PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsharp

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2010
Dandridge, TN
The other day I was at an antique store. I spotted a pipe that was nice looking. It didn’t have any markings as to what kind it was, but it was neat looking to me. When I was looking at it in the store I noticed that the stem was a little loose, but not too bad. After taking it home and cleaning it up the stem is now really loose. To the point the bowl is falling off. My plan is to put clear nail polish on it tonight, unless one of you feels that would be a big mistake. I’ve even thought about some tape. Anyway, let me know if I’m about to mess up.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
You'll get a variety of answers to this ranging from bee's wax on the tenon to nail polish and othe solutions. If you're adventurous you could boil a small pan of water and while holdin the stem with tongs or pliers immerse the stem only to the tenon. Hold it in the water for a minute or two and then push the stem against a hard surface (gently). This should "expand" the tenon. Let it cool and then try the fit. I've done this with some pipes and have had success in the past. Good luck.

chlogeo3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2010
I have a beautiful Peterson with the same problem. I use clear nail polish and it holds for a wee bit and then loosens up again. As far as TAPE goes I would strongly suggest against it.
This topic has been discussed before, and, I am certain our Piper Friends will respond to your Q.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I would give the beeswax a try first. The wood is probably very dried out from not being smoked and the beeswax along with moisture from smoking may serve to tighten things up enough.

chlogeo3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2010
OK "Uncle" I have some Beeswax now please advise the proper technique for application.
Thank you for being you,
Forrest

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
My solution is pretty simple... I hold a flame under the tenon of the stem for a few seconds on each side and then I push it against the counter and it usually snugs up nice and tight!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I just grab a cake of beeswax and smear a heavy coat on the tenon. Nothing scientific for sure! :D

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
I usually use my wifes clear coat nail polish. I do a light coating, allow to dry overnight, andother coating if needed and voila... stem fits

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
i just tried the heat the stem trick on my favorite cob...worked like a charm..thanks for the youtube clip..(needed to correct it since someone pulled it from the shank warm more than once lol..

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
I use wax to make a stem looser... not more secure. And heating the stem is only for those with expeience as it can lead to problems.
This is from one of my earlier posts.
"There are a couple of ways to tighten a loose stem. But first, the usual reason a stem... rubber stem that is... gets loose if because it was removed from the pipe while the pipe was hot. Don't do it!
There is a heating process to tighten a loose stem, but this takes a lot of practice and I don't recommend it to the amateur. Instead here's a trick that works. Clean the inside where the stem goes very well. Then take a "tiny" amount of super glue and swab it around the inside of the stem hole. This will soak in and cause the wood to "swell" slightly and the stem should fit tighter. It it's too tight now try a little wax or if needed some fine sand paper will work. Because the glue is not in contact with the smoke it won't affect the smoking qualities.
The whole key to this is not to use too much glue and to make sure the glue is dry before you put the stem back in!"

jsharp

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2010
Dandridge, TN
Instead of the nail polish it tried bubbadreier's suggestion and put a little heat on it, pushed it on the counter and it's tight. Worked like a charm.

chlogeo3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2010
Children have to be Supervised.
Thanks Searock for your input.
I just destroyed my beautiful Peterson sandblasted slightly bent fishtail stem Shannon D2 pipe. Because I was not under supervision of an adult. I heated the stem and when I tried to FORCE it into the shank I BROKE THE PIPE. I didn't want to make this post but felt compelled to advise the novice piper NOT to do what I did.
When in doubt, take it to a Professional.
Forrest

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I've had a lot of success with boiling the tenon. One key note in doing this that I've learned is making sure you let the stem cool down back to room temperature before trying to fit it back into the pipe.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Well I guess I will outline my process or those of you that might want to try it, because searock is right and it can go wrong.
1.) Heat the tenon with a lighter on all sides for about 15-20 seconds.

2.) Slowly push it against a flat surface, making sure that it doesn't distort it's shape.

3.) Set the stem down and leave it for a few minutes to cool down

4.) Once cool, check the fit. If not tight repeat 1-3.
:D haha seems pretty self explanatory now that I have written it out, but there you go.

yachtexplorer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Wherever the boat is moored
I use beeswax with consistently good results. I just rotate the tenon on the wax till it gets a good, milky, uniform coating and then slowly rotate the tenon into the pipe. I then remove the tenon and wipe off any excess that oozes to beyond the tenon and then repeat. With really loose ones it may require doing it once or twice more but this will solve the problem.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Since this was put up, do we have more of a concensus as to which is the best way to go - yes, I'm afraid, very afraid lol.
I have ordered some beeswax from an apiarist - do you guys mean you just rub the super hard pure brown beeswax block on or is it a beeswax mix (with whatever else) you are referring to?
Can we perhaps have this useful thread transferred to "Pipe Repairs/Maintence" please, it took me forever to turn it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.