PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
I was not quite sure about the definition of “high end” so I chose to post some of my most cherished pipes.

First up - I have been smoking this single pipe since 24th May and incidentally currently the 200th bowl. The one I have been smoking so much is of course a very special pipe made of translucent meerschaum

View attachment 166204
I've been dying to see this elusive pipe since I first starting seeing your post in WAYS. I'm very curious about how its translucent? I'd love to see a pic if you can capture the translucence.

I've been dying to see this elusive pipe since I first starting seeing your post in WAYS. I'm very curious about how its translucent? I'd love to see a pic if you can capture the translucence.
Hard to photograph translucency in the pipe. It is more evident when it has colored. If you look very closely into the picture of the shank, you might be able to see that some of the color is beneath the surface

1F3E3A55-C42B-419F-AB8B-B0B8AA4DF0D8.jpeg

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I think this clearly makes my point that PM has the best collections of high end pipes on the internet.
There used to be a private site invitation only called the Common Sewers. It was one of the many rooms that was part of smokersforum.uk.

The Common Serves was a site where all high end pipes could be discussed without having to apologize for having that kind of money invested in pipes. I was a piker to those guys. My Rad Davis and other American artisan pipes smoked great and not once was I felt out.

There were some amazing pieces of work that you would never see anywhere else. There were a lot of heavy hitters from the pipe world and the conversations were very cool. I learned much of what I know now from those guys just as I learned a bunch of cool stuff from this thread.
I was a member of the common sewers from 2010 until the passing of Ed Anderson. Loved that place. Great discussions and very informative.

Reactions: dunnyboy

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I wouldn’t be able to pick that one up for fear of snapping the shank.
Amazing piece.
Scottie put a lot of time and effort into developing her method of reinforcing her pencil shanks with surgical steel, including dropping pipes onto concrete from a 16 to 20 foot height. The only one that snapped was one where the pipe landed squarely on the slot end of the stem, and that only happened once. The sheath extends well past the juncture between the shank and the bowl.
I own 6 of her pipes and they are all excellent smokers.