PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I am sure this topic must be in here somewhere, but what do you recommend to make a loose stem fit a bit more snug? Pipe in question is a briar canadian.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
My trick:

On lucite stems: Very gently and carefully apply a thin layer of clear nail polish to the tenon. Let it dry, sand smooth with high grit paper. Fit. Still too loose ? Repeat. Too tight ? Sand down. It'll take some time and patience to get it right, but it works.

On vulcanite stems: Use bees wax instead of nail polish. (http://www.rdfield.com/tips_and_tricks.htm)
There's also some more experienced guys here that will gently heat and expand the tenon, but I haven't gone that route (yet).
Good luck

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I saw a guy heat the tenon and then stick the appropriate size butt end of a drill bit inside.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
I had a stem that was loose, and did the heating the tenon thing. Works great just don't get the flame too close and do a little at a time. I heated and pressed the tenon against my desk and held it there while it cooled. It took about 3 goes at it to get it right.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have a loose tenon on the stem of my Dunhill Redbark. I've tried the bees wax trick to no avail. The heating solution is probably best but I haven't had the courage to try it yet. Maybe I'll test the nailpolish trick next.

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Depends on how loose it is. If it's just a little loose (and you haven't tried smoking it already), I would say smoke it a few times and it should tighten up. I've experienced this with older, estate pipes that haven't seen much use. Usually, after a few smokes, they fit nice and snug.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Martiniman, are you saying that you heat then press against something so the tenon is slightly out of round? The drill bit trick sounds interesting, but I assume you don't want to step up the interior diameter very much.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Very gently and carefully apply a thin layer of clear nail polish to the tenon. Let it dry, sand smooth with high grit paper. Fit. Still too loose ? Repeat. Too tight ? Sand down.
Would that work with pipes that have an metal tenon? I have a Brigham pipe that's been getting more and more loose and I'd like to tighten the fit up a little.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
For the very loose stem , wet notebook paper [think spitwad ]wraped around the stem and let dry for a couple of days . Usually sticks to the bowl and not the stem . Shave excess with exacto knife and know one will know . With summer coming on do not leave that pipe in the car exposed to sunlight or you will get to try this method first hand .

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Slow and careful heating, pressed against my desk or other hard surface, problem solved.
Probably not the safest way to do it but that's what an old longtime pipe smoker taught me. As long as you are careful not to let the flame get near the tenon, works fine for me.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
@cgrd
Yes mate, it works with Brigs. I have 5 Brigs and one is a desperate old model that was loose when I got it. Make sure that the fingernail polish is really dry tho before you put the pipe back together or it will just "peel" off.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Just about anywhere, fnord. I think Amazon even sells the stuff. :?:
EDIT: Found some - http://www.amazon.com/Bars-100-ORGANIC-Poured-Beeswax/dp/B00455IWK6

Status
Not open for further replies.