Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I just wrote up an article on how I fixed the loose stem on the Big-Ben Freehand I restored a few weeks ago. You can read it here:

https://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2013/08/22/another-loose-stem-fix/

There is also a link in that article to one that Steve wrote with more loose-stem fixes.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Great article Greg! I have done this trick a few times and it does work well. For those that I can't find the right size drill bit for I turn a small piece of brass down to the needed size.

I finally broke down and bought a good heat gun. It's amazing how hot they get! Sure beats the old hair dryer I was using! As you said,gloves are needed!

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
A thousand thanks, Greg. I've had a Ropp Cherrywood for more than 30 years that is now good as new. Great advice!

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Great article Greg! I have done this trick a few times and it does work well. For those that I can't find the right size drill bit for I turn a small piece of brass down to the needed size.

I finally broke down and bought a good heat gun. It's amazing how hot they get! Sure beats the old hair dryer I was using! As you said,gloves are needed!
Ed, I agree 100% about the heat gun. I can't believe how much use it gets! A guy commented on the blog about "pin gauges" that can be bought for, he said, relatively cheaply and are in increments of .001' I think. I don't think I'm going to search the out just yet but good to know.
A thousand thanks, Greg. I've had a Ropp Cherrywood for more than 30 years that is now good as new. Great advice!
You are verywelcome, my friend! That is just one of the reasons that I so enjoy reading (and writing for) the blog: So much great info and tips archived in one place and freely given!

canadianbiggame

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
I usually use either a drop of clear nail polish if the stem isn't too bad. If the stem is really loose I use a heat gun and use a 100 degree counter sink going backwards (not removing material) to expand the stem after using the heat gun.
Worked for me in the past but I like the idea of using a drill bit much better. I cant beleive I never thought of that.
Cheers

CBG

tpollock

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2013
Nice article Greg! I have used this process as well. One tip I might offer is to use a grinder or sander to put a slight radius on the blunt end of the drill bit to round those sharp edges. This helps to keep it from trying to dig into the side of the tenon as you push it in just in case it is slightly over heated. It doesn't hurt the drill bit as it can still be chucked up in a drill it just takes off that sharp edge.

God Bless,

Tim

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I just heat it up with a lighter for a few seconds, press it against a hard surface and it's good to go.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I just heat it up with a lighter for a few seconds, press it against a hard surface and it's good to go.

While that can be effective it can also mushroom the end of the tenon, which makes a less perfect fit. And it's also easier to accidentally tilt the stem to one side, effectively warping it.

tpollock

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2013
Thanks, Tim. That's a great idea and I appreciate you sharing it!

You're very welcome Greg. I love to learn and love to share what I learn. Keep up the good work brother!

Tim

hatchi

Lurker
Dec 27, 2016
Hi i had the same problem with one of my briar pipes (Vauen 5468). I haven't used it for a year or so, last night i wanted to used it and i notice the stem was very loose so i check on the internet for a solution and i got in to this forum. I notice the last post was 3 years ago but i thought to become a member and tell to other people that i followed Greg suggestion (just heat it up with a lighter for a few seconds, press it against a hard surface and it's good to go). The stem is now very firm just like i bought it and it seems to be a permanent solution.

Thanks Greg.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Most recently, I bought an old stock Chacom on sale at an irresistible price, unfortunately the stem was very loose fitting. I started smoking it anyway and before I knew it the stem had tightened right up.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Kinda drastic, I'd insert an Alcohol soaked QTip in the tenon until the Briar is good and saturated and replace the stem, let dry a bit and smoke, it will fix itself most times

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
The use of the drill bit and heat should be the last resort though. Expecially cleaning a pipe with alcohol (retort) "sucks" the moisture our of the shank and often stems become loose because of it. One should try to re-moisten the shank by holding it oven a boiling kettle or use a Q-tip with hot water in the shank. Sometimes just smoking the pipe helps. If all these methods don´t work use the drill bit.

What to do with nylon or acrylis stems? Last resort is to coat the tenon with a piece of bees wax. This will ensure a proper fit again.
p.s.: Heat guns rule the pipe restoring world! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.