PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyboy82

Lurker
Sep 25, 2016
I have a few pipes with loose stems. the loosest ones have a metal tenon (one of my Grabow's) , and the second loosest is my meerschaum. As far as I can tell the meer's stem is acrylic. The other ones are a standard stem. (one of which has a metal stinger/filter). How do I make them fit again without sending them off or spending money on tools to fix it?

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
For briar try inserting a cotton wet swab in the tenon, get the wood good and wet and reinsert the stem, let sit till dry, don't know about the meer

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
For those it's harder to expand the tenon so use a bit of beeswax or clear nail polish. I would try what pagan said first on the briars.
The Meer you have to be really careful, if you do try the nail polish ensure that it is completely dry so it doesn't seize up, I would try the beeswax on it.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Smoking your pipes is often all that is needed, but you should click on the links (above) to read 5 different threads on this same topic.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
For briar try inserting a cotton wet swab in the tenon, get the wood good and wet and reinsert the stem, let sit till dry, don't know about the meer

I've heard of this method too, though in that version it is recommended to allow the shank to dry completely before reinserting the stem.

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
I've had some success with coating the mortise with a bit of superglue. I squeeze in just a drop and use a toothpick to spread it around quickly, being careful to get it nowhere near the draft hole. Usually one coat of the gel superglue gets the tenon nice and tight again. Just be sure it's dry before reinserting the stem.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've had a couple of newer Dr. Grabow metal tenons actually chew up the mortise. That slot in the tenon is like a blade!

Reactions: Peter - CCB
Status
Not open for further replies.