PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I actually sent an email to Mac Baren before making this post, I wasn’t sure if I’d ever get a reply.

But to my surprise I received a reply from the CEO of Mac Baren USA, Jeremy McKenna.

Jeremy had explained some detail over this, and just to clarify, to make sure I understood, I stated to him this;

SmokingPipes wanted to bring back an old discontinued blend, and they changed the artwork with a vintage look. So because this was their idea, it only makes sense they get the exclusive on this.

And his reply was; ‘That is the short and sweet of it.’

So there we have it! :)

P.S. If you happen to see this Jeremy, thanks again for your time! 👍

Last edited:

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I sent an email to Mac Baren to ask about this situation, and to my surprise I received a reply from the CEO of Mac Baren USA, Jeremy McKenna.

Jeremy had explained some detail over this, and just to clarify, to make sure I understood, I asked him this;

SmokingPipes wanted to bring back an old discontinued blend, and they changed the artwork with a vintage look. So because this was their idea, it only makes sense they get the exclusive on this.

But what about the B&Ms and other little guys/gals that got shut out? They always had a reason! ✌️

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
But what about the B&Ms and other little guys/gals that got shut out? They always had a reason! ✌️

Well, as Jeremy from Mac Baren mentioned to me, i guess since this was SmokingPipes’ idea, they were only doing this.

So I don’t know if we will see it at other places. I forgot to ask Jeremy about this, if other sites or B&M will carry it. I sent an email back asking about this, hopefully he’ll reply with an answer.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
It’s funny who gets what. I was just at Ron’s cigar store in Toronto, 934 Queen St West, a city not known for great pipe B & Ms, and they had a bunch of very desirable Gawith Blends like St James Flake and Squadron leader, I was shocked…. I didn’t buy any because I have an order coming from Smokingpipes of Ennerdale and twists, so I’m fine, and less interested in those blends despite the high popularity. I’ll go back though. Also, they are in the lame Canadian brown tins with no art, that maybe could be counterfeited, but i doubt it, I think they’re government sealed. For anyone in the area…

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Funny that you spent as much time complaining about this and then said you weren't complaining and you didn't want to hear anything about. You know you could have straight asked Smoking Pipes and Mac Baren "what's up".

No, I wasn’t complaining, sorry if I gave that impression. I was only chatting, and trying to understand what was going on is all.

I actually did email Mac Baren, I mentioned this a few posts back, I just wasn’t sure if I’d ever get a reply. To be honest, since it was a Mac Baren blend, I didn’t consider also contacting SPC.

I thought this was something good to post and discuss here as a community.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@kcghost & @badbriar ahhh man, you guys are being mean to me... LOL 😆

A tedious complainer LOL 😝

Just kidding... ;)

P.S. I always strive to be a good member and contributor, but if I ever come across negative, which is never my intentions, I will certainly work on my typing skills!

Be well guys & aloha! ❤️

562E6E82-1EDE-4CFD-9D71-F657854093E1.gif

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Jeremy from Mac Baren replied back;

‘This is just at Smokingpipes.com’

P.S. Jeremy is awesome! I was blown away by the extremely fast reply and further responses. I wasn’t even sure if I’d ever hear back from Mac Baren, let alone a reply from a CEO, like VIP treatment! :)

To Jeremy and Mac Baren! 👍 ❤️

Reactions: ThermionicScott

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I actually sent an email to Mac Baren before making this post, I wasn’t sure if I’d ever get a reply.

But to my surprise I received a reply from the CEO of Mac Baren USA, Jeremy McKenna.

Jeremy had explained some detail over this, and just to clarify, to make sure I understood, I stated to him this;

P.S. If you happen to see this Jeremy, thanks again for your time! 👍
One of the things that is great about the pipe community. We have decent access to the people that make the stuff we love.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Well, as Jeremy from Mac Baren mentioned to me, i guess since this was SmokingPipes’ idea, they were only doing this.

So I don’t know if we will see it at other places. I forgot to ask Jeremy about this, if other sites or B&M will carry it. I sent an email back asking about this, hopefully he’ll reply with an answer.
that makes it sound like two things. One that other merchants could do the same thing if they wanted to.
The other is that who ever said it probably was a bespoke situation was spot on ;)

I did mention later, that Jeremy from Mac Baren said this is only available at Smokingpipes.
I am surprised that Sykes never weighed in.

Well, I am certain that neither MacBarens nor Smoking pipes would benefit from putting any other retailer out of business, because they all have to pay them both their penny to sell. MacBaren gets their whole sale from them, and SPc distributes to them. I know that some B&Ms don't use SPc, but anyways...
Whatever is going on, I am sure they have their reasons. All we can do is speculate, and I only do that if there is a joke in doing so. puffy

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@kcghost thanks for making me feel bad, for just trying to be a positive member trying to make a positive contribution and share with others. :(

I also have no idea what; ‘I didn’t want to hear any about’ even refers to.

As I mentioned, I was only sharing, which I assumed others understood, it was an observation I noticed.

Last edited: