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2022
The Lone Star State
Torture of children, are we being serious here? I’m not aware of any child abuse, nor am I sure if you are being serious either. If you are, please share information online that shows some Labor Abuse issues.

I’m assuming you know me around here, and I certainly love to joke at times with the best of them, but right now, I’m being serious here, and I kindly ask that you do as well.

Thanks ❤️

P.S. @sardonicus87 you’re absolutely correct, many places get exclusive releases, but, maybe, the idea if these aren’t some sort of Proprietary products, then it sure would be nice to see more access for others.
I don’t think you are making a valid point

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
I could come on here and complain that some tobaccos have been marked up so high, i.e. *Escudo Navy Deluxe 50g *Capstan: Flake Blue 1.75oz *Three Nuns: Three Nuns 1.75oz *St. Bruno: Flake 1.75oz *Peterson: De Luxe Navy Rolls 50g *Mac Baren: Royal Twist 3.5oz, that even when they go on sale...it doesn't look like much of a sale to me. I mean, i could whine and cry about that. But I'm not gonna be that guy, I just won't do it. Please don't beat on me 🙏