PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I could come on here and complain that some tobaccos have been marked up so high, i.e. *Escudo Navy Deluxe 50g *Capstan: Flake Blue 1.75oz *Three Nuns: Three Nuns 1.75oz *St. Bruno: Flake 1.75oz *Peterson: De Luxe Navy Rolls 50g *Mac Baren: Royal Twist 3.5oz, that even when they go on sale...it doesn't look like much of a sale to me. I mean, i could whine and cry about that. But I'm not gonna be that guy, I just won't do it. Please don't beat on me 🙏

No one here is complaining, crying, bitching, whining etc...

I noticed this situation and I simply wanted to express it, in hopes the businesses involved, and those not involved could share on this.

You are also expressing a different matter about ‘Pricing’, I ask that you kindly keep the posts On Topic, this post isn’t about Prices, but Exclusive Distribution.

We are discussing for a lack of better wording I could think of LOL 😆

Exclusive Rights Distribution :)

Thanks 🙏

• Haha
Reactions: Zero

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
Never said that anyone was complaining, crying, bitching, whining etc... just that I could 😆 You got it, stay on topic👍

Reactions: PipeIT

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I have to point out that since they've been doing this Royal Twist remake it's always been a SmokingPipes exclusive.
Example: MacBaren Royal Twist Remake :: Pipe Tobacco Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/macbaren-royal-twist-remake.85340/

That started just after the TobaccoPipes acquisition so I imagine the deal was in place prior and they've just renewed it each year with each release. It's not nefarious or anything and I'd argue this isn't a big release regardless. It's a slightly tweaked version of Roll Cake using standard tobaccos, I wouldn't put it up there with the likes of Carolina Red Flake or Cringle.

Now if SmokingPipes used their C&D muscle to make all Small Batch releases exclusive I could see reason for concern, but as of right now I have no issues with any exclusivity deals. I'm more irritated at the $6 price jump.

I haven’t personally followed the blend’s past history. I thought it was something that has been around originally in Mac Baren’s profile for quite some time.

Because it’s mentioned Crafted from its original recipe from the 60s, so while it might be something of a remake, it is still considered on some part of a historical blend with some past lineage of several decades.

Which I assumed, given this history, it’s still something that would be possibly something quite respectful other businesses would want to get their hands on.

hmm 🤔

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I'm not getting the non-complaint complaint.

It should be released however the marketing/sales strategy dictates. There's no "right" of any other entity large or small to have an opportunity to sell it and it's one blend in a limited amount out of hundreds upon hundreds sold every day.

I was looking at this, from the standpoint as a blend with a history dating to the 60s, so even though it is, I guess some sort of remake, it was coming across like some pretty big Mac Baren history, which didn’t seem like history you’d only make exclusive to one business.

I didn’t elaborate on this, and we get how huge SmokingPipes is, but I also didn’t stress before, let’s also make sure we are not looking at this like only a USA situation, because if it’s only SmokingPipes USA Exclusive, then what about the rest of the world.

hmm 🤔

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus
If it weren't for smokingpipes, many of the big pipe companies would have folded, and most of the artisans would have as well. They almost singlehandedly keep the hobby of pipes alive. I have no idea what this blend I have never heard of is, nor much about MacBarens, but for whatever reason, they are doing it the way the want. I will not disparage the heros of pipesmoking. I will just toast them like I do everytime someone mentions them.
Long Live SmokingPipes!!!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I was looking at this, from the standpoint as a blend with a history dating to the 60s, so even though it is, I guess some sort of remake, it was coming across like some pretty big Mac Baren history, which didn’t seem like history you’d only make exclusive to one business.

I didn’t elaborate on this, and we get how huge SmokingPipes is, but I also didn’t stress before, let’s also make sure we are not looking at this like only a USA situation, because if it’s only SmokingPipes USA Exclusive, then what about the rest of the world.

hmm 🤔
Keep that up and we are in "big fat Commie rat" territory! It's not about sharing for the sake of sharing!

Image.jpeg

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
If it weren't for smokingpipes, many of the big pipe companies would have folded, and most of the artisans would have as well. They almost singlehandedly keep the hobby of pipes alive. I have no idea what this blend I have never heard of is, nor much about MacBarens, but for whatever reason, they are doing it the way the want. I will not disparage the heros of pipesmoking. I will just toast them like I do everytime someone mentions them.
Long Live SmokingPipes!!!

I believe SmokingPipes really keeps the Pipe World a float too.

I was just trying to understand, if this is a blend with a pretty decent company history, then why make it only exclusive to one business.

Maybe looked at this way;

—————
A famous pipe tobacco blend, known for decades all over the world, released today, and only available in one country at one place.
—————

I should of mentioned what I just stated in Italics above, maybe that would of better explained where I was coming from. I only assumed Royal Twist was/is a popular blend with a long standing history, is why I made this post.

And if it is, why then make it exclusive, excluding the world from this history.

I hope this better clarifies for everyone... :)

We don't know what all is really going on. It could be that they are sending it to many different places, but smokingpipes is the only company to jump on the marketing before anyone else. Just a guess. There are so many possibilities. Maybe MacBaren owes smokingpipes a huge gambling debt and this was their way of paying up. no idea.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
The same ones now saying 'shut up and stop complaining', will be the first ones to complain when one company has totally monopolised the market and are charging what they want.

I don’t see the ‘Same Ones Now’ doing anything as suggested.

I tried to make it clear from the beginning that I am not here to complain, cry, whine, bitch etc...

I’m only here as a member on PipesMagazine expressing what I noticed today in SmokingPipe’s Newsletter, to try and understand, by what I thought, was a blend with a respected history from Mac Baren, as to why a historical blend of significance would only be exclusive to one business.

I only expressed that we keep the post respectful and on topic, and have a serious discussion.

If you have something to share on topic in these regards, please share away.

But only making comments like you did, as I asked to be respectful, isn’t, and is it really on topic, or a positive contribution?

You’ve only been here since June, welcome to the forum. Please don’t misunderstand me, I’m easy going, and certainly not upset, nor am I getting after you. I’m only asking we respect the post for everyone, and have a serious discussion on the matter is all.

Thanks... :)

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Yeah there’s definitely some kind of agreement here with MB and SP. Also, MB actually owns Sutliff who I believes owns TP so if they really wanted to be partial they would probably stock it themselves.

While the pipe smoking community is a community it’s also a business. I think deals like this are mutually beneficial for the companies that engage in them. In the car world you see Toyota and Subaru worked together though they’re separate companies vying for the same/similar market share:

1701288932816.png

I also would like to think that companies in a niche market aren't trying to figure out ways to kill the little guys (B&Ms, etc.) but I understand that they may make moves that have adverse effects to said little guys (maybe in a killing vs. letting die situation).

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I’m only here as a member on PipesMagazine expressing what I noticed today in SmokingPipe’s Newsletter, to try and understand, by what I thought, was a blend with a respected history from Mac Baren, as to why a historical blend of significance would only be exclusive to one business.
I think the long and short of it is that it’s mutually beneficial (whether financial, positional, etc.) to these businesses to do it this way.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I asked that we can please keep this respectful, I’m seriously hoping that SPC or Mac Baren, or even some of the other Sponsors might jump in here and share their thoughts.

@LeafErikson & @anotherbob so can we please not carry on with ompalompas, etc... Thanks 🙏:)

P.S. Please let’s not troll the posts anyone. I’d greatly appreciate it if we can keep the tone serious here. Thank you....
The best I can do is give you a 1:1 ratio of serious and joke posts.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
We don't know what all is really going on. It could be that they are sending it to many different places, but smokingpipes is the only company to jump on the marketing before anyone else. Just a guess. There are so many possibilities. Maybe MacBaren owes smokingpipes a huge gambling debt and this was their way of paying up. no idea.

I assumed like many limited releases that might be released at one place, eventually get released at others, so no biggie.

I was only going on about, what I thought, and failed to express in the original post, was about a supposed Historical Blend, in the pipe world being released this way.

Rhetorically speaking, like, do we honestly release in the world of pipes, items, that supposedly hold a big and rich place in the pipe world, or is it, I failed too see Royal Twist doesn’t hold that big of a place in Pipe History... 🤔

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I wouldn’t blame a company for giving a bigger reseller the lion’s share of product to sell. If you look at this in analogous terms of books being sold by small, independent shops, and a behemoth like Barnes & Noble or Amazon it’s easier to see. A small Mom and Pop shop has limited capital and shelf space to tie up—they might order five or ten copies of a book and have to sell it at full retail; a big store can offer greater discounts, etc., and ultimately sell tens of thousands of copies; the consumer just wants his or her dollar to go the farthest and will buy from the bigger venue. I’m all for supporting a local brick and mortar. I try to when I can, but it’s difficult to justify paying $25.00 for a tin of tobacco at Barclay-Rex that costs half that at Smoking Pipes.

With regard to the Mac Baren blend, we don’t know if they might’ve commissioned the release. Clearly, some kind of exclusive deal was worked out. I don’t see a problem with that. Yeah, it’s a bummer to not have access to an exclusive item—there are plenty of toys that you can only get at the San Diego Comic-Con, but that’s a perk for the person who attends in-person. Sometimes you just have to accept that not everything is available everywhere.