PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

masked1

Might Stick Around
Jan 2, 2012
Alright, again with my ebay jobber-jabber, How would one go about fixing

a stem which is loose? Where it simply comes out easily? Ive encountered this a few times in

my looking and was wondering if it was a deal breaker.
Thanks everyone

-Cody Maske

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
Beeswax... Rub the stem with the wax in solid form. This will tighten the fit back up.

yachtexplorer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Wherever the boat is moored
You should apply the beeswax to the enon, rotate it at least three or four times as you push it slowly back in to the mortise. This may have to be repeated a few times. Remove the stem and clean up the residue the accumulates at the top of the tenon where it meets the stem. Smoke the pipe. If it needs a few more applications, do so. What you are doing is impregnating the inside of the shank (mortise) where the tenon fits, with wax. It has dried out and shrunk. The introduction of the beeswax in combination of the heat from smoking with draw the wax into the pores of the wood, swelling it back up.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
On my Ciro the beeswax didn't work, it was too loose, so I put some boiling water in a mug and submerged the tenon for a couple of minutes. Then I pressed down on the stem with the tenon flat (perpendicular) on the tabletop firmly but carefully, causing it to bow out a bit and then inserted it into the mortise and repeated the process until it just fit tight enough. you don't want to overdo it, but that's an option. On my Meer, it came with a busted mortise and the replacement I bought didn't quite fit the tenon (mortise-hole too wide). I heated up a nail by giving it a couple of passes over a torch and inserted it into the hole in the tenon. I used bigger and bigger nails until I stretched the tenon out to fit the mortise. both were Ebay pipes.

Jul 12, 2011
Could always slightly heat the tenon ( wave it quickly over a flame 3-6" away) then

Press the tenon down on a flat surface and test it out, if too tight you might

Need to sand it a bit, always works for me ;-)

dimm

Might Stick Around
Jan 7, 2012
Montréal, Canada
Yeah heating it up always work. But put it in some hot oil rather than water ot an open flame. Just heat up a bit of oil like youre gonna fry something. any oil will work. Don't get it too hot. Then dip the tenon in, let it heat up and press it lightly against the counter or insert a nail in thehole as mlyvers suggested.

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
"Could always slightly heat the tenon ( wave it quickly over a flame 3-6" away) then

Press the tenon down on a flat surface and test it out, if too tight you might

Need to sand it a bit, always works for me"
It's a good possibility but not perfect.You'll have two problems 1) the tenon rarely will remain perpendicular and probably you'll see light in some part between tenon and shank.2) diameter of the tenon will increase only on top and also after sanding will probably wave into the shank.So? the best result i obtain is to warmth the tenon and then put into his hole a tip for drill with a diameter slightly larger that the tenon hole.The tenon will enlarge in all surface and will rest perpendicular.If not enough i usually repeat the operation with a second larger tip.............carefully of course

Status
Not open for further replies.